Llewelyn&#39s Pythagorean Tarot.

Kiama

I was in a huge bookshop the other day, and this shop had possibly THE biggest Mind/Body/Spirit section I have ever seen, with a masive shelf full of Tarot decks. It included a deck I have been wondering wheher was publised yt... The Pythagorean Tarot. I hadmy question answered. So, there I was staring in amazement at this deck wich was the most expensive deck I've seen ever, and I suddenly realised...

I had no money! AGH! (My worst nightmare) Anyway, so I'm gonna order it from my local bookshop. (The one I found it in is aout 200 miles away!)

Has anyone got this deck? What do oyou think? Is it worth me spending 37 pounds sterling?

Kiama

deso

I don't have the deck - but I'm with you on wanting it, but not sure about the price. So I've been waiting around to see if someone else has gotten their hands on it and what they think. I've always been intrigued by Pythagoras ..... so I think the deck would make a great addition to my collection (not to mention - brain).

deso

Oh, Kiama, I forgot to mention a website that goes quite extensively into this deck:
www.cs.utk.edu/~mclennan/BA/PT/PT.html
Enjoy! :)

Jane

Hi,

I got this a couple weeks ago.

I like the majors, but it has a very different ordering system, which can be found here.

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mclennan/BA/PT/PT.html

I found the minors a bit dull. They are not pictorial, which is not a problem for me, but the art is very uninspired in my opinion.

There is a huge book that comes with it. It has over 400 pages. I haven't had time to read any of it yet. It does look interesting.

I don't think this deck is for everyone, and it looks like most of the information in the book is on the website.

I'm kind of luke warm on this deck. I was hoping I'd like it more, because I've found the website interesting. I do like having the book available, instead of reading on line.

If I were you I'd take a good look at the website and see if the philosphy interests you enough to spend the money.

Hope this helps,
Jane

Melvis

Okay, this is verrrry freaky! I just ordered this deck from Amazon last night! I'd never seen it before when it suddenly came up on my recommendations list from Amazon. It seemed to have a lot of symbolism in it, even on the "pip" cards in the minors.

Lately I've been working on recognizing symbols in my various decks, so I thought this would be a good one to have. I have a feeling it may be difficult to get into, however. But hey, I'm a good reader...bring on that 400 page book! ;)

Peace,

Melvis

Ba

Quote:deso (09 Dec, 2001 02:07):
I don't have the deck - but I'm with you on wanting it, but not sure about the price. So I've been waiting around to see if someone else has gotten their hands on it and what they think. I've always been intrigued by Pythagoras ..... so I think the deck would make a great addition to my collection (not to mention - brain).I also have plans to buy the deck. Let's see if the Amazons in UK or US have it. There are so many attractive decks, but the book interests me. I have read some other texts by John Opsopaus, and it seems to me he is a very conscientious interpreter of ancient Greek religion and philosophy (these two were pretty close in those days).
I am not a heavy smoker, but I do smoke at rare occasions.

deso

Hey Ba!
Hello and Welcome!!! This is a great forum!!!

faunabay

My local metaph. shop just recently got this deck in. I was really excited, but when I looked through the deck it did nothing for me. The cards just seemed kind of flat to me.
Just my opinion here, but I'm passing on this one.

Talisman

Gosh, Kiama, I dunno about this one.

"37 pounds sterling" sounds like it might be a lot in "real" money. ("Real," as in, when one finds oneself in a foreign country where no one seems to speak your language, talk very s-l-o-w-l-y and very LOUDLY, and if that doesn't work, talk LOUDER still . . .)

(Once in a foreign port I was instructed to initiate shipmates into the "English" monetary system. I'm a great explainer, and if I don't know what I'm talking about, even better, 'cause there's nothing to hamper my creativity. So I explained pounds and crowns, florins and shillings, guineas and pence and farthings etc. Then, we caught a taxicab from Littleton into Christchurch (this being in New Zealand) and upon arrival, the driver said, " 'at'll be 'alf a bob, mates." Worked out great. He took us to a place called Bonner's Pub and then . . . Well . . .)

A 400 page book explaining a new system sound intriguing and compelling, but the scans of the cards I've seen seem sort'a flat. I'm thinkin' of the minors, but then I'm a fan of illustrated minors.

Nevertheless, being Kiama, sooner or later you're gonna talk yourself into getting this deck. We'll all expect a FULL report!

But, translated into "real" money, 37 pounds sterling still sounds like a bunch.

Talisman
"We've reached the point where the first duty of intelligent men is to restate the obvious." -- George Orwell

Kiama

Quote:Talisman (10 Dec, 2001 09:20):
Nevertheless, being Kiama, sooner or later you're gonna talk yourself into getting this deck. We'll all expect a FULL report!

But, translated into "real" money, 37 pounds sterling still sounds like a bunch.

Talisman
"We've reached the point where the first duty of intelligent men is to restate the obvious." -- George Orwell

Hee hee... You tickle me! :* :* :*

Well, 37 pounds sterling is a whole week's wage packet for me (Hey, I'm only part time!) so it is ALOT to spend on one deck...

However, I have made up my mind that this deck is goin on my Want-List. I love Pythagorean philosophy (Hate the Theorem!) so this deck will be an intriguing and interesting one for my ever-growing collection.

Thanks for all the input!

Kiama