Thoth deck handbook

rebecca-smiles

I use this deck a little and love it, but wonder if I would use it more and better if I had the handbook because it is quite different isn't it?

Anybody got the book? if so, does it help a lot, or should I not bother?

rwcarter

Are you talking about the Book of Thoth, the LWB that comes with the deck or some other book?

rebecca-smiles

Yeah thats it; the book of thoth?

whatcha think of it? is it really useful?

Richard

Yeah thats it; the book of thoth?

whatcha think of it? is it really useful?
That depends on what you consider to be useful. Only Appendix A (about 10 pages) is explicitly devoted to divination. It describes a rather involved reading method and gives some divinatory keywords for the Major Arcana. The main part of the book is more concerned with the mystical/occult/esoteric significance of the cards. Since that coincides with my own interest in Tarot, it is very useful for me, although I do not necessarily use it in connection with the Thoth deck, my deck of choice being the Rider-Waite. Here are my top four Tarot reference books, in no particular order:

Aleister Crowley: The Book of Thoth
A. E. Waite: The Pictorial Key to the Tarot
Robert Wang: Qabalistic Tarot
Golden Dawn: Book T

Personally, I don't think The Book of Thoth is quite what you're looking for, but I could be wrong.

Barleywine

Hajo Banzhaf has a couple of Thoth books that might be of interest, "The Crowley Tarot, The Handbook of the Cards," and "Keywords for the Crowley Tarot." Or you can assemble a reference binder from several on-line sources like I did; for example, Liber T is out there.

rebecca-smiles

Hmm... I did wonder if it would help my readings but it does look, and from what you guys say, sound quite involved. I may borrow it at some time to take a good look but not buy it (for now)

Thanks for you help!

Richard

In addition to the Banzhaf books there is also Tarot: Mirror of the Soul: Handbook for the Aleister Crowley Tarot by Gerd Ziegler, which is a divinatory approach. You can probably find The Book of Thoth online for free.

Aeon418

I see it's now on version 4.
I couldn't see any difference at first, but now I do. Nice!
Jim Eshelman said:
In this Fourth Edition, I have added a versicle near the top of each Trump page. These poetic passages, rich in visual and emotional imagery, are from a devotional work titled Liber Amoris vel Calicis that was a fruit of parabhakti practices in 1997. These verses express the intimacy between the adept and the Holy Guardian Angel in terms of each letter of the Hebrew alphabet. They may be of assistance in understanding the deeper implications of each card in terms of its letter symbolism and placement on the Tree of Life.

SunChariot

I use this deck a little and love it, but wonder if I would use it more and better if I had the handbook because it is quite different isn't it?

Anybody got the book? if so, does it help a lot, or should I not bother?

I got my deck on E-Bay and it came with two full size books on the deck. I made the mistake (for me at least) of trying to read and study the book meanings. I thought I had to as it was such a famous deck. The result was that I could not read at all witht the deck. It was talking total nonsense. Each and every time. I put it away and did not use it again.

...until one day years later I felt called on to pull it out and try, By that time of course I had compltely forgotten whatever I had read in those books and I just read with it the way I read with all my declks. Mainly intuitively. Then it was singing up a storm.

So my experience was that the deck only works for me when I DON'T try try to learn it or make it complicated and just read with it as I do any deck. Otherwise it will not work at all for me.

That is how things always work for me though. I have tried to "learn" 2 decks in my lifei and the same thing happened each time. I can only read well somehow is a speciific way.

Babs