Working Through The Blocks

AnemoneRosie

We all know how there are those times when we're just not able to tap into our intuition.
Some of the advice that I've seen is to put the cards down for a week, and come back to it later. But when we're working professionally that isn't really an option.

Other advice I've seen is to try grounding, or self-care.

What do you do when you have to keep working, but every reading takes so much longer than it otherwise would, and it's so much more difficult to find the meanings? Do you just say "sorry, I need a break" and close up shop? Is there an alternative?

Cocobird55

When I feel like this, I just take the day off. By the next day I'm fine again.

Amanda

Some oracle cards that pack a punch alongside tarot cards (like Tea Leaf Oracle is one I prefer). It gives me something 'hard hitting' to help draw out, guide and focus the creative/intuitive from tarot. When I draw tarot and oracle cards together, I start thinking things like: How do I connect the 7 of Pentacles to the Inkpot-"Problems to be resolved"? What kind of problems need to be resolved in the 7 of Pentacles? How does that person feel trying to resolve those kinds of problems? What may that person be thinking of or focusing on that is deterring them from resolving those problems? Etc., etc..

SunChariot

We all know how there are those times when we're just not able to tap into our intuition.
Some of the advice that I've seen is to put the cards down for a week, and come back to it later. But when we're working professionally that isn't really an option.

What do you do when you have to keep working, but every reading takes so much longer than it otherwise would, and it's so much more difficult to find the meanings? Do you just say "sorry, I need a break" and close up shop? Is there an alternative?

I can always do that, close up shop, as I only read online via e-mail. If nothing is coming and I know I am not in the right mindframe and that is why, I can easily walk away and go walk in nature or meditate and come back again when I am more ready.

But I see where you are coming from. To me the quality of the reading I give is hugely important especially when someone is paying (always of course, but especially then). I have chosen to give a reading late rather than giving a reading that is sub-standard. If those are the two choices, the quality of the reading always wins.

At the times when I had to postpone a reading, the client always understood. It hasn't been often, but they always understood. If you tell someone you are overtired, and that you need a little longer or the quality of their reading will suffer, And that it's very important to you to give them the best reading you can...most people will chose to wait and get a better quality reading, I find.

I think it's important to remember not to overbook ourselves though. And to remember that Tarot is a creative and artistic endeavor, not a science or something like math. We can do math when we are tired as the answers are uniform and always the same. But in something artistic and creative we need to be in the right shape inside to connect to that inside us.

Maybe it's about booking enough down time and me time into our schedules, so we don't burn out inside and can avoid the problem.

But yes. If I truly needed a break and my readings would suffer if I did not, I would say Sorry need a break, and close up shop. If the quality of our readings goes down as we are overtired or overstressed, we're not doing the querent a huge favour by staying open.

I guess if readings run long, plan for them to take that long. Then when they don't there is some me time for you.

Just my thoughts.

Babs

Tanga

If closing up shop where not an option...
Here are various things that can help me "re-connect"

1) Go off for a loooong country walk somewhere I'm really familiar with or somewhere new. It's got to be decently wild... so the park up the hill from my house wouldn't do.
I'd probably follow up with a restaurant or pub meal too.

2) Attend some kind of occult workshop, seminar or gathering...
I find meeting other people of similar mind and talents, helps me to re-connect with my own magick. So - I'd go to a seminar at my favourite bookstore... join an open pagan meeting... attend a scrying workshop...or attend a herb exploration walk etc.

3) Go and see a good Tarot reader, or other kind of occult practitioner. NOT to ask them what to do - but to observe them in action and be on the receiving end of someone in
"high intuition" mode.

4) A wild night out at a belly dance disco might also do it... but I'm too old for that sort of thing anymore. Lol. It would have to be a barefoot alcohol-less one with well behaved attendants. :joke:

nisaba

I just put myself aside. As soon as a client walks in, I flick an inner switch.

Only once, in the middle of a physically and emotionally abusive relationship with police and ambulances turning up almost every night, could I not do it. So I resigned, and lived poor for a while until I was strong enough to read again. :)

RiverRunsDeep

I just put myself aside. As soon as a client walks in, I flick an inner switch.

Only once, in the middle of a physically and emotionally abusive relationship with police and ambulances turning up almost every night, could I not do it. So I resigned, and lived poor for a while until I was strong enough to read again. :)

How horrible, nisaba. :( So sorry to hear about that.

I agree with others who posted it is best to be honest, and simply let your client know you need the day off to get back into the tarot groove.

If you "must" continue with reading, I would suggest:

Switching out the tarot deck you are using for a deck that is completely different in tone or theme.

Using an oracle deck in conjunction with tarot to get some added insight.

Indulge in some self care, a Reiki session, a massage, or meditation.

AnemoneRosie

Thanks!
I tried forcing one yesterday (and it didn't work, which is why I started this thread). I woke up feeling a lot better today, but also feeling like maybe I shouldn't push it?

Off days always freak me out because I get scared that they'll be permanent. I wish I had an off-on switch like nisaba has, except that I find that such things tend to have very high prices (as she mentioned) and I don't want to pay the cost.

CrystalSeas

I find that such things tend to have very high prices (as she mentioned) and I don't want to pay the cost.

You're paying the cost.

It's costing you trust from your quierents. It's costing you your reputation for being a good reader. It's costing you repeat customers who walk away with a poor first impression.

In some ways, recovering from a clear break is easier than recovering from a poor reputation.

Barleywine

Since I read both analytically and intuitively, I can always shift gears and take the narrative in a different direction if my initial approach falters. I only read face-to-face at present, so I can engage the sitter in this process of discovery. My objective is to pursue the story in the cards, and there are usually strands that can be woven together in different ways to create a multilayered interpretation. So I seldom draw a blank for more than a few moments. The last woman I did a half-hour reading for told me I could read for her for five hours and she would still find insight and inspiration in it.