Crowley a Satanist? Is this True?

poopsie

I need information here ... I read in one of the forums that Crowley was a satanist? Is this true? Anyone who can shed light?

I'm using the Liber T which is Thoth based and I have always appreciated Crowley for it... I don't know if my views will change or should I mix up the creation with the creator ... but some history will truly help.

Thanks in advance.

Craxiette

Short answer: No.

(Not so) long answer: Read (any of) his work and make up your own mind about it!

Grigori

That depends a great deal on what you think a Satanist is. And worthwhile to look into what Crowley thought a Satanist was also.

This interview with Lon Duquette who is the 2IC of one of Crowley's magical orders has some specific discussion that may be of interest.
http://www.ashejournal.com/five/duquette.shtml

Crowley was certainly anti-Christian, and a vocal opponent of the prejudice, bigotry and simple idiocy of the fundamentalist faith of his family of origin. I don't see any connection between the popular Christian idea of what it means to be a Satanist and his work though.

Of course since you're already dabbling in occult paraphernalia like tarot and psychics, you're quite Satanic yourself already ;) I remember a long time ago when a friend of mine learnt about my increasing interest in new age things and gifted me a little carved wooden trinket box with a pentacle on the top. I shut that scary satanic little box up in a drawer untouched for almost a year! Stupid now when I think about it, but amusing to look back on. :)

Aeon418

The Magick of Aleister Crowley by Lon Milo DuQuette (p.2-3)
Was Aleister Crowley a Satanist or devil worshiper?

No. Although he can be misquoted (and quoted out of context) to suggest otherwise, Crowley most certainly was not a Satanist or a devil worshiper. There is no question that he seemed to enjoy his sinister reputation. It is also true that he loved to shock the shockable and was happy to allow anyone who was ignorant and superstitious enough to believe in a bogeyman devil to be afraid of him also. But in order to be a Satanist (by the most common definition during Crowley's lifetime) one must acknowledge the reality of the Judeo-Christian-Muslim spiritual worldview - a worldview that embraces the concept of a devil who is the all-evil opposite to a god who is all good. As Crowley repudiated Judeo-Christian-Muslim doctrines (including belief in the existence of their "devil") there are no grounds whatsoever to charge that he was a Satanist.

"The devil does not exist. It is a false name invented by the Black Brothers to imply a Unity in their ignorant muddle of dispersions. A devil who had unity would be a god."

It is true that there is much in the imagery of Crowley's writings that is dark and at first glance very terrifying. But if we view these works objectively, we find nothing in them more frightening than the imagery we find in the Bible or any number of other religious literature, Eastern or Western.

Crowley especially despised the hypocrisy and the spiritually restrictive aspects of established religions, especially Christianity, and did not deny charges that his philosophy was anti-Christian. However, a careful examination of his writings reveals his profound understanding and respect for the pure spiritual impulse that is at the heart of all religions including Christianity. His allusions in his writings to Satan, Lucifer, the devil, and so forth are pertinent only within the self-referential documents of Thelema. They can only be understood and evaluated within those contexts and should only be disturbing or offensive to those individuals who for whatever reason are unwilling or unable to do a little honest homework.

poopsie

Thanks a lot Grigori and Craxiette ... actually that is why I needed to ask ... I never saw Crowley that way and I have always found his writings quite scholarly ...

at least, I can now have a potentially healthy debate with anyone who says this ...

Craxiette

poopsie said:
at least, I can now have a potentially healthy debate with anyone who says this ...

I'm not so sure that anyone who makes that claim is interested in having a "healthy debate" though...many people just believe what they want to believe...and there are always exceptions ;)

Good luck, Poopsie! :)

Craxiette

...btw there ARE some decent satanists out there as well IMO, who I think have respectable views and practices (no, I'm not one of them), but that's another story!

I just think it's worth while to remember that there are jerks and jewels in all the flavours of the rainbow, nothing is ever conveniantly black and white...thank god!

firecatpickles

I think many people base their false beliefs of Aleister Crowley on the Ozzy Osbourne song more so than on Lon Milo DuQuette's, or any other scholarly, writing, unfortunately; probably because it's easier to listen to a song than to read a book. (Yes, I am being cynical.)

Craxiette

Fire Cat said:
I think many people base their false beliefs of Aleister Crowley on the Ozzy Osbourne song more so than on Lon Milo DuQuette's, or any other scholarly, writing, unfortunately; probably because it's easier to listen to a song than to read a book. (Yes, I am being cynical.)

So true! But from the little of Crowley's philosophy that I know about, I see a core concept of him encouraging people to do independent research and thorough work according to one's own deepest spiritual passion. Getting over satanic hang-ups and not being discouraged by false slander is perhaps a kind of "initiation" in itself? I read from many comments on this forum about people avoiding the Thoth for long periods of time until they were emotionally "ready" for it. In this era of information where almost everything is available at a mouse-click away, this is perhaps the new concept of "occultism" -things we hide from ourselves, that get revealed not when our superiors think we are ready for it, but when we ourselves mature into seeing it for what it is. Just a thought...

Aeon418

Craxiette said:
...btw there ARE some decent satanists out there as well IMO, who I think have respectable views and practices (no, I'm not one of them), but that's another story!
And a story quite possibly rife with confusion and misunderstanding. The Satanism of a devout Christian is not the Satanism of Anton Levay for example. Definition of terms is important.

All too often Satanism is a catch-all term for a veritable hotch-potch of contradictory ideas, stories, and superstitions. And yet debates and arguments about a persons alledged Satanism are more often than not based on the faulty assumption that we are all in agreement on the meaning of the word.