Would Appreciate Some Feedback on Back Designs for my Deck

Which card back design do you like the best?

• Deck Back Design 1

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Deck Back Design 2

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Deck Back Design 3

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Deck Back Design 4

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • None of the designs shown appeal to me

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

CreativeFire

I have been working on some designs for the back of the cards for my deck "Creative Fire Tarot" as I am nearing the stage where I would like to try printing the cards and would really appreciate some other opinions.

I have narrowed it down to four designs, from the overall look, that are sort of similiar. The four members of my immediate family have all picked a different one so some additional feedback would be very welcome to help me decide!

I have decided to go for a white background with a black design for the backs as I like the contrast of when you turn the cards over and the cards themselves have a black background with coloured images. Also it will probably be cheaper to have the backs printed in black and white and the fronts in colour. The first thing you will probably notice is that the design is not reversable - so sorry to those who really like reversable backs but don't let that stop you from voting if you want ;)

The main image in the design is of my 'favourite' statue that I found in all my statue 'hunting' for images for the rest of the deck so she is 'special'. I have also chosen to use the lemniscate (infinity) symbol as I sort of see the connection to the inifite possibilities the tarot can reveal and the figure touching or reaching out to these - if that makes sense to anyone else but me :D

Anyway - here is the link to the web page to see the four back designs together:

CF Tarot Deck Back Designs

By the way this is the first time I have ever used the poll function so fingers crossed it is going to work for me!

I have also added an option of "None of them appeal to me", so don't be shy as I would like constructive feedback if you wish to share. :)

Thanks
CreativeFire

temperlyne

I think the first one is best balanced and centers the beautyful lady figure the best IMO. The border makes it more stable and adding another eternity symbol just feels artificial to me.

Astra

No real reason for my choice - just "feel". If it was me, I think I'd go for a black and white bouquet of some of the flowers you've got in the deck, but the statue is certainly a good image to represent what you're doing.

My first thought was "but it's not reversible", but I think that's sour grapes on my part, since I threw out several designs in order to have reversibility in the WorldTree backs. Thinking about it, I can't remember when I've ever worried about which way the backs were while I was actually shuffling or reading - but then, I don't mind reversals and don't worry about it. Readers who hate reversals will bless you.

Imagemaker

I like the way the black border anchors the image. At first I didn't think the 2 infinity symbols worked, then decided I liked the idea of the woman being both rooted in infinity and reaching for it, too. That reflects our search for truth/enlightenment, while being oblivious that we already have it.

blue_fusion

i'd go for number 4. the circles on the corners of the black border can get a bit distracting. and i love the rootedness in and outreach to infinity part. :)

ferrous

I voted for back 1 with the border since I feel that it makes it look more finished, somehow, but I also like back 3 without the border. Despite me saying that the border makes it look finished, I do quite like the clean look of it without the border.

HudsonGray

Can you shrink her down, have her standing toe tip to toe tip with a second lady (for a reversable back) and both holding onto the infinity symbols? And no borders (it's hard matching up the front borders with a back border and not have one off kilter when the printer cuts them.

rabble

I like reversible backs, but I've ended up with one that's not, quite.

I also like the definition a border gives, but chosen one without.
After starting to assemble my own, I would have to say that with a border it would be almost impossible! Although your backs are being printed (mine are stamped), so they have to line up anyway. In which case, you may as well have a border if you want one! :)

I rambled a bit there, but I still haven't had my first cuppa! Need tea!

poivre

I voted #1

Very nice!

ambermoon

I voted for back #1. Good compositional balance between the symmetry of the square border, and the dynamic tension of the figure and leminiscate.

Three elements with three different textures and weights feels dynamic and alive.