whole new idea for a deck (i think)

Mateo06

I just came up with this idea. I love my little poker deck, and i was thinking i woudl like to make my own deck kindalike it, but i can't draw worth crap and it would take me years and years to learn how to draw, but... i am good wiht poetry, and to mix the two which i have been wanting to do for some time would be great.So instead of makeing a picture on a card u could have like a small poem or quote, with a beautiful border and background and u would have th emakings of a great deck, or am i just totally insane and this is a bad idea?

faunabay

Well Mateo06, there's already an Epicurian Tarot that has receipes on each card! I don't see why you couldn't make a Poetry Tarot???? Sounds like it would at the very least be the perfect deck for you - and that's what's important anyway - finding a deck that works for you. I think it's a great idea! I say go for it. :p

.dc

mate06,

darnit... and i thought i was the only one who came up with a neet idea for a written-spoken tarot deck.

i'm in the same boat, for the most part, i want so badly to design my own deck... but drawing it is impossilbe and assembling one via the computer is too big of a chore (two cards took me a few months) and there''s a lot of imagery techniques i don't know how to do yet.

and as a writer, i'm always wanting to do words over drawings anydays.

anyhoo, your deck project sounds good, i'd go for it and give it a shot. maybe first write 78 poems on 3by5 index cards first and do some test readings with them to see how well the poems "speak" the meanings of the cards and then move forward to finding suitable backgrounds etc.

good luck!
.dc

Mateo06

I don't think i will try to take on the project any time soon. so u can take it if u want. I guess it would be cool to have the pip cards actually be pipish. and the Major arcana can actually have pictures, u know like the moon and the sun could be like the background. or in the background while the words are written over it.
dc, maybe we could take the project on ourselves. U seem to knwo something about computer imagery, u could make some of the backgrounds and such. and help me write up the cards, maybe someday the deck could be published

truthsayer

the way you describe your idea, i don't think you'll have to know how to draw to create an interesting deck. some companies make decorated papers for scrapbooks and others crafts. buy paper in a variety of colors,write your poem, cut and paste onto an index card size good for you, and viola! tarot deck w/o having to draw! another way is just save and cut out pix from magazines and catalogues to create tarot collages. i think you have great ideas. please don't sell yourself short. who cares if it takes the rest of your life to complete? how does that poem go? "a thing of beauty is a joy forever". while you design your deck, you'll be learning about the cards. just do it b/c you want to. putting pressure on yourself by thinking you have to do one good enough to publish is way too stressful. doing the aeclectic project has helped me decide to design my own deck and collaborating book--not for publication but simply b/c i find joy in the process. if i set myself up to believe my deck had to be good enough to pusblish i'd feel way too intimidated to try!

not everyone who has ever published a deck knows how to draw or create imagery w/ a computer. take a look at rachel pollack's(author of 78 degrees of wisdom) "shining tribe" deck. her primative art leaves much to be desired yet the accompanying book is so good that i can overlook the art and admire her attempts to create pictures to express her words. not everyone has her writing talent or tarot insight. it's a meaningful deck b/c she instilled the deck with meaning thru the skills she does have. why not you, too? who knows what you have to offer until you give it a whirl. don't sell yourself short. :)

.dc

>>I don't think i will try to take on the project any time soon. so u can take it if u want.

thanks, however i think i'm in the same boat at this point. no time, very little energy. =)

>>dc, maybe we could take the project on ourselves. U seem to knwo something about computer imagery, u could make some of the backgrounds and such. and help me write up the cards, maybe someday the deck could be published

thanks for the compliment... yeah a know a bit but not as much as i want to know. i do know a great deal about fonts (as well as having WAY TOO MANY of them than humanly possible) butyeah... as with any real project (especially these tarot decks) i think collaboration would be fun. so i guess maybe some day you and i can tackle this project. =)

look me up when the stars are right!!!

blessed be,
.dc

kayne

Mateo - there really is no better way to learn tarot than creating your own deck!

I have started so many and my problem is that it takes so long and I want to put so mush into each card that it doesn't take long for another, better idea to come along and for me to leave one theme/style and tackle another...

If you are looking for more ideas for your poetry - the Cosmic Tribe Tarot comes with a full sized book by Eric Ganther that is really fantastic. It contain a lot of poetry - a poem for each Major Arcana card and a longer poem for each of the elements.

eg. 10 Wheel
Wheel in the sky goes round and round,
Blind to whether it's up or down,
Sometimes a banker, sometimes a clown.
Seasons, cycles, smiles and frowns,
Spinning Wheel help us be here now.

Some of them are better than others but they are all very interesting...

dc, I'm a big fan of fonts too :)

Good luck with it!

Major Tom

Mateo06: Have a look at the Buckland Romani Fortunetelling Cards - I think you will like them. ;D

Otherwise let me sing with the choir regarding the benefits of creating your own deck. To quote Richard Bach: "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they are yours." Just do it. }>

By the way - thanks for your description of the coat of arms.

Mateo06

Ur welcome, even though it was how i saw it in my head, but just as great. And thanks for all the help, maybe i'll look those books up.