Wirth-influenced decks

Teheuti

Sorry about that Mary, my fault as I didn't give a better link. Here is the kit on auction on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Le-tarot-...W_Livres_BD_Revues_Livres&hash=item2566f76baa
Thanks, Freddie. A couple of things I first look for when checking out a deck's 'Wirthness' are the crocodile in the Fool and the flower on the Magician (and elsewhere). Often one or both are missing, even though I'd still call a deck Wirth-influenced. This deck looks like a possibility. Too bad it is so expensive.

Freddie

Thanks, Freddie. A couple of things I first look for when checking out a deck's 'Wirthness' are the crocodile in the Fool and the flower on the Magician (and elsewhere). Often one or both are missing, even though I'd still call a deck Wirth-influenced. This deck looks like a possibility. Too bad it is so expensive.

Hi Mary,

Boy that Magician card really fooled me. Here are some of the other cards. Some Wirth influence is there, but not as much as I guessed.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=ta...art=0&ndsp=53&ved=1t:429,r:22,s:0&tx=96&ty=82

Thanks again for the awesome list,

Freddie

Freddie

I think this deck must qualify as the kitschy-est (kitschist?) deck ever! The sparkly shoe buckles on the Bateleur... the Star maiden pouring a milk bottle... love it! :joke:

Indeed Lee... I don't really care for this deck or the price.

Freddie

kenji

1889 - Les 22 Arcanes du Tarot Kabbalistique, B&W with color by stencil.

Wirth himself says that in 1889 the deck was published under the title Mary wrote here, limited to 350 copies, by G. Poirel. But some other sources (Westcott in 1896, the magazine "LE VOILE D'ISIS" in 1928, Van Rijnberk in 1947, etc.) mention the 1889 deck as "Le Livre de Thot", limited to 100 copies. Are they identical or not? Might one have been a reprint of the other? One which includes a peculiar card is being on its way to my house, and I hope it will be some clue to the problem.

?Miscellaneous cards from de Guaita book?

They are from de Guaita's 1897 book "La Clef de la Magie Noire" (the 2nd volume of "Le Serpent de la Genèse"), which Waite reviewed in "The Key to the Tarot". Wirth drew 7 tarot cards (8 LA JVSTICE - 14 TEMPERANCE) for this book. Since I uploaded 3 of them in my last post, I will do the rest here. (See the attached files.)

Attachments

• deGuaita_ROUEdeFORTUNE.jpg
    deGuaita_ROUEdeFORTUNE.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 207
  • deGuaita_PENDU.jpg
    deGuaita_PENDU.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 206
  • deGuaita_MORT.jpg
    deGuaita_MORT.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 196
  • deGuaita_TEMPERANCE.jpg
    deGuaita_TEMPERANCE.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 198

Sumada

Hi kenji,

Was it you who bought the 1889 OW deck with a unique Bateleur recently, eh? The one that only received one bid? I would so love to have been able to be a second bidder for that!
Do let us know about the 'peculiar card' you are waiting for, won't you?

Lovely scans btw, thank you

kenji

Hi kenji,

Was it you who bought the 1889 OW deck with a unique Bateleur recently, eh? The one that only received one bid? I would so love to have been able to be a second bidder for that!
Do let us know about the 'peculiar card' you are waiting for, won't you?

Lovely scans btw, thank you

Hi Sumada,

You guessed right:) I was quite surprised that nobody else bade.
The others (including you?) may have refrained from bidding due to the peculiar "LE BATELEUR". But for me it was this card that was the most intriguing. Though I am not sure yet, for the sample image was not clear enough, I have a feeling that this Bateleur is actually drawn by Wirth. If really so, it would be quite a finding.

Teheuti

How exciting. I almost put in a bid, but then looked at my bank statement . . . no way!

Ah, well. I'm glad you have it as you are always so generous with sharing your discoveries with us. I look forward to what you have to say about it.

Thanks for the de Guaita drawings. They are the complete 2nd septenary. I wonder if the text is mainly about the Soul, which is the quality Wirth gave to this group?

Teheuti

In Decker and Dummett, History of the Occult Tarot, Wirth illustrations from 1911 are depicted from the Bibliothéque Nationale de France. Are these the illustrations from the Wirth article on Masonry or are they a deck? Does anyone know any more about them? Wirth's initials don't appear anywhere on them. I believe this is the only version in which Justice is blindfolded. A few items have been changed to what we see in the later 1926 deck, but others are still like the 1889 one.

wirth-1911-72.jpg

Lee

Mary, here are two more Wirth-inspired decks. They're by no means clones, but have definite Wirth touches.

Grimpeur Tarot from Japan. Click on the two card images for larger views.

And the Beginners Tarot.