Wiccan Jewelry

arizonagirl

I know there was a thread in which wearing Wiccan jewelry in public was mentioned and the reactions received, and I tried to find it and couldn't. I remember from the earlier missing post that someone said that people probably thought that the pentacles were just 'stars'.

I gave myself an early birthday present. Earrings. A Pentacle hanging from a small amethyst. I intend to wear them in public. So I guess, in a very teensy weensy way, I'm 'coming out.'

Moonklad

Arizonagirl-
Congrats on having the courage to display your beliefs. It can sometimes be intimidating "coming out of the broom closet" as they say. I have always worn my pentacle out and it can sometimes be a real challenge especially since I live in the Bible belt of the US. I have received some negative responses but the majority have just been curious questioning. I think most don't realize what the pentacle means anyway. My favorite response is "oh, I didn't know you were Jewish" to which I respond.."Not exactly..I am 5/6th Jewish" haha..That leaves them with a stunned, confused look.
Choosing to display your religious jewelry openly is obviously not for everyone. Some can not for reasons of workplace descrimination, etc and others simply just choose not to for personal reasons.
Let us know how your "out" goes :) good luck
blessings,
Moonklad

jade

congratulations!!!

i know that i wear my pentacle all the time and it has never caused me a problem and i live in an area where there are churches on every corner!

cj

arizonagirl (05 Jan, 2002 09:50):

As a christian who sees a lot of people wearing cross's and doing things that go agians christan beliefs...I APPLAUD YOU..I know you will be true to your beliefs and are wearing the jewelry for the RIGHT reason...to celebrate.

In the post about the jewlry, I was hesitant about ever wearing a penticle..but the more I think about It the more I want to design my own to represent my live cycle w/ flowers on the outside circle in various stages of growth to represent the beauty of growing to your full potential..what do you think...

I wish you well and the earings sound beautiful wear them with pride.

cj

MeeWah

ArizonaGirl: Your earrings sound lovely; wear them in good health!
I am partial to amethyst, it being my birthstone. Actually, I'm partial to many stones & love jewelry :D
I've worn various pieces of jewelry that I associate with my eclectic spiritual beliefs but they also represent love & friendship from friends--a tiny jade buddha set in gold; a sterling silver pentacle with an iridescent drop hanging from it; others.
After hubby heard me wishing for snow, he gave me a gold snowflake charm that is often seen as a Star of David. Ditto for a pentacle I've worn, too, which is not a 6-pointed star.
CJ: I agree with your thoughts. I like your design idea, too! Do you plan on making it yourself?
Several years ago at the local annual Neptune Festival, one of the many jewelry booths sold hand-made jewelry. The craftsman was a very intuitive gentleman who was pleased to work with me on making a pair of earrings. They are of carved carnelian beads in an Oriental motif & gold-filled wire. He inadvertently turned one of the beads upside-down & offered to correct it, but I liked how the pair looked, a sort of yin & yang.

Kiama

Quote:Moonklad (06 Jan, 2002 03:20):
My favorite response is "oh, I didn't know you were Jewish"

My boyfriend's Mum thought I was Jewish! I openly wear my pentagram/pentacle: To school, around town, to work, anywhere! Most people don't ask, but some just as me what it means, etc. School is probably the place I get most questions, and I've had a couple of people say somehing nasty about it, but I really haven't had any problems.

Anyway, good luck to you, Arizongirl. I hope it all goes well. Personally, I felt very stifled when I was 'in the broom closet', esp in school in Philosophy lessons, where we are often asked of our opinions about religious things, and issues such as abortion, death, crime, death penalty, and the care of the Earth. Needless to say, my religion wasn't kept quiet very long, esp. on the planetary issues part!

Again, best of luck. I think you've made a brave and wise decision.

Kiama