Did I buy the right deck? Advise please

Tigerwings

Hello everyone, I am a newbie and I am after some info on tarot decks.

I have just bought the Rider Waite deck for a friend who wants to learn to read the tarot. Neither of us knows much about tarot and I thought I would just give her the most common or traditional deck, because it would be easier to learn with. However, in the shop I wasn't allowed to look at the actual card as the are sealed in a plastic thing (like shrinkwrap?) so I just trusted the pictures would be ok. However, i have been browsing the different types of decks online, and i am now regretting buying the Rider Waite deck as i know my friend would have much preferred a deck such as the Morgan Greer, the Rider Waite illustrations aren't as beautiful are they?

Oh what did I do? I think I made a mistake! Should i try and return them or exchange them? Did I make a mistake? Will my friend like them? Please help me!!!

jmd

Trust your decision...

and go through the various posts in this forum.

The Rider-Waite isn't the most traditional, but it's still the most popular, and many books illustrate their descriptions with it.

Be aware that there are two common numerations: VIII (8) for Justice, XI (11) for Strength; and its inverse, which the Waite deck uses.

Like most people, you (and your friend) will probably end up owning more than one deck. Just get familar with the various ideas inherent in each card... other decks, and this one, will then speak to you openly.

Major Tom

Quote:jmd (04 Dec, 2001 19:31):
Trust your decision...

and go through the various posts in this forum.

I echo this. }>

The Rider-Waite is a good deck for a beginner - there are many good books and sources that use it as illustrations.

Don't question your choice. Learn from this one before trying others. Doubt tends to hinder. }>

slinky_jo

my first deck was a rider waite deck. i found it really useful to learn on/from, as all the cards have good pictorial references. and yes, like others have said, you will end up getting zillions of decks in your tarot love affair ;)

give yourself and your friend some time to really get to know these cards. get a good reference book (many listed here on the forum) and a pretty notebook and start your journey of discovery! (ok, that sounded corny, but you really will have fun!).

trust yourself in the judgment you have made :)

Jewel

My first deck was also a Rider-Wait :) ... I never really liked the deck, and did give it away once I got my Robin Wood Tarot, but I will say that one great thing about it is that so many books use it to illustrate and to talk about Tarot. In addition many beautiful decks are Raider-Waite clones, meaning the images are pretty much the same, particularly in the minor arcana.

If you guys are just starting out I would highly recommend the book "78 Degrees of Wisdom" by Rachel Pollock. She illustrates her book with this deck, explains all the symbolism and it is one of the best books I have read on Tarot. It was so good I went out and bought a Universal Wait (one of the clones - looks just like it just painted in different colors) to follow the book closer :)

I think you made a great choice for starters! You and your friend are at the beginning of a beautiful journey, and you have plenty of time in the future to acquire new decks :)

Love & Light,

Tigerwings

Thank you all so much for your help. I now feel much happier with my purchase and after sleeping on it (the problem, not the tarot cards!) I have decided that it will be fine, and yes, I suppose once she has learnt and grown used to the Rider Waite deck she can always move onto another deck later. I am now really excited for my friend, and I think she will pick it all up really easily.

Thanks again for the advise! Blessed Be

raeanne

Quote:Tigerwings (05 Dec, 2001 17:22):
after sleeping on it (the problem, not the tarot cards!)

Hi Tigerwings!
I had to giggle about your comment of sleeping on the problem not the Tarot cards because a lot of people DO recommend put your cards under your pillow for a night or two when you are first learning! So, either way there would be people who would agree with you! Welcome to the forums. Laugh and enjoy. :)

sue

my first deck was the rider wait deck, and i hated it. it was the most insulting deck for its meanings for each card. i bought the celtic dragon deck, and i like it better. the pictures are nice too. i hope you get a good book to tranlate it because if you don't none of the meanings are going to make sense.

Liliana

To offer another solution, if you think he might like Hanson Roberts better, why not try to exchange for a Universal Waite? It has the same tradinal images as Rider Waite, but the cloring is much prettier because its done by the person who did the Hanson Roberts deck