The year of the Thelemic tarot?

Grigori

I've been pondering about Thelemic tarots recently. For a long time the Thoth was the only contender, despite the many RWS clones exploding all over the place, Thelemic tarot didn't seem to get a lot of innovation. Most of the decks described as "Thoth based" are really GD based, with some artistic inspiration from the Thoth like the Magickal, the Vision Quest etc..

More recently there have been some decks that I think could really be described as Thelemic in intent as well as inspired by the Thoth design. Via is probably the first in 2002, Ceremonial Magic which was recently reprinted another example. This year the Rosetta Tarot has been released already, and the Mary El is due out in the coming weeks. Both with a serious focus on the Thelemic aspect, and useful companion books.

Are there any more coming anyone has heard of? Do you think this is the start of a Thoth-y resurgence in the face of some boredom with yet another RWS clone?

Zephyros

There was a thread once about the "dumbing down" and, excuse the expression, prostitution of the Thoth like has been done with the RWS. While I could see that happening, I think that because of the very nature of the deck, it makes it much harder to do so. The "problem" with the Thoth is that, in a way, it is too complete for it to be copied or cloned, and whenever I see one, I can't help but think that it pales in comparison.

On the other hand, the Via deck looks really nice, and looks like it was made with respect and reverence toward the original. The Rosetta looks magnificent, but I have doubts as to the mixed media used; I prefer better coherency, but I haven't seen it yet in person, so I can't judge. The Mary-El Tarot looks nice, and I would maybe use it, but not as a Thelema or Thoth based, but just as a nice deck. But, again, I haven't seen it, really, just the scans, so I don't know. The Ceremonial Magic isn't my cup of tea, but I could see it as a study deck.

When it comes to the Thoth, I must admit myself to be something of a purist, if only because I am in the middle of studying it, which may be a lifetime endeavor, so I don't feel I can branch out to clones just yet, if I ever will be. So maybe I'm not the best person to comment :) On the other hand, the best Thoth clone I've seen is a deck that may never be released, which I would buy in a heartbeat, whatever the price. It is the Amun-Ra, a deck that for me, is the ultimate Tarot Holy Grail, but to no avail :(

Grigori

There was a thread once about the "dumbing down" and, excuse the expression, prostitution of the Thoth like has been done with the RWS. While I could see that happening, I think that because of the very nature of the deck, it makes it much harder to do so. The "problem" with the Thoth is that, in a way, it is too complete for it to be copied or cloned, and whenever I see one, I can't help but think that it pales in comparison.

I think so also, dumbing it down tends to change it so much, it's not really Thothy anymore. I think the Vision Quest for example is a very nice tarot, attractive, readable, nice to use. And though it's based on the Thoth structure, it's not really Thothy anymore, at least not at all Thelemic.

On the other hand, the Via deck looks really nice, and looks like it was made with respect and reverence toward the original.

Yes, Via is very much a Crowley type deck. Imaes from Enochian visions (Crowley style ritual) with insets that are from Crowley's descriptions of the cards (pre-Thoth).

The Rosetta looks magnificent, but I have doubts as to the mixed media used; I prefer better coherency, but I haven't seen it yet in person, so I can't judge.

I thought so also, but in person it's not distracting. The Swords stand out more than the others suits as different due to the lines being quite different, but I don't find it disharmonius at all, and quite interesting idea.

The Mary-El Tarot looks nice, and I would maybe use it, but not as a Thelema or Thoth based, but just as a nice deck. But, again, I haven't seen it, really, just the scans, so I don't know.

Yeah, I was reading more about the deck and listened to a podcast yesterday. The artist's first deck was a Thoth and a main deck, so its quite Thoth influenced, but not really a Thothy deck in the same way as other decks really influenced by the tradition.

The Ceremonial Magic isn't my cup of tea, but I could see it as a study deck.

The same for me.

On the other hand, the best Thoth clone I've seen is a deck that may never be released, which I would buy in a heartbeat, whatever the price. It is the Amun-Ra, a deck that for me, is the ultimate Tarot Holy Grail, but to no avail :(

It is a crime that this isn't even planned for publication.

I forgot another amazing deck that is very thelemically influenced and that will be available (some day I hope!). The Sarah Magdalene. It is stunning. I have a large print of the LUST card in my bedroom :D http://sarahmagdalene.com/ I've really excited about this one.

Zephyros

I like the artwork, but honestly, the faces put me off. There are so many fabulous artists who just don't get faces right, and that puts me off a deck, it's a pet peeve I have.

Other than that, it does look like a wonderful deck. What does the Fate card replace?

Zezina

Other than that, it does look like a wonderful deck. What does the Fate card replace?

Yes, there are some great aspects of this deck. But the mouth on the face on the Sun bothers me, and yes, sufficiently to stop me buying the deck.

Presumably Fate replaces the Wheel of Fortune, given it is No 10.

*Z*

RLG

On the other hand, the best Thoth clone I've seen is a deck that may never be released, which I would buy in a heartbeat, whatever the price. It is the Amun-Ra, a deck that for me, is the ultimate Tarot Holy Grail, but to no avail :(

Dwtw

Truly, the Amun Ra would be one of the greatest tarot decks ever, if it were printed as cards. In the meantime, it is still an incredible tarot, just not a deck.

The Sarah Magdalene is also a beauty in its own way, but I agree about the faces; so few artists can do faces properly, especially on tarot; it's ruined many a deck for me that was otherwise interesting. One of the best is the Cosmic Tarot by Norbert Losche; whether you like his deck or not, the man can draw some faces.

Litlluw
RLG

salamandrina

thanks