would you like your tarot author, creator, to read for you ?

HOLMES

besides the forum rule about making requests of public figures,
I would like to see tarot creator offer reading with their decks, and tarot book writers to offer readings as well. that has always been a pet peeve of mind.

it wouldnt' have to be constant,,just making (baba comes to mind first ) a baba thread where they gave five readings with their newest deck to show it in action.
then if anyone want to ask about it,, it would be there as reference,, heck it can even be a sticky or perhaps archived when the thread is done , as possibly
tarot deck creator, writers readings gathered.

look at kiama wrote her new book, It would be cool to see kiama for one time only offers 4 readings.

i really do think that tarot creators, and tarot writers miss out on that marketing opportunity by not doing a reading with their deck or a reading based on their book.

Vesper

Not me.

I want my tarot deck creators to spend their time creating decks. Anyone can read the tarot. I really believe that.

Few people have what it takes to create an amazing (or even not-so-amazing) deck.

HOLMES

hmm

ok what if it was the only deck they were going to create ?

example i wouldnt' mind a reading by the creators of morgon greer or robin wood herself.(with their respective decks of course)

or if bonnie chevote our famous book reviewer showed up to offer for a limited time only 4 readings.

then like i said before they can be gathered and kept at atf as examples of how they have read.

also if a person goes deck to deck creating without reading ,, perhaps they lost touch with some aspect of the tarot . (or perhaps not ).

---

in the poker world on forums i been to,, they have those who no longer are winning players coarching,, that is more like those who no longer feel they have in it them to read,, creating books.
then again sometimes we go through spells where we dont' feel like reading,, so that isnt' a good example.

i am more talking more about when the deck is done,, i want to see it in action,, like a musican who created an epic guitar ,, i would like to see it played by the master.

Tarotphelia

Very thought provoking . Of course , if tarot deck creators didn't actually know how to read tarot that would certainly explain a lot . :laugh:

AJ

be careful what you ask for, you might get it.
I listened to a well known do readings on a podcast and it ruined her books for me. Total crap. Basic really bad LWB responses.

On the other hand I have often wished the well known would chime in more here, but this forum has been around a long time and I would suppose they just get tired of seeing/hearing the same old subjects over and over and drift away, like most members over time.

And, said tongue in cheek with a smile, if the offer were made the same 4 of 5 people would get all the readings, they jump on nearly every single offering thread...

HOLMES

ah perhaps not,

the public could ask whoever would agree to do this ,, to read for differnt people then the others did,,
a list could be kept in a sticky of those who already had a reading by a celebrity. then any deck creator, or book author could look at that list, and if a person was on it,, simply veto them.

I don't mind if an image of a tarot author/creator/well known person get ruined,, it might even be a wake up call for the person in question.

some thoughts I had when laying down.

1. if such readings were to take place, the proof would be in the pudding and not how the cake was cooked,, aka the response of those recieving the readings,, and not stuff like did they used established tarot meanings , or did they go inuitative.

2. i remember racheal pollack forest of souls book and how she did some readings with her deck, and how easily it flowed for she created the deck.
that is the experience i would see occure here,, for the lucky volunteers to experience it,, and for the rest of us to be able to read it afterwards.
it might even clear up some questions one person had about a deck.
----

i am with you aj in the sense i get tired answering the same questions about reversals, court cards, the celtic cross, and some of these things could be all gathered in a sticky forum.. as some newbies join and they don't know how to use the search engine.
after some years here,, I admit to taking the path of "someone else can help them this time". at least for the basic questions.

edited to add,,
I didn't even know it was moved eheheh.

shadowdancer

I know of a creator who has been offering 3 card readings on his blog, and I was honoured to be one of the receivers of such a reading. He used the deck he had created (and one I own) and it was very enlightening and detailed.

I would not usually ask someone else to do the reading, but I have such an appreciation for his compassion, honesty and refreshing outlook. When I needed an objective viewpoint of something I am going through, I didn't want to consider anyone else having seen his 3 card readings in action in the past.

A lovely guy, and one I feel honoured to have as a friend, albeit we have never met.

The man in question?

James Ricklef

I do understand some of the points raised here. Would people ask for a reading just because it is a 'famous/well known' creator and not really need the reading? Would some do it just to test how they read and have a different agenda? Possibly. I think that would sadly be the case, as well as having those who have had heck knows how many readings but just jump straight in for another. musings for a different thread I know, and maybe I am being a bit grouchy and unspiritual even thinking of them but I do feel we should appreciate such offers when made and think about what we are requesting and why.
This applies to any reading request not just those requests from established or well known creators/authors.

irisa

shadowdancer said:
The man in question?

James Ricklef

Spooky :D I saw the thread title and immediately thought James Ricklef he's the only author I'd like to read for me.

Deck creators no I really wouldn't because as much as I may adore their decks and be interested in their thoughts via a companion book, website etc once I've bought a deck - it's MINE and I work with all my decks in my own way.

irisa :)

sapienza

I think one thing to bear in mind is that not all people who are interested in tarot are interested in reading the cards. I'm sure that applies to more authors and deck creators than people might think. Also, despite the way it may seem when you are here on the forum, Aeclectic contains only a very small percentage of the possible tarot market and so I doubt doing a few readings here would make much difference to potential tarot sales. I was lucky enough to have a reading from Rachel Pollack using her own deck. It was interesting but in truth I probably got a lot more out of reading her books than having her read for me.

HOLMES said:
I don't mind if an image of a tarot author/creator/well known person get ruined,, it might even be a wake up call for the person in question.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but it sounds a little judgemental. I think we should feel fortunate and honoured when tarot authors/deck creators etc participate on this forum and share their wisdom with us. To expect more seems rather rude to me.

I have to say it again.....just because someone is passionate enough about tarot to create a deck or write a book, doesn't mean they are going to be the best reader around, or that they even WANT to be a tarot reader. We are talking about two different skills here. Some people are blessed and are great readers and creative and articulate enough to also write books and create decks. Many are not and so they just do the one they are good at and leave the other for others.

gregory

sapienza said:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but it sounds a little judgemental. I think we should feel fortunate and honoured when tarot authors/deck creators etc participate on this forum and share their wisdom with us. To expect more seems rather rude to me.

I have to say it again.....just because someone is passionate enough about tarot to create a deck or write a book, doesn't mean they are going to be the best reader around, or that they even WANT to be a tarot reader. We are talking about two different skills here. Some people are blessed and are great readers and creative and articulate enough to also write books and create decks. Many are not and so they just do the one they are good at and leave the other for others.
Absolutely. I can think of a few brilliant creators I have never seen read (In fact a couple I know personally, so now I shall ask them if they do...)

Creating is not the same as reading but can be just as important in the development of tarot.

What am I saying ? - creating is essential or we wouldn't have all these wonderful new decks - and some of the most revolting decks I have ever seen have come from the hands of excellent readers. There are a variety of talents in this world. We are lucky to be able to see both in this forum !

But yeah - I'd like a reading from Ricklef too. Not necessarily with his deck - indeed, I absolutely loathe his Masters deck - just because he is so very interesting. And he gets very good results with it - it is a matter of reading talent, not of the deck used. We all here have read with horrid decks at times and got good results as well as from lovely ones - why should creators be any different ? So they created decks - but decks tend to do their own thing once let loose on readers !