A recent Thoth convertee....

periwinkling

I recently changed to the Thoth, and I'm completely in love! But while I could play around with other decks for a few years, I really see I won't get too far with this without some knowledge of kabbalah and astrology, which I lack very much.
It's funny, when I was in a store 3 years ago, picking my first deck, I bought the RWS, even though I remember thinking the art was primitive and boring. The Thoth was there too, and I found the images to be very mystical and incomprehensible. I remember a woman there, talking about how she finally took the leap and changed to the Thoth, and it had a great impact on her.
I look at the images today, flipping through my whole deck, and I cannot see a single image that is disturbing, inaccessible or dark. They're beautiful, colorful, engaging, rich and above all truthful. For example Cruelty is just that, neither too sweet nor too pessimistic. I look at it now, and can't understand how it could be disturbing. Also, the devil card. It is actually quite pleasant, and that's a very sweet looking devil. Is it the big penis that scares people?
I'll never be a satanist nor do I intent to go that road, but I suddenly realize the pull towards provoking people (like Crowley himself) with what may be called sin - because it cannot possibly be as terrible as the means used by the church to suppress it. (I'm talking about earlier Christianity, I'm aware it is completely different now). Coming from a buddhist background, the idea of reconciling the contradictory parts of myself appears a lot healthier than dividing myself.
Another reason why I could never fear the deck, is when I asked it who it serves it answered Art - it's purpose is exactly this unification of being I mentioned. For me, at least. I know it cannot show me anything that isn't a part of myself already. And I am not afraid of anything I could find.

I also wondered if anyone could help we with picking books to study first? I see there are a lot of different camps that heartily disagree and even dislike each other - what are the points on which the main Crowley authors disagree? I'm considering Duquette, Hughes-Barlow, and Snuffin at the moment.
I'd especially love to read something that explains astrology and/or kabbalah in connection to the Thoth, rather than presupposes knowledge of these things. Which would be the easiest for a Thoth noobie?

Cerulean

Just scroll down in this thread...hopefully that helps

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=180056

My recommendation to the Weiser Concise Guide to Aleister Crowley is in there.

To be honest, I had at one point bought most of the books recommended, but only find the references work depending on what topic I am focusing on. For instance, I was tracing Alchemical / Hermetic symbol references as noted in tarots (Etteilla to Rider Waite to Crowley Thoth) art for a paper on 18th to 20th century and then the Duquette references were great and quick on that point. But I knew what I was looking for and that was before the Weiser Concise Guide was in my hands.

My advice is to enjoy the journey and uncover the layers as you please. If you like ice cream cones and metaphors, I'd say that consuming too many books is like gulping the treat down--ice cream, cone, toppings and all-- and getting brain freeze and one's throat scratched.

I read or looked and have owned used Crowley paperback texts and also the books by L. Duquette, James Wasserman, Richard Kascinsky, D. Snuffin and H. Banhoff...also the usual suspects by Israel Regardie, etc., but if one goes as slowly as I do through the used Thoth texts and only buys one or two tarot reference books a year by haunting the old and used sections... I've let go of some of the introductory mass market titles by Banhoff and Duquette after awhile...they served their purpose when I needed them.

Funny too, my favorite Thoth is the one we used to all try to avoid, the funky old faded ones...

Cerulean

Eeviee

I cannot give you a good recommendation for the astrology, as I have yet to find one. I'm curerently in the process of piecing together all of the info on astrology I have in all of my Pagan/Wiccan/Magick books...
For Kabbala I would heartily recommend Dion Fortune's Mystical Qabalah. I just bought it, and am currently comparing it with all of the information I've read here and in my own personal book collection. I find that it has everything I've already learned in a better format. lol. There are also many recommendations here and elsewhere for Don Milo DuQuette's The Chicken Qabala...

periwinkling

Thank you for your great suggestions!
Annoyingly, Duquette's Understanding and Chicken are "items under review" in the kindle store (my preferred format), so they will have to wait, hope they become available soon. For now, I will occupy myself with Snuffin and perhaps the Dion Fortune book, as well as the Book of Thoth.
From what I understand, the Wasserman guide relates to Crowley's own life, right? I'd like to read it at some point, but is it directly related to the Thoth tarot? If not, I will put it off for now.

Cara

Hi periwinkling,

I highly recommend DuQuette's book...it is a wonderful resource and enjoyable reading. Of course you'll want 'The Book of Thoth' by Crowley and many people like Snuffin's book, but I found it has much of the same information as Crowley's & DuQuette's. Another book I enjoy is 'Keywords for the Crowley Tarot' by Hajo Banzhaf and Brigitte Theler...there are a few spreads in there that I use often and the keywords, card of the day, etc. are great.

Qabalah - Like Eeviee, I also highly recommend Fortune's 'Mystical Qabalah'

Astrology - The only book I have is my old friend 'The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need' by Joanna Martine Woolfolk (bought in 1993) and I feel it's a great astrology book but I'm sure it's not the best book for studying everything you want to for Thoth...so I should look into purchasing a different book on this too.

Thanks for mentioning Hughes-Barlow...I haven't heard much about his book and I'm going to check it out!

Cara

Oh, just one more thing -- I just learned my lesson after purchasing Angeles Arrien's book...you've probably read on this forum to avoid her book and I agree. I failed to research this book before purchasing and now I have to pay postage to send it back...waste of money and time.

periwinkling

Yes, I have the book of Thoth as well. I'm reading it slowly and in bits :)
Oh, what a huge sinkhole this is... I'm finding myself curious about kabalah, astrology, numerology, geomancy... Where does it end?

Siochanai

That is the greatest point it never ends. The thoth is life long. It is my first deck and feel it will be my only. I am starting to scratch the surface and things are starting to click but the more you dig the more questions arise to dig more.

I like DuQuette's understanding the thoth tarot. Eevi pointed me towards it and it is a great first stepping stone the more I read the more beauty in the cards and mystery arises from them. Next on my list is the book of thigh from their who knows.

randomlil

I too bought the Angeles Arrien book (used, so not too much out of pocket) before reading any reviews. I have found one use for it. I'm painting the images as close to the original as I can using watercolour pencil/brush. I usually paint one card a day (16 so far).

Zephyros

I too bought the Angeles Arrien book (used, so not too much out of pocket) before reading any reviews. I have found one use for it. I'm painting the images as close to the original as I can using watercolour pencil/brush. I usually paint one card a day (16 so far).

That's actually a wonderful idea! I'll see if I can find it cheap for that purpose.

In any case, what the others have said is true. It is almost comforting to know that you will never know all there is to know about it unless you devote your entire life to studying it (an impossibility). With this deck, more than any other, it is the journey that counts, and trying to hurry things will lead nowhere. It is my own prime teacher of patience, and a very strict one at that!