Deck

Dave

I have become interested in the Osho-Zen Tarot Deck. I Would like to hear some openions on it.
Dave

Kalin

I use this deck for meditation/inner self readings. It's beautiful artistically, and I think very well thought out with regard to tarot correspondences--I get a completely unique perspective on each card while at the same time each is well within the framework of tarot.

Also there are some very good (and again, unique) layouts in the book that accompanies the deck. LOL...must be time for me to self-read with the Osho deck again 'cause I just mentioned a couple of the Osho book layouts in another post I wrote today.

Kalin

faunabay

If you hit on "show topics" and tell it to show from 90 days there are at least 3 threads where people have talked about the Osho Zen deck. It's a favorite among all of us. :) :) :)

glamourbug

*winces* Dare i say its not a favourite with me? I love the artwork and the deck is very attractive but the whole thing gets on my nerves.

Im still trying to work with it though as so many people recommend it but so far it certainly isnt love between us.

Lisa

truthsayer

i have to agree with glamourbug. i pet peeve is the "master" card which is osho also known as bhagwan. he was a real man that died in the '80's i believe. he was born in india and started a spiritual movement that got the attention of the west. he grew quite rich from it. i can't remember exactly what happened but evidently the financial gain went to his head. the communes started in his name busted up as ppl became disillusioned w/ him. evidently padma? is one of his few remaining disciples. she did the deck in honor of him.

even tho the deck is beautiful and has a good divinatory book that goes w/ it, i can't get past the darkness i perceive from him. i might feel differently if i hadn't been around when the corruption scandal w/ his organization was going on. i've tried taking the master card out b/c it's not needed to read the cards but no luck. i do think padma has light w/in and has gleaned the best parts of his spiritual ideas for the cards. for that reason i keep them.

what seems strange to me is that the thoth deck doesn't bother me. i bought it and started reading w/ it many years before i learned the extent of aleister crowley's dark history. if i had known more about him before i bonded w/ the deck i might have felt differently.

Kaz

I say: GET IT !!!
I love this deck, best ever...
See this webby, www.osho.com all cards are there so look for yourself. And yes, I leave Master Osho out of the deck cos I want to have a tarot deck of 78 cards.

Kaz

DeLani

Quote:truthsayer (11 Jan, 2002 03:05):
what seems strange to me is that the thoth deck doesn't bother me. i bought it and started reading w/ it many years before i learned the extent of aleister crowley's dark history. if i had known more about him before i bonded w/ the deck i might have felt differently.

Hi again Truthsayer,
I am also a big fan of the Thoth. I have both the big green one and the smaller one. I only use them for serious spiritual readings.
And, I am no fan of Aleister Crowley. He was an egomaniac, in the very least. But realize this: that deck was illustrated by Lady Frieda Harris. Every image and symbol you love so was drawn by her hand, not Crowley's.
Hope that makes you feel better!
DeLani

truthsayer

actually now that you bring it up, i've been reading a book on the thoth deck by hajo banzhoff. great book! he gives some really interesting details about crowley and lady frieda's relationship. she was happily married and always put crowley in his place if he got to sexually forward w/ her. hajo describes her as one of the very few ppl that crowley didn't hurt during the relationship. evidently, crowley put the copyright in her name but got all the royalties that came during his lifetime. hajo argues that in all fairness the deck should be called the harris deck instead b/c the copyright went to lady freida and her heirs. she must have been a very strong willed lady b/c hajo describes him as a very aggressive lecherous guy that harmed lots of women. there's also the site that explains about the geometry behind the cards that she did. crowley may have collaborated w/ her on it but i really feel more of her spirit in it than his. unfortunately, i can't say as much for the osho zen. maybe one day...