Help with Cosmic Tribe Tarot

Lil-Angel

I have recently gotten the Cosmic Tribe deck and was wondering if there is anyone out there that is real familiar with this deck and willing to help me out with some of the meanings. I have read the book that comes with the deck from cover to cover twice now in the last week but, there are still a few cards I just don't understand.

Thanks,

Lil-Angel

MeeWah

Lil-Angel: Which cards are you referring to?
Though its images roughly relate to the traditional, it does not seem to be very traditional in meanings. As I prefer not to read the book word for word I am not very familiar with the book; however, I have used the deck for daily cards & for readings & like it very much! I would be glad to try to assist. There are others of the forum who are also acquainted with the deck.

lilmystic

Hi there! If you read the post about "No NOt that deck" from divinerguy, there's a link in one of teh messages leading to teh Cosmic Tarot website. The artist has posted some kind of explanation/blurb about each card there. Hope it helps!

Lil-Angel

Can we start with The Disks - 2,4,8 and the court cards

It took me forever to feel like I had a grasp on the Universal Waite court cards (definately the last cards in the deck I came to understand) and these court cards seem to be looked at in a completely different light, besides the fact that they are also named different. If you could give me just some sort of general on the court cards and then maybe a little more detailed on the 2,4,8 of Disks (to start) that would be really great!!

Thanks for offering to help if you can,

Lil-Angel

Quote:MeeWah (07 Jan, 2002 10:42):
Lil-Angel: Which cards are you referring to?
Though its images roughly relate to the traditional, it does not seem to be very traditional in meanings. As I prefer not to read the book word for word I am not very familiar with the book; however, I have used the deck for daily cards & for readings & like it very much! I would be glad to try to assist. There are others of the forum who are also acquainted with the deck.

Lil-Angel

The others are:

Cups - the court cards

Wands - 2,3,6 and the court cards

Swords - 6,9,10 and the court cards

The star
Emergence
Art
Balance

Thanks for any and all help with these cards. When I was learning the Universal Waite I had so many recourses (almost every book out there for Tarot has those cards in it, I also have a really good friend around the corner who has been using that deck forever so she was able to help out a lot too. For this deck all I have is one book and other than this forum I don't know anyone who uses this deck or has even seen it for that matter.

Thank you again so very much for all your help,

Lil-Angel

MeeWah

Assuming you are familiar with the basic meanings of Tarot cards, the Universal Waite is a good representative for basic meanings. Without a knowledge of basic meanings, it can be difficult to proceed with a non-traditional deck & Cosmic Tribe is such a deck.
Keep in mind also that my perceptions comprise a personal view. It is not a definitive nor a complete understanding as it is still evolving.
It takes study, practice & patience to develop a working knowledge of Tarot in general that may lend itself to working with different decks.
Aside from its court cards, changes in the names of some of the Major Arcana & the switching of 8-Strength (Cosmic = 8-Balance/Justice) & 11-Justice (Cosmic = 11-Strength), its deck concept does generally follow a "system" with some Qabalistic influences.
The female court cards seem to have prominent positions in this deck; those positions traditionally credited to the male court cards. In the traditional deck, the order of "authority" is as follows:
King, Queen, Knight, Page.
In Cosmic Tarot they are:
Queen, Knight, Princess, Page.
Court cards represent people, an aspect of the querent, a situation or *all*of those associations. They are usually the most challenging cards to interpret in any deck! It takes a bit of practice to ascertain the possible significances. Rely on the impressions received within *the context of a reading*; note the position the card occupies in a spread; look at surrounding cards.
Traditional King = Cosmic Queen
Traditional Queen = Cosmic Knight
Traditional Knight = Cosmic Princess
Traditional Page = Cosmic Page
Keep in mind that this is flexible! There are no hard nor fast rules & this is just how I approach them.
Based on the above correspondences, the court cards in all the suits represent the usual elemental associations attributed to their respective suits of Wands, Cups, Pentacles (Cosmic = Disks), Swords.
I checked the book that accompanies the deck. The book provides key words to each court card (& the pip cards); express the view of the creator which may aid as inspiration or understanding in their interpretation.
{To be continued}

kayne

Please persist with the Cosmc Tribe Tarot - it is really wonderful!

I have been doing readings with it for nearly three years now and really by reading with it (not just studying the book...) has helped me learn the cards. I use the pictures, colours and 'feeling' I get from the cards more than the writtin meanings which I find a bit too "airy-fairy".

To me it seems a lot of the Cosmic Tribe meanings relate to a personal change (eg. Emergence, 2 disks) and personal journeys.

The disks seem to concentrate more on the 'physical' or 'body' rather than specifically 'money' aspect of life like some other decks.

When I was first studying this deck - particularly with the court cards - I spent a day or so on each one, reading the meaning and then really imagining myself in that 'characters' situation and relating them to people I know well and situations where I have been that character. When doing readings with them I pretty much always view the court cards as aspects of the Querant.

Another thing - nudity is how people show their true selves in this deck. The Moon is in a gown because she is 'hiding' something.

Fire represents passion (not negative...); green snakes represent living life to the full; eyes indicate the point of view the reader should imagine themselves in the card (eg. the eyes on the hands of The Hanged Man)

I just bought (so have not really studied much yet...) Crowley's Thoth Tarot and on first impression it really reminds me of the Cosmic Tribe Tarot, perhaps this was more of an influence in it's creation than the Rider Waite? Just a thought.

All this are just my impressions on this deck. Enjoy :)
K.

Lil-Angel

Thanks for all the posts.

I am familiar with the court cards in the rider waite/universal waite deck. I see these court cards lining up like this though:

Universal Waite Cosmic Tribe
King Knight
Queen Queen
Knight King
Page Prince

From everything that I have learned about how what ever feels right go with it, I am going to assume that it isn't wrong for me to view them this way. But do I then apply the basic meaning from the Universal waite to the appropriate cards or is there more to it than that. I have never worked with any deck really other than rider/universal waites so this is a totally new experience for me but, I just love this deck and these cards and am so ready to try and get this!!

Lil-Angel