Losing bits of yourself in your Tarot deck?

Padma

Lol! I am addicted to my laptop, my Tarot cards, and AT! ;p I am not mentally ill (not by my definition, anyways!) hahahaha! But I can only do it for so long before my mind gets bored and I wander off to do other things :) however, as Grizabella noted, it is possible to become quite depleted doing Tarot for others all day - or, for that matter, sitting in front of the computer all day, either at work or at home...or, during scrying sessions...regardless of the tool or the work, it does take a lot of energy - and, also as she said, it is usually restored after a good night's sleep :)

I wouldn't slight your psychic's intelligence because of the comment about the cards eating his/her energy - as you said, it can be difficult to describe the way we interpret phenomena...and everyone experiences things differently ;) not everyone has a big dose of rational logic in their make-up...so I wouldn't lose faith, just because of that!

tarotbear

(Trying to stay on topic here) To say you are 'addicted' to something (for lack of a better term) indicates that some part of your brain 'feeds' on the action of (fill in the blank); but there is a big difference between shuffling cards for 12 hours straight, or being afraid to fall off your laptop, and the idea that little bits of your energy, psyche, energy emissions, or fingernail clippings are sucked into your Tarot deck like liquefying carrots in a MixMaster.

I totally agree: the person who said this was probably explaining it the best way they could express themselves.

GoldenWolf

My teacher believes that you can only do so many readings per day, the number of which varies from person to person, and do them well. Try to push beyond that and you will exhaust yourself, feel spacey, and probably not serve your sitters well, any of which can make you feel or believe that bad stuff is happening However, it is not the cards draining you or causing this. Sometimes the sitters can do this IF you are already tired and/or they are especially needy in some way. Some it is you just trying to do too much. For example, some amount of exercise is good. More than you are really capable of can actually harm you physically.

I regard myself as an pretty ordinary person who is fairly good at reading the cards and is also clairvoyant to some extent. To me, they are abilities that I happen to have some inclination towards and enjoy enough to develop them. Some people really need to feel that they are special or unique in some way so they come up with romantic and "woo-woo" rationales for their abilities to bolster that feeling. I have also seen people who claim they are messy because they are psychic/read tarot/cast runes etc. I say, nah, I'm just a slob ;)

I know you may admire this person for their abilities, but I would take their theories with a grain of salt.

Stark Raven

(Trying to stay on topic here) To say you are 'addicted' to something (for lack of a better term) indicates that some part of your brain 'feeds' on the action of (fill in the blank); but there is a big difference between shuffling cards for 12 hours straight, or being afraid to fall off your laptop, and the idea that little bits of your energy, psyche, energy emissions, or fingernail clippings are sucked into your Tarot deck like liquefying carrots in a MixMaster.

I totally agree: the person who said this was probably explaining it the best way they could express themselves.

How right and how observant you are tarotbear! All of these elements somehow became aspects of one topic, didn't they...

danieljuk

I am not sure I agree with their 'losing parts of themselves in a tarot deck' statement. But I do think that when you are dealing with peoples emotional and spiritual issues it can be draining. People who work in tarot, alternative therapies, counselling / therapy, and healing can get exhausted by the clients. I am not sure its anything to do with the cards or that part of it though

Stark Raven

I am not sure I agree with their 'losing parts of themselves in a tarot deck' statement. But I do think that when you are dealing with peoples emotional and spiritual issues it can be draining. People who work in tarot, alternative therapies, counselling / therapy, and healing can get exhausted by the clients. I am not sure its anything to do with the cards or that part of it though

I totally get what you are saying and it is much in line with the general overview here. I am still to some degree wondering why this statement from the lady moved me as much as it did. I think it's because she brought this theory to my attention while I was dealing with some 'outside interference' from the spirit realm due to neglect of performing my regular protection ritual. Nothing major, quite minor actually. I have discovered that this isn't rare for one to experience around the time someone feels the third eye opening. That's what happened for me. So point being - I my nerves were a little on edge...

My teacher believes that you can only do so many readings per day, the number of which varies from person to person, and do them well. Try to push beyond that and you will exhaust yourself, feel spacey, and probably not serve your sitters well, any of which can make you feel or believe that bad stuff is happening However, it is not the cards draining you or causing this. Sometimes the sitters can do this IF you are already tired and/or they are especially needy in some way. Some it is you just trying to do too much. For example, some amount of exercise is good. More than you are really capable of can actually harm you physically.

I regard myself as an pretty ordinary person who is fairly good at reading the cards and is also clairvoyant to some extent. To me, they are abilities that I happen to have some inclination towards and enjoy enough to develop them. Some people really need to feel that they are special or unique in some way so they come up with romantic and "woo-woo" rationales for their abilities to bolster that feeling. I have also seen people who claim they are messy because they are psychic/read tarot/cast runes etc. I say, nah, I'm just a slob ;)

I know you may admire this person for their abilities, but I would take their theories with a grain of salt.

I'm hearing you, makes sense. Thanks for the comment and insight!

DaughterOfDanu

I'd like to have been there for this conversation. It's an interesting concept but I'm curious as someone suggested if maybe she was describing someone feeling drained from too many readings.

Certain types of readings for me are very draining- particularly ones speaking with departed ones and within a reading or two I'm ready to take a long break.

Stark Raven

I'd like to have been there for this conversation. It's an interesting concept but I'm curious as someone suggested if maybe she was describing someone feeling drained from too many readings.

Certain types of readings for me are very draining- particularly ones speaking with departed ones and within a reading or two I'm ready to take a long break.

No, I know she wasn't referring to becoming drained from readings. She specifically said it like this - you can lose bits of yourself in the cards. My response was to ask - how? She said - just like I said it, lose bits of yourself in the cards. She said that in her belief this could be prevented by protecting oneself appropriately, but then again didn't clarify any specific type of protection; therefore I understood it to be just regular protection that many do.

NorthernTigress

I see no need for me to protect myself from my deck, any more than I would need to "protect myself" from a book. There is a reason why it is called Reading the cards.

Scrying is different. When you read Tarot, you are interpreting images that already exist. In scrying, you are using your Will to try to create images.

Stark Raven

I see no need for me to protect myself from my deck, any more than I would need to "protect myself" from a book. There is a reason why it is called Reading the cards.

Scrying is different. When you read Tarot, you are interpreting images that already exist. In scrying, you are using your Will to try to create images.

Sure glad though that you don't feel a need to protect yourself from books and Tarot decks!

I agree, I have never protected myself from the cards. I do however regularly protect myself from spirits that seem attracted to whatever is going in my spiritual vibrational field, or whatever the reality of that truly is. As I said, when I recently stopped protection rituals, I had interference with some readings for a bit. I believe, and of course it's only my opinion, that this is only going to happen to a person when their vibrational level is low. Needless to say I'm working on raising mine.

But honestly, the question wasn't about protecting oneself from a deck, it never was. It was more about asking readers if they had heard of a phenomenon of 'losing bits of themselves in a deck, or if they could draw me a comparison to anything that they could think of a parallel to'. You couldn't understand my concern unless you had been exposed to the abilities of this woman, I felt a need on some level to discover the truth or the essence of what she was really describing.