Do piercings affect the energy flow of the body?

Marirowana

This is not really a clear question, it's more like an invitation to a philosophical string of thoughts :) I'm talking about piercings now, but it can be read as 'body modifications' in general. I'm very curious about your view on this.

There are many reasons to get a piercing. It is a very old tradition, and in some ancient cultures piercings are being used for spiritual growth and healing. I even heard once pirates pierced their ears because they believed it would improve their eyesight.

Do you think piercings can have an effect on the natural energy flow of the body (or on the chakra's, aura, meridians etc.) and if it does have an effect, would it be an obstruction or an activation of the flow?

I do believe that certain areas on the body are aligned with other places or organs. So assuming that a thin, shallow acupuncture needle placed at a certain point in the body can have a big influence some other place, what does a true puncture with a thick needle do?

My opinion is that the body is very good at restoring the balance. I think energy always finds a way to flow, meandering and rerouting like a river. Or maybe I just believe whatever is comfortable to believe... I have quiet a few piercings, and I don't feel any changes in energy. But the difference can be subtle ofcourse, or too long-term to notice - or maybe I'm just not very well-connected to my energy. And every body is different.

I wonder if different materials like gold, silver, crystals or wood would make a difference. (So, wearing citrin in the belly button?) Is there a way of asking my body if it likes the piercings?

jillkite

I have a lot of respect for Chinese medicine and practitioners strongly advise againse metal peircings, especially in the belly button, as this is a major energy centre.

AJ

interesting query. It is possible people open to body modification are also more open to other avenues of thought.
People here always seem more open to the idea and impact of religions. Is it because being open to tarot? Is that a gateway? Or does being open minded first bring them to tarot?

Marirowana

I have a lot of respect for Chinese medicine and practitioners strongly advise againse metal peircings, especially in the belly button, as this is a major energy centre.

So, they advice against wearing metal specifically? That's interesting, I think different materials have different effects. That also implies that not only the puncture plays a role, but also what you do with it afterwards.

This also makes me wonder, what about wearing metal around this centre of energy in general, like a belt or metal buttons of trousers. :) thank you for your input jillkite.

interesting query. It is possible people open to body modification are also more open to other avenues of thought.
People here always seem more open to the idea and impact of religions. Is it because being open to tarot? Is that a gateway? Or does being open minded first bring them to tarot?

Interesting thought too, the cause-effect dilemma. That made me think of another issue with piercings and the conscious effect on the energy: it actually does change the way you feel placed in the world. People look at you differently (positive or negative), it can make you feel more beautiful, strong, in control of your body. It is proven that people who are into body modification have a higher level of self-esteem (again the cause-effect dilemma, do you get your nose pierced because you have a high self-esteem or does your self-esteem rise because of the piercing?). Either way, it strengthens a certain feeling.
Thanks AJ!

Are body-modifications a show-off of the ego? Or is it possible to do it for personal, intrinsic reasons?

Padma

Not so sure that body modifications are proof of a good self-esteem!

What about the hundreds of people who have plastic surgery, because of cosmetic reasons? Because they think they are not pretty or beautiful enough? That doesn't scream self-confidence to me! Exactly the opposite...

I had my nose pierced as an act of rebellion, not as a sign of self-esteem. I still have the piercing, I have a tiny stud in it, and my ears are pierced (which I had done as a teen, because everyone else was having it done - again, hardly an act of healthy self-esteem!) but I do not have any longing to have anything else pierced.

My self-confidence and self-esteem came with age, not piercings! ;)

I am however interested in the idea that it might affect energy. I remember my mother telling me that in the '40's her cousin, who had migraines, had her ears pierced on a Dr's orders, as he thought it would make the migraines stop. And no, I am not Asian, neither is my family.

Zephyros

I think it depends what tradition you come from. In some Chinese traditions much is made of the balance of elements in the body, depending on one's characteristics and date of birth. For example, some people have a surplus of metal in their personalities so it isn't recommended they add to that by wearing jewelry.

In Jewish tradition all extraneous things must be removed before burial as the body must be free of anything impure before the Day of Resurrection. Even tattoos are removed.

But again, it depends on what you place your beliefs in. I had three piercing on my ears, a pierced eyebrow, a tattoo and a nipple ring and I liked them all immensely. Now I'm older and down to only the tattoo but I don't subscribe to the idea that it can affect my energies anyway.

AJ

that is interesting. Do they skin off the tattoos like a deer is skinned?

seedcake

I think it depends what tradition you come from.

Agree in 100% And of course, we can't forget about personal choices.

I don't like piercings in general. I don't even wear earrings. When I wanted, after few days I got enough and removed them. There's no trace of piercing in my ears. Is it spiritual? Possible 'cause I don't feel ok around specific metals which are pretty "groundy".

I don't have tattoos, my "main" tradition is accepting tattoos (shia islam) and you can see shia wearing them. In my husband's tradition of sunni islam, no ink under the skin. But in my personal opinion - I find tattoos and scarifications very potent. Maybe in the future I'll end up with a tattoo for more spiritual purposes. But the truth is, I find them beautiful anyway.

RiverRunsDeep

Interesting question. I'm a big proponent of the mind/body connection. So, if you believe your energy will be affected by piercings, then it probably will be. Myself, I have a few piercings/tattoos, but have never considered how they might affect the flow of my energy. And since I haven't thought of it, there has been no noticeable difference.

Marirowana

Not so sure that body modifications are proof of a good self-esteem!

What about the hundreds of people who have plastic surgery, because of cosmetic reasons? Because they think they are not pretty or beautiful enough? That doesn't scream self-confidence to me! Exactly the opposite...

I had my nose pierced as an act of rebellion, not as a sign of self-esteem. I still have the piercing, I have a tiny stud in it, and my ears are pierced (which I had done as a teen, because everyone else was having it done - again, hardly an act of healthy self-esteem!) but I do not have any longing to have anything else pierced.

My self-confidence and self-esteem came with age, not piercings! ;)

I am however interested in the idea that it might affect energy. I remember my mother telling me that in the '40's her cousin, who had migraines, had her ears pierced on a Dr's orders, as he thought it would make the migraines stop. And no, I am not Asian, neither is my family.

I sort of forgot that plastic surgery technically counts as body modification as well. I share your opinion that that kind of alterations hardly ever lead to an increased self-esteem, in general.

I'm trying to find the research article I was talking about, but it doesn't want to show up... I remember that it was a study with about 2500 female participants from American universities, and the conclusion was 'Woman with tattoos show a significant higher self esteem'. Ofcourse that's an average, and very local, and it says nothing about what was first: the tattoo or the self-esteem. But I found it interesting and made me think about the effects of this kind of body art on the psyche.

Interesting, did the ear piercings do anything for the migraines? Wether it would work or not, doctors nowadays around here would never show a sign of such a holistic view, unfortunately.