Zan and BC's Excellent Thoth Adventure: Crowley Biographies

panpiper

Good interview with Richard Kaczynski.

The latest Thelema NOW podcast has a good interview with Richard Kacynski, discussing "Perdurabo"
http://www.thelemanow.com/

Lela

Finished reading Perdurabo last week and thought it was excellent! I didn't know much about Crowley aside from the usual sensationalized BS before reading it, but I have a whole new perspective on him. What an amazing life he lead... I had no idea he was such an accomplished mountain climber. He was so before his time.

I still can't believe neither Crowley nor Lady Freida Harris ever got to see the whole Thoth deck printed during their lifetimes, aside from test printings of a few cards (p.531). Makes me wonder if they ever knew how popular their beautiful deck would become, and what they would think of it's prominence in the world of tarot today?

Aeon418

Grigori said:
It's a great read, and as everyone says, the superior biography.
One thing I did notice was the huge amount of new biographical information on nearly everyone that Crowley met. There wasn't so much in the first edition, and I'm not sure if it adds or detracts from the readability of the book at times. I think the latter.

But at least it shows how thorough Kaczynski's research has been. For instance until a few days ago I had no idea that Eddie Saayman was a physics master at High Pavement, Nottingham. I was a student there. :laugh:

Favourite Thoth related quote, p.510
Yorke sent Crowley a secretary named Mrs. Martin so he could continue his work, and by October 23 he finished his descriptions of the twenty-two major tarot cards. "Polished off the last bit of the blasted tarot book and took it to be typed," he wrote in his diary. "Later, discovered that I still have to do the other fifty-six cards. SHIT."
:laugh:

Aeon418

A bit that made me laugh on p.446 :laugh:
When Germer got his license at the end of the month, he took Crowley for a drive, only to overturn the car into a ditch. In his diary, Crowley humorously recorded the incident:

What I said during yesterday's accident. (1) "Ease her up!" He didn't: so (2) "Are you mad?" He was: so (3) "Take care of the glass." (4) "Let me lower myself, so that you can get out"

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
A bit that made me laugh on p.446 :laugh:

Good Lord! OTHER OTO heads have done that? :laugh: I tried giving one a driving lesson, little did I know in my ignorance that he had no idea that turning the steering wheel could control the direction the car went in NOR the difference between the accelerator and the floor thing that makes the car stop {managed to avoid the worst by steering with one hand from passenger seat and get my foot over on to the brake and stop just as the front wheels plooped into the ditch}.

If you cant drive a car ... how can you drive an OTO? Okay, I gotta read this book :laugh: ... when you're finished G ;)

Aeon418

ravenest said:
Okay, I gotta read this book :laugh: ... when you're finished G ;)
Cheap skate! Buy your own! :laugh:

Grigori

Nah it's OK, I'll send a big parcel so when you send it back I can borrow some stuff from you too. I'm gonna have to reread Confessions after this :D

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
Cheap skate! Buy your own! :laugh:

Oh? Actually I have a large collection of books, that I DID buy ... and I am quiet generous at loaning them ... but .... NOT TO YOU! :laugh:

But I could loan you my copy of my OTO 'on bad report' for 'endangering the life of the Frater Superiors Representative' including quotes; ( 'Turn the wheel. TURN THE F....IN' WHEEL! Use the brake ... THE BRAKE!")

- As long as you dont sell it to Koenig ;)