Your First Deck

GlitterNova

I'd love to hear about your first tarot deck. How did you get it? What were your thoughts about it? Do you still own it?

Zephyros

Mine was the USG Oswald Wirth, the one with the metallic backgrounds. I didn't know anything about Tarot at the time, and picked it out at a shop without knowing what I was buying. I couldn't make heads or tails of it, and left Tarot aside completely for a few years. Then I bought an RWS, but didn't really get started until I got a Morgan-Greer.

I ended up giving the OW away, something I regret, as I've learned to appreciate it in its own way when I learned more about it. I'll get it again sometime, but it isn't high on my list of priorities.

Walrus

First deck was the Jonathan Dee. I must have been about 13/14 at the time, and had begged my mum to let me buy it. I'm not sure what drew me to that deck in particular. I think I just wanted a deck, any would do.
I really wanted to like it since it was my first deck and all, but the art didn't appeal to me, and I had trouble memorising the meanings for the unillustrated pips. Eventually I gave up on it and it sat in a drawer for years.
Just recently however, I've picked it up again now that I'm more experienced with other decks. I trimmed the borders off and glittered it up to make it a bit more appealing, and I must say I'm quite fond of it now :) Not my go-to deck, but I'm glad I gave it another chance.

RavenLuna

My first was a 1JJ Swiss deck. I found it at a jumble sale as a teenager, but never grew to like it. The colours were unattractive, and the pips were too hard to memorise at the time. I eventually gave it to charity after 24 years of ownership.

Part of me thinks I should have kept it as it was my first deck, but life is too short for decks I don't get on with.

Sherilyn G

I first learned to "read" cards using the Gypsy Witch pack, which is not a tarot deck. I got that for Christmas when I was 10. I remember doing so many readings with it for my mom, I must have driven her nuts.

Then, my first real tarot deck was the Rider-Waite, which I got for Christmas in 1986. I was SO glad to finally have a real tarot deck! I still have those cards, and I still use them now and then.

Alta

My first deck was the RWS. I studied it for years and practised every chance I got. But to be honest it wasn't until I got the Robin Wood deck and studied her accompanying book that tarot really opened up for me. My first RWS got thrown out in a purge and I regret that.

Citrin

My first deck was the Goddess Tarot by Waldherr. I bought it myself, I think I was about 16 years old. I really liked it the first couple of months, but then I fell in love with the original RWS and stopped using the Goddess Tarot. I later gave it away to my boyfriend's younger sister. I'm not sure if she ever used it... I hope so. :)

Sukanda

Closrapexa and RavenLuna,
I googled the USG and the 1JJ. Beautiful decks, will go on my wishlist! :)

My first was Feng Shui tarot. I got it maybe 12 years ago and knew nothing about tarot. I was drawn to the illustrations on the box. It was Temperance.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e8/fc/9e/e8fc9e9cd2ec38b5a3df94b8a585de64.jpg

I personally think that it wasn't an easy deck to start with, since the suits in this deck are named differently than in a standard one. As a complete newbie i think it would've been easier for me with the standard suits.

Black tortoise = Wands
Red phoenix = Cups
White tiger = Swords
Green dragon = Pentacles

Over the years I used it now and then, but never really felt completely comfortable with it..
So I got other decks.
I still have it and I still enjoy the illustrations by Peter Paul Connolly and Eileen Connolly. They are truly beautiful! :)

Nemia

I had a reading done by a very good friend when I was very sad and confused, at age 18. I remembered this amazing reading and the main card - Lust.

Many many years later I saw a book on sale, Spiritual Tarot. I bought it just to re-visit this card again that I never forgot. Of course, I didn't find it there - the book is illustrated with RWS, Aquarius and Morgan Greer. But I got hooked on tarot and went out to buy a deck. I picked a box that looked intriguing to me - and it was the Thoth, and YES I found Lust again.

I've been in love with that deck ever since, and it's the king of my little collection.

Hemera

My first deck was Medicine Woman, and Jungian Tarot came shortly afterwards. But like closrapexa, I didn´t really get started before I got the Morgan-Greer. I still have them all and the M-G has aged beautifully.