My First Deck

RainbowFire

I like the Sacred Circle Deck, The Spiral Deck, Shapeshifter Tarot and Merryday. any other suggestions? everyone says Robin Wood or Raider White is the best first deck, but what's the real difference? What makes them easier?

destinyawaitsme

Well, The Rider Waite deck is a popular deck that is widely used when people are teaching others to use tarot. many books that you will buy will show pictures of the cards that are in this deck. (http://www.learntarot.com is an example) Also many decks are based on the Rider Waite deck and use similar imagery an meanings on cards. As a matter of fact, I have never even owned a Rider Waite deck. My first deck was the Shapeshifter. And from experience this is not one of those decks that you should learn on. It has extra cards and the names of the cards are different than the Rider Waite. Also, a lot of the imagery is hard to determine unless you had some Shamanistic background. After a while, I bought the Zerner-Farber deck...which sticks to the format of Rider-Waite and I was more comfortable with it. A lot of people that read tarot will tell you that the Shapeshifter deck is more of a collector's deck than one you would find useful in a reading. As far as the others you mentioned I don't have a lot of experience with them and so I can't give you much of an opinion. But go with your gut. Find a deck you like. No deck will come to you at first. Take it step by step...and if you have trouble...there's someone here who probably could help. Good Luck!

Scorpion

Hi, Rainbowfire!

As you've probably seen from other recent posts, Rider Waite and the clones do have a lot of fans, but I'm not one of them. I do agree with Destinyawaitsme in that it does seem to be the deck which has the largest amount of backup material.

I, too, have Shapeshifter and would agree that it could be a very difficult first deck. I also have Spiral and use it quite a bit. I find it similar enough to RW to use the books written for that deck. I do also have the book written by the artist of the Spiral which gives in-depth background for the Major Arcana, which I find extremely useful: for instance, when the Hanged Man came up recently, it popped into my head (which is how I get my best results) that it was based on Dionysus (the Greek god of wine) and so joked with the client that she must have turned to alcohol at one point - and she confirmed it. Not exactly a traditional reading, I believe! The detail on the Minor Arcana are more sketchy (and as it says in the review on this site, the artwork could be by two different people) but most of them bear a marked resemblance to the RW deck. However, I go with what the picture indicate to me, rather than what the books say.

My all-time favourite deck is the Osho Zen. It has keywords printed on every card (a handy pointer if you're just beginning and having difficulty in remembering all the meanings) and the artwork is very clear - although certainly not traditional. It has coloured and numbered diamonds for suits (grey is the equivalent of swords, blue = cups, red = wands and the rainbow suit is pentacles, which could take some getting used to). I find it really does "talk" to me, but I know there will be many experienced people out there who would be very wary of recommending it as a first deck.

I don't have any experience of the other decks you're looking at, but I'm sure there are many others who will help you out there.

All the best in your search.

truthsayer

Quote:RainbowFire (13 Jan, 2002 06:59):
I like the Sacred Circle Deck, The Spiral Deck, Shapeshifter Tarot and Merryday. any other suggestions? everyone says Robin Wood or Raider White is the best first deck, but what's the real difference? What makes them easier?

there are the classical tarot decks that have been around a very long time(maybe a few hundred years like the marseilles. A.E. Waite with pamela coleman smith created the rider waite smith deck around the turn of the century. they were part of an occult movement that called themselves the "Golden Dawn". from what i understand waite was like a walking encyclopedia of symbolism. until he came alone and added pictures and symbols to the minor cards, pictures were only on the major arcana. since it's the first published deck using an elaborate symbol system and had more imagery than earlier decks, the rws was popular and many artists/authors have used the rws to guide them in doing their own published deck. the rws isn't really a traditional deck b/c it has so much illustration. the illustrations make it easier to read to many. for the almost a century the rws seems to have become a standard in tarot decks and books. that's why the rws is usually encouraged to be the first deck. it kind of like we all speak different languages but we all can use the waite to translate and use in other languages. the imagery is more negative than modern decks but you also have to keep in mind the era that it was created.

of the decks you are interested in i'd say the spiral would be the best for a beginner. i think the shapeshifter, merryday, and sacred circle may be more than a beginner could handle. the SS has 4 extra cards. learning 78 is hard enough. merryday has a lot of switches that you won't find in what i call standard texts on. the little white book doesn't make it easier. for ex., the aces are called elememtals o believe and each represents a diffent spirit.

the sacred circle is a nice deck but it really helps to be well versed in celtic myths and legends. i know some but not enough to fo readings.

Jewel

Quote:RainbowFire (13 Jan, 2002 06:59):

Hello RainbowFire! Getting your first deck is an exciting experience. The suggestions that have been provided to you are really good, I own all of the decks you mentioned and totally agree with what has been posted here about them. If there is a deck you are really drawn to, then I would suggest you buy that deck (even if it is not for a beginner), then once you look through it see how the deck is configured:

1) Structure of Major Arcana (position of strength and justice)
2) Elemental correpondences (swords/wands air/fire or fire/air)

Once you have looked at these things then you might consider buying either the Raider Waite, or the Marseille deck (depending on the structure of your deck) so that you have a traditional (Raider Waite) or Classical (Marseille) deck. The reason I recommend this is because the more traditional or classical decks have more literature written about them that you can use in your study. You can pull out your "teaching" deck and your favorite deck together as you study so that you can make associations or correspondences between them.

Again the Shape Shifter and the Osho-Zen (which someone mentioned) are non-traditional decks thus you might want to consider starting with something else like the Spiral. I am not sure what your interests are in order to provide you additional deck suggestions. I would also highly recommend that you purchase a work-book titled "Tarot for Yourself" by Mary Greer. This will be a great resource for you getting to understand Tarot and your chosen deck. Good Luck!

Love & Light,

Pollux

I believe the Spiral is a very popular one for beginners too.
A friend of mine started with it too, so I had the opportunity to examine it... and find out I liked it very much!
In addition, a Merseille deck could do, even though Minors are diffficult. I learnt Major on Marsielle, and never regret that!

How about an Acquarian? Palladini artwork rocks! ;p

Jewel

Quote:pollux (17 Jan, 2002 23:42):
How about an Acquarian? Palladini artwork rocks! ;p

I have the New Palladini and it is gorgeous. You might want to check out both the Aquarian and New Palladini to see if you like them at all ...

Pollux

Yes, Do try the PALLADINI DECKS!!!!
I'm for them, and they are just one step from Rider-Waite and a couple or so ( ;P ) from the advanced.

You also get a pictorial variant, so don't feel the need of R-W likeness - I DO!!!!