Starting magic....

sedgeez

Any advice for a beginner? Sites to find the relevant info and spells?

I used to dabble in magic when I was younger but that was a long time ago.

I'd really like to get back into it but have no idea where to start.

Many thanks in advance

x

Zephyros

Depends on what kind you want to practice. Michael Kraig has "Modern Magick" concentrating on Ceremonial magic, especially Golden Dawn based; and "Modern Sex Magick" which is very, very good.

Sulis

Well tonight's a good night to start with the Super Moon :).

I tend to make things up as I go along and always have but I'd say that I'm more of a folk-magic type of person rather than someone who has really studied esoteric stuff (that stuff tends to turn me off).
Turns out my Great Grandmother was a village wise-woman, midwife and layer out of the dead - I didn't know until many years after her death but it explains a lot about me and some of the women in my family ;).

I'd advise you to get hold of a good list of correspondences so that you can construct your own spells etc or even better, to begin to devise your own list of correspondences - herbs, days of the week, colours, phases of the moon etc...
Once you really start to make links between things, I think you're really on your way.

One of my favourite books has always been 'The Spiral Dance' by StarHawk... It's always been a little bit too 'Goddessy' for me but it does have lots of good, basic meditations, visualisation exercises etc and it does have a very good correspondence section as well as information about making poppets, herbal sachets, colour symbolism etc.
She knows what she's talking about and explains things in a very simple way (I think so anyway ;)).

Most importantly - get out there and feel the Earth beneath your feet, sit under trees and talk to the moon..
Have fun :).

sedgeez

Thanks everyone :)

I'd love to construct my own spells sulis but the thought seems so daunting to me. I wouldn't know where to start! :)

I'm really keen to learn about candle magic too but have no idea where to start with that either, when I google it the sites that come up aren't that relevant lol

:)

Apollonia

Thanks everyone :)

I'd love to construct my own spells sulis but the thought seems so daunting to me. I wouldn't know where to start! :)

I'm really keen to learn about candle magic too but have no idea where to start with that either, when I google it the sites that come up aren't that relevant lol

:)
If you are at all interested in traditional hoodoo/rootwork (or what I've heard some practitioners call natural magic), I heartily second DownwardSpiral's recommendation of Lucky Mojo. Here's a link to their info on candle magic: http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html

Richard

I like Good Magic by Marina Medici.

prudence

If you are at all interested in traditional hoodoo/rootwork (or what I've heard some practitioners call natural magic), I heartily second DownwardSpiral's recommendation of Lucky Mojo. Here's a link to their info on candle magic: http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html

Well, that makes 3 of us! I very much recommend Lucky Mojo as a good source of info on hoodoo. I started out practicing Goddess-y type of witchcraft and after years of that I stumbled upon Lucky Mojo, it was just a perfect fit for me. Taking Miss Catherine's class really delighted me, if you have the means to do so I say go for it.

danieljuk

taking the suggestions for me as well, just getting into that area!