Losing bits of yourself in your Tarot deck?

Stark Raven

I recently met a very seriously talented 'for real' psychic. Things I was told in two days speaking to this new acquaintance, could not be guessed; right down to a description of the childhood home I lived in back in England.

She said that before she became psychic, well the lead in for her was Tarot, that's where she began. I was telling her about some recent happenstances in Tarot, involving spirits intervening and such. I told her I had for a week or so been caught up in a hectic schedule and therefore neglected to do my protection ritual. This is when some strange stuff began for me. All dealt with now though. So this jarred her into recollecting something that she learnt along her journey through Tarot (which doesn't necessarily make it correct).

I want you to tell me if you have ever heard of this phenomenon, as I sure haven't, she described it as 'losing bits of yourself in your Tarot deck'. I asked her to describe it and she said that what she said was in essence totally self-describing. She said that in her opinion, based on her experience with the Tarot, a reader can become so attached to their Tarot deck that if they don't take appropriate steps to protect themselves, they can lose their (energy?) to the deck. Now I'm curious, just because I haven't heard of it, that doesn't make it BS.

If there is truth to it, I'm wondering if it's so, and if it is, how would you protect yourself against this? She made it sound as if it would be the same ritual you would use for regular protection. What she said aside, what do you think of this, share your thoughts with me please. All I know for sure is that it's foolhardy to either totally believe it or totally dismiss it until I know of similar experiences or identify a lack of them with other readers.

tarotbear

It's an interesting concept, but does a chef loses bits of himself to his knives, pots, and pans? Does a house painter loses bits of himself in every room he paints? After all, they are using personal tools just as a reader uses tarot cards.

I've never heard of someone having to 'protect' themselves from their Tarot deck. We leave energy traces everywhere (discussed in a separate thread) but there is a difference between leaving a trace and having your energy 'sucked in' by the description of it.

Stark Raven

It's an interesting concept, but does a chef loses bits of himself to his knives, pots, and pans? Does a house painter loses bits of himself in every room he paints? After all, they are using personal tools just as a reader uses tarot cards.

I've never heard of someone having to 'protect' themselves from their Tarot deck. We leave energy traces everywhere (discussed in a separate thread) but there is a difference between leaving a trace and having your energy 'sucked in' by the description of it.

Yes, I get where you are coming from. I couldn't quite wrap my mind around it either, but still felt the need to ask. The only thing I can compare it to in my mind is like - well I recently began practicing scrying. I haven't done many sessions, but have already seen a vortex appear. Now do I leave energy on the other side of the vortex when I enter? Do I not? Do I but not realize it? If I do, how much? Does Tarot have a vortex equivalent? etc, etc, etc. Point being, if it's not something like illustrated here, then I have trouble imagining what it could be. Certainly, as you pointed out, energy being sucked into the deck seems to defy logic.

My ex was a chef, maybe that's what happened... I better go check the pots and pans.

Padma

Yes, I get where you are coming from. I couldn't quite wrap my mind around it either, but still felt the need to ask. The only thing I can compare it to in my mind is like - well I recently began practicing scrying. I haven't done many sessions, but have already seen a vortex appear. Now do I leave energy on the other side of the vortex when I enter? Do I not? Do I but not realize it? If I do, how much? Does Tarot have a vortex equivalent? etc, etc, etc. Point being, if it's not something like illustrated here, then I have trouble imagining what it could be. Certainly, as you pointed out, energy being sucked into the deck seems to defy logic.

My ex was a chef, maybe that's what happened... I better go check the pots and pans.

Lol at your last line, Ayces :) I have also never heard of losing your energy to the deck, though I do know you can lose energy if you read too many people, and don't do protection of yourself first. But I don't think it goes into the deck - however, maybe that is the answer the psychic came up with, because we always try to find explanations for things that happened to us - know what I mean? :p

As to scrying, I do think, if you protect yourself first, you aren't leaking energy everywhere through the vortex...I think, you just use up a lot of energy doing it! It's hard work!

Cerulean

She might be describing how someone attaches their feelings

and confidence in a certain set of objects,images and if that objectt is lost, the reader feels loss of their own skills and confidence. It sounds like a comfort and personal feeling about just usia specific set of cards . ( I tried to write objects instead of cards earlier)

Rev_Vesta

I believe what can happen is you can find yourself totally addicted to your Tarot deck, asking it every question in all aspects of your life, never doing anything unless you ask the Tarot, you become uncapable of functioning in normal life without asking your Tarot deck what to do, how to do it? etc.....

I suppose then you could lose a part of your normal day to day functioning as a human being...... becoming completly addicted......I then feel maybe you could feel like a part of self slipping away from normal reality......becoming entrenched within the deck... your life lived through Tarot......

Just a thought.....

tarotbear

For the past year I have lived on my laptop up to 8 hours a day {It's really small; I have a fear of falling off}. Does that mean the crystal chips in the laptop have sucked bits of myself into the computer? Do I have to 'protect myself' from my laptop? My laptop is a machine with electric current and moving parts - a Tarot deck is paper and ink.

Grizabella

I'm gonna have to add this one to the "Tarot myths" thread, for sure. :p

I don't believe you lose energy to the cards at all. Like tarotbear said, they're just a tool. It doesn't take your energy. But I guess you can lose energy to them in a physical sense if you shuffle too long. You know, as in "Whew! I'm pooped! I've been shuffling these darned things for twelve hours straight!" In a mental sense, the same thing would apply because
it takes a lot of energy to read the cards for a whole day---sometimes even for less than a day. But a good night's sleep and the energy would be replenished again.

loaa boa

I believe what can happen is you can find yourself totally addicted to your Tarot deck, asking it every question in all aspects of your life, never doing anything unless you ask the Tarot, you become uncapable of functioning in normal life without asking your Tarot deck what to do, how to do it? etc.....

I suppose then you could lose a part of your normal day to day functioning as a human being...... becoming completly addicted......I then feel maybe you could feel like a part of self slipping away from normal reality......becoming entrenched within the deck... your life lived through Tarot......

Just a thought.....

yes i know someone this happened to. i wonder if the mental illness came first or after. i think if a person had ocd tendencies or other underlying mental issues they could easily get addicted.

Stark Raven

Lol at your last line, Ayces :) I have also never heard of losing your energy to the deck, though I do know you can lose energy if you read too many people, and don't do protection of yourself first. But I don't think it goes into the deck - however, maybe that is the answer the psychic came up with, because we always try to find explanations for things that happened to us - know what I mean? :p

As to scrying, I do think, if you protect yourself first, you aren't leaking energy everywhere through the vortex...I think, you just use up a lot of energy doing it! It's hard work!

Yes, I agree that the deck receiving the energy is apparently a poor description of the concept - whatever that may actually be. And I also agree that another person trying to describe a phenomenon as it appears to them may in essence defy logic to another.

and confidence in a certain set of objects,images and if that object is lost, the reader feels loss of their own skills and confidence. It sounds like a comfort and personal feeling about just using a specific set of topls.

Now this statement has a strong resonance... great point Cerulean.

Just a thought.....

My best friend, for a while, thought that this is what was happening to me. She was mistaken, it was in appearance what was happening due to the fact that I had only myself to practice on initially and practiced often. Today I try to keep it to a minimum and prefer this approach. Your comment also adds another aspect to this thread with strong logic. I could see some losing touch with reality and or the here and now.

For the past year I have lived on my laptop up to 8 hours a day {It's really small; I have a fear of falling off}. Does that mean the crystal chips in the laptop have sucked bits of myself into the computer? Do I have to 'protect myself' from my laptop? My laptop is a machine with electric current and moving parts - a Tarot deck is paper and ink.

Ha Ha (falling off)! I have to agree with you. But must add - sometimes when a person writes xyz, it's only because they don't know how to express something in a more appropriate fashion. When posting this, I did know that cards yield no 'power', nor do they hunger to hold our power (at least that's what most of us would believe). Yet still I wondered why this person, who is obviously wise and intellingent, would say this. I was in essence trying to define what she was really saying, know what I mean?

I'm gonna have to add this one to the "Tarot myths" thread, for sure. :p

I don't believe you lose energy to the cards at all. Like tarotbear said, they're just a tool. It doesn't take your energy. But I guess you can lose energy to them in a physical sense if you shuffle too long. You know, as in "Whew! I'm pooped! I've been shuffling these darned things for twelve hours straight!" In a mental sense, the same thing would apply because
it takes a lot of energy to read the cards for a whole day---sometimes even for less than a day. But a good night's sleep and the energy would be replenished again.

Have you ever shuffled for 12 hours straight? Wow, that's a world record isn't it? Yes, the myths thread is appropriate.

(referring to consulting Tarot on virtually everything and losing power to it in that way) - yes i know someone this happened to. i wonder if the mental illness came first or after. i think if a person had ocd tendencies or other underlying mental issues they could easily get addicted.

I have heard people comment on this before but have never heard of someone actually succumbing to the syndrome! Interesting...