Purpose of Tarot

Barleywine

For what purpose do you use tarot cards?

If I were a really pretentious mystic poet, I might say: "To probe the interstices in the fabric of the Universe."

My poetry is bad in an entirely different direction, so I'll just say:

To gain insight and wisdom that elude conventional reasoning and transcend the prosaic view of reality. These yields might be put to different uses (prediction, empowerment, etc.) but the goal is the same: to get "under the skin" of appearances and overt behavior in a way that sidesteps conscious preconceptions and biases, granting a unique, impartial perspective on the matter at hand.

Oh, and it's fun as well as (often) metaphysically profound.

Lucas Prince of Cats

Also, besides warnings of the future, and advice, who else likes to cary a round a tarot deck as a conversation starter?

Sar

But do Tarot really need a purpose? Isn't enough that it is here?

Hybridartifacts

Purpose of Tarot - how I use them

Aside from collecting decks because I love the art and that there can be so many really creative variations of it, and being interested in Tarot history, I actually use them to play games. Which is almost certainly what they were originally used for (and in some countries are still used for).

Not an ordinary card game though - I use them to play this:
http://www.fortuneswheel.co.uk
Free step-by-step play guide on the site
also a link to the kickstarter.
Its a tabletop roleplaying game (rpg) a bit like Dungeons and Dragons without all the dice and wargaming/miniatures aspect.

It can be used as a creative writing tool as well which is another aspect I enjoy.

Debra

The purpose is understanding and managing time.

MissChiff

Let's not forget plain ol' entertainment.....

EyeAmEye

My own mind goes overboard with self-reflection, so tarot for me is strictly for divination.