Deck Suggestions?

HearthCricket

I have recently returned to reading Tarot, which I have done off and on for the past 28 years! I started with the Rider Waite, but as the deck never spoke to me I moved on to Sacred Rose, which I love. I also have Old English (nice, simplistic), Renassaince, Gendron (get pretty good readings with this, too) and have just picked up Goddess Tarot. I would like to expand my horizons, so will probably get the Osho-Zen, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for particular decks that are good to work with when returning to Tarot which may fall in the intermediate range. Thank you so much!

HearthCricket

kayne

This seems like a great opportunity to plug my all time fav deck The Cosmic Tribe :p

It is not a deck for everyone - most people either love it or hate it. You can see all the cards at the artists website: http://www.stevee.com

jade

i love the voyager deck.....wonderful deck. the cards are like collages of pictures and crystals......this deck speaks to me like no other. i always use it during a reading with clients and for myself too :)
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/voyager/index.html

i also really love the medicine woman deck. it's is soooo feeling and warm and wonderful.
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/medicinewoman/index.html the photos on this link do NOT do these cards justice AT ALL!!!!!

in light,
jade

jmd

You say that you 'would like to expand your horizons'... and as you do not list a Marseilles deck, I strongly recommend one.

The 'latest' version is viewable through the Aeclectic site, and is the Camoin Marseilles.

I'm aware that I often recommend this deck, as it is, in many ways, such a foundational one (as the deck which Wirth, and then Waite and others used as a basis for their decks). In this case, however, I'm recommending it as a deck from which your existing decks can acquire new depths.

Scorpion

Hi, HearthCricket!

The deck I would suggest is the Spiral: it is RW based (I'm no fan of that one either!) but the Majors are sooo complex and beautifully depicted that I use it frequently on that basis alone. If the Minors were of the same quality I doubt I would ever use any other deck (although I'm also a fan of Osho Zen and the Goddess Tarot). Unfortunately, they're not (I think the comment on this site was along the lines of the artwork could have been done by two different people) but they are colourful and full of action and anything you picked up on the RW will stand you in good stead here.

I also have Cosmic Tribe (you'll see a study group has just started up on it) and while I love it I have to agree it's not to everyone's taste. I've got Voyager too, but I haven't got to grips with it yet (literally - it's huge even to my large hands!) but I have recently invested in the fuller version of the book that came with it and am beginning to make more sense of it. I know some people feel this deck is hard work (and can be really draining due to the mass of imagery it contains) but worthwhile.

Good luck in your search!

Jewel

I would like to reiterate the vote for the Cosmic Tribe if it appeals to you after you see the pictures. It is not everyone, and when I got it I was getting mainly just to add to my collection, but when I got the cards out and studied a couple of them I fell in love with the deck!

The Osho-Zen is different but wonderful. I love this deck. To me, it gives a different perspective to the meanings of the cards one is already familiar with. Some say this deck is totally different, to me it is simply a different perspective that when combined with traditional becomes very powerful. The artwork and colors in this deck are beautiful.

As for the Goddess Tarot, I have that one as well but I do not use it. It has no male figures which is hard for me as I like gender balance in the deck. The artwork is beautiful, but in other threads I have read where some people have had some challenges reading with it because it is so different than that Raider Waite type decks.

The World Spirit Tarot is another that has become popular here at the forums, and is a very interesting deck. I believe there is a recent thread about it you can read.

Good luck!

truthsayer

you might want to look at the nigel jackson. it has way of sneaking up on you and banging you between the eyes. i hated it at first but later i went the other extreme. the artwork is clear and beautiful. i also love all of mary hanson roberts decks-the one named after her, the universal waite and if you like fairy tales the whimsicle is nice. while her work is similar to the rws, the colors and drawings are easier on the eyes. many ppl here love the robin wood so i can't believe there isn't the usual shameless plug here for it! :D as far as theme decks go, my favorite is the legend arthurian.

Talisman

Hearthcricket,

The deck you should get is the "Dance of Life."

(Don't ask me; I know nothing about this deck. I recommended it to Solandia just out of curiousity. The only place I've seen it is on Tarot Passages, and that was just one review. Nevertheless, knowing nothing about you and less about the deck, I fearlessly recommend . . .)

the Dance of Life tarot.

Who knows?

Talisman

Ramses

Hey...how are you ?..Hope you?re just fine...

Well, I?ve recently got the Tarot of the Cloisters deck...it?s pretty interesting, seems a lot with the Marseilles deck, and it?s not a difficult deck to interpret...you may check this one out on this site...maybe if you see it, it may help you out ...

Love, peace and harmony to you !!!!!!!!!!!