Would you read it reversed (non-reversible backs)?

Stark Raven

I have a Thoth deck, and am now preparing to begin using it. I have so far learnt to read using reversals. I wish to continue with that. The Thoth deck I have has a Rosicrucian cross on the back, upsidedown, it looks - well, upside down! So given the fact that I had to learn to block the fact that the reversed cards are actually inverted crosses, which if I let it would bother me; I have nonetheless decided to read them reversed despite the backs made it illogical to do so. Do many do this? Or... not?

Grizabella

I don't care about the backs. I read the fronts, not the backs. What harm can it do to know a card will be reversed when you turn it over? You don't know which card it is, so you're not giving anything away ahead of time, after all. :)

tarotbear

I have nonetheless decided to read them reversed despite the backs made it illogical to do so. Do many do this? Or... not?

I don't understand the question. You obviously get upset because the crosses are inverted. What does reading the cards in reversal have to do with the backs of the cards telling you the card is reversed? Does this spoil the surprise or something? If you read with reversals you read with reversals. If the inverted crosses bother you so much I suggest you get a different deck.

Richard

Upside down Hermetic Rose Crosses would bother me too, but upside down fronts would bother me even more, especially the Thoth, with all that esoteric symbolism. I even have trouble making out inverted Hebrew letters.

ETA. Although Thoth was designed for meditation, not divination, the reading method described in BoT uses dignities, not reversals.

Narwhallove

I have a Thoth deck, and am now preparing to begin using it. I have so far learnt to read using reversals. I wish to continue with that. The Thoth deck I have has a Rosicrucian cross on the back, upsidedown, it looks - well, upside down! So given the fact that I had to learn to block the fact that the reversed cards are actually inverted crosses, which if I let it would bother me; I have nonetheless decided to read them reversed despite the backs made it illogical to do so. Do many do this? Or... not?

This seems really important to deck reviewers. I would try to ignore the backs while laying out the cards, though I must admit it would be hard to decide to stop shuffling if I saw a reversal was at the top. Human weakness.

Richard

I always hated to know when a card was reversed before it was turned over. Even with reversible backs, little tell-tale scratches or stains eventually will appear, which can indicate the orientation. I decided that if this issue was bothersome to me, perhaps I should stop using reversals, so that's what I did. Reading is much more enjoyable now.

Metafizzypop

.......the reading method described in BoT uses dignities, not reversals.

This.

The Thoth deck doesn't use reversals, it uses elemental dignities. Since the deck's creators didn't expect the deck to be used with reversals, that might be why they felt free to use the cross on the back.

Regarding other decks that clearly show which end is up......I do use reversals with them. If I know whether a card is rightside up or upside down before I lay it out, I can live with that. I would prefer reversible backs, but I can deal with non-reversible.

Stark Raven

I don't care about the backs. I read the fronts, not the backs. What harm can it do to know a card will be reversed when you turn it over? You don't know which card it is, so you're not giving anything away ahead of time, after all. :)

Your statement pretty much sums up how I have chosen to feel about it. The point of asking was more to see if there are any obstacles or anything else about doing this, or trying to, that I haven't yet considered. Kind of like picking the brains of those of you with experience on this, so to speak.

I don't understand the question. You obviously get upset because the crosses are inverted. What does reading the cards in reversal have to do with the backs of the cards telling you the card is reversed? Does this spoil the surprise or something? If you read with reversals you read with reversals. If the inverted crosses bother you so much I suggest you get a different deck.

Good points, yes. What I was thinking when making the comment about the reversed crosses, was that with a bit of luck, the comment would provoke someone to bring to my attention a version of the deck without the crosses. I was Googling on this and didn't find such an animal. I thought there was a version with the um, without looking up the spelling, unicursal hexagram...? Anyway, is there such a thing? Or for that matter, a Thoth deck with reversible images...

Upside down Hermetic Rose Crosses would bother me too, but upside down fronts would bother me even more, especially the Thoth, with all that esoteric symbolism. I even have trouble making out inverted Hebrew letters.

ETA. Although Thoth was designed for meditation, not divination, the reading method described in BoT uses dignities, not reversals.

No doubt, but I have tried working with elemental dignities. It honestly didn't feel right for me. That may or may not change over time, not sure...

This seems really important to deck reviewers. I would try to ignore the backs while laying out the cards, though I must admit it would be hard to decide to stop shuffling if I saw a reversal was at the top. Human weakness.

I can see that. I can kind of block my eyes to not see that; kind of like a filter I can opt in or out of.

I always hated to know when a card was reversed before it was turned over. Even with reversible backs, little tell-tale scratches or stains eventually will appear, which can indicate the orientation. I decided that if this issue was bothersome to me, perhaps I should stop using reversals, so that's what I did. Reading is much more enjoyable now.

I can see your point. I have no doubt I'll try elemental dignities again in the future. No guarantees it'll work for me next time either; lol...

This.

The Thoth deck doesn't use reversals, it uses elemental dignities. Since the deck's creators didn't expect the deck to be used with reversals, that might be why they felt free to use the cross on the back.

Regarding other decks that clearly show which end is up......I do use reversals with them. If I know whether a card is rightside up or upside down before I lay it out, I can live with that. I would prefer reversible backs, but I can deal with non-reversible.

Yes, I see many feel that the emelental dignities is the favored method with Thoth. Even though I was aware of this being the suggested approach before now, I am surprised to see that most adhere to it. I am going to try to master it again...

Amanda

I tend to read a deck as it's creator intended. I started my taroting way-back-when with a RWS and reversals. I have many decks now that weren't created necessarily with reversals in mind, like the Thoth, so that is how I use them- without reversals. Perhaps this is actually an opportunity for you to explore the cards in an upright only fashion. It's certainly helpful being able to read them both ways, in my opinion.

Stark Raven

I tend to read a deck as it's creator intended. I started my taroting way-back-when with a RWS and reversals. I have many decks now that weren't created necessarily with reversals in mind, like the Thoth, so that is how I use them- without reversals. Perhaps this is actually an opportunity for you to explore the cards in an upright only fashion. It's certainly helpful being able to read them both ways, in my opinion.

Funny you should say that at this moment. I just popped on here on a breather from reading up on elemental dignities (for the third time ever). The difference is, this time I have already worked with the Thoth deck for a few readings (dug it out today after having it in my possession for about 3 years). I can't tell you how much more connected I feel with it than RWS. I always thought that it was the cat's meow. Now I am ready to drop it and move forth; that's the temptation. However, on the other hand, most of my collection openly flaunts my love for RWS decks, now I have to decide how to deal with the aftermath of a change of heart.

What I have seen so far, in just a handful of readings, is that Mr. Crowley's Thoth and I have a great connection, this deck has so very much to say to me that it's just amazing. Yes, I do believe that experiencing this much of my journey through Tarot has readied me for Thoth, I do believe now that Thoth has readied me to learn elemental dignities. I didn't really have a reason to learn them before...