Writing down meanings

orkneyfaerie

I always keep a tarot journal of spreads and interpretations etc. But, I keep starting notebooks where I have a page per card and write down meanings.
Problem is I get halfway through and decide it's not relevant for me as meanings can change and then there's all the different decks etc etc.

So I just wondered really how many people have notebooks with all the meanings you've found written out. Whether it's book learnt meanings or your own.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Enlightenment23

Hi there orkneyfaerie :),

May I ask why you feel that the meanings aren't relevant to you? IMO, though the meanings may not be relevant for every single card draw, I think whatever you do write will be useful to you in future readings. You'll be able to sort of look at what you've written and go "Hmm, no, no, no that's not it. No. AHA! That's it!"

I keep a record of card meanings digitally (on my laptop). I used to have a tarot notebook, but I noticed that I started running out of space, so I opted for a doc file so I can have infinite space.

orkneyfaerie

Hi.
Yes sorry didn't explain the not relevant bit very well!
I start by writing key words which I always find as a useful starting point and then get in a muddle as to whether I write down every meaning I interpret the card as etc etc. And then what about with different decks as cards alter slightly (or alot!) in meaning.

A computer file one sounds good, I wouldn't waste so much paper that way!

Laurelle

I have tons and tons of journals and diaries.

I don't actually keep a normal journal anymore, but use my tarot journal as my daily journal. So I write about the daily spread or the spread in general and keep it. My writing flows, explains and merges into meaning. I intentionally leave blank spaces to come back and add more details as hindsight into my own life readings becomes more relevant.

I used my own online blog to write down basic meanings because I thought it might help other people.

Barleywine

I tried a few times to keep a running journal where I captured my insights on various cards, but, like you, I drifted away from it after a while. What I do now is gather useful material from internet sites (including this forum) and put it in a binder; then I add my own notes and observations. It saves a lot of labor and accomplishes the same thing.

orkneyfaerie

Thanks it's interesting to see how people keep all their tarot info.

Barleywine I often read tarot blogs and wish I had a pen and paper next to me to keep note of a spread or good bit of info. Will have to start doing this

Barleywine

Thanks it's interesting to see how people keep all their tarot info.

Barleywine I often read tarot blogs and wish I had a pen and paper next to me to keep note of a spread or good bit of info. Will have to start doing this

If it's not specifically prohibited by the blog owner, you can sometimes electronically highlight the text and copy it (without all the graphic content) into a word processor for editing and printing. That's what I do here on this forum when I write something I want to save for my binder. Other times you can download material (like Liber Theta from the College of Thelema) in pdf form free of charge.

HeidiLynn

I write down the readings I do in a journal adding of course the card interpretations.
I always note which deck and spread I used.

I work on a specific journal of card meanings sporadically.
I tried to do it in a journal.. But now I use the One Note app so that I can access it via my phone or my computer.
I tend to just add notes as they occur.. And simply note the deck used in a footnote or in parenthesis.

nisaba

So I just wondered really how many people have notebooks with all the meanings you've found written out. Whether it's book learnt meanings or your own.

After a few decades, you'd need a whole book (or two) for each card.

Rowan Witchcraft

I did write card meanings in a journal when I was learning and it did help a lot but I don't do it anymore. I do write down my readings so that I can look back on them. I suppose having interpretations of various cards written down helps me to remember what the cards can mean