New: Animal Dreaming Oracle by Scott Alexander King.

Jewel

room said:
As far as other decks, several animal decks have a few Australian animals too: Animal Spirits Knowledge Cards; Animal Messages, maybe Magical Menagerie--can't remember and I don't want to wake the spouse up going to look upstairs.
I have the Magical Mengerie, and it is based on Celtic animals as well some mythological creatures. Great little deck by the way.

WolfSpirit

Thanks for showing the Wisdom of the Four Winds deck, room. It looks very nice. I think the New Zealand wildlife is very different from that in Australia though - they may be close but are separate continents.
New Zealand had originally no mammals until they were introduced by humans, and Australia has some very typical mammals like the koala, and the Tazmanian Devil, and the platypus (is that a mammal ? It is sure something else).
I think the Australian animals deserve a deck of their own :D I'd like a deck with a Tazmanian Devil in it.

room

WolfSpirit said:
I'd like a deck with a Tazmanian Devil in it.

Oh well sure, when you put it that way. . .

WolfSpirit

:laugh: LOL, cute !

Jewel

*ROFLMAO* That picture is adorable ....... I don't care how mean they are, they are cute as hell!

Little Hare

Elven :)

No worries! i'm sure i'll run into you again :heart:

Can you tell me if the deck has the thylacine (Tasmainian Tiger) in it?

Elven

Hi everyone!! :)

Bat Chicken, WolfSpirit, Jewel, room & peace_pixie - thankyou for adding to the thread!!

I received a lovely email from Scott Alexander King today which I'd like to share with you regarding the symbology on the cards. The symbols are not (as I was thinking) based on any specific culture. Scott Explains their evolvement and meaning in the letter below :)
I invited Scott to view the thread here at AT - he was wowed that we were discussing his deck :D

here it is below ...
ScottAlexanderKing said:
Hi Elven

Thanks so much for your email and your words of encouragement. I love how the deck has turned out and have waited years to see it come to fruition.

It's amazing for me to see my deck already being used (it has only just been released into stores!) and am convinced that you are probably the very first person to offer a reading with them, let alone a review! I am thrilled. Thank you.

Now, re the symbols. Although taking basic inspiration from traditional art styles and symbology of many different cultures, the symbols (in the top corner) represent the essence of the animal's spirit; the embodiment of their message; a translation of their key interpretation. If you look closely, you will see that the symbols are simply interpretations of the animals 'one word meaning'. For example, the possum card (# 30) speaks of opportunity, wth the symbol resembling a T-intersection. It also suggests a weight being carried on a man's back. The dingo (#25) is the trickster, and its symbol looks like a swirling ball of confusion ... and yet there is order to that confusion. Card # 19 is the ant - and its symbol resembles a bar that has been bent, but then if you look closer, you will make out a human figure - suggesting strength of mind, body and character. Card #17, the frogmouth - its symbol invites you to delve deeper into its meaning, while resembling a pointer finger ... perhaps postioned over one's lips asking that a secret be kept? And as my last example, the thylacine's symbol (#27) represents a scroll of parchment ... but is the scroll unfolding to reveal its hidden words, or is it not?

Thanks so much for asking about the symbols. I have not included their interpretations in the book because their 'secrets' are to be released later ... in my seminars and workshops. I plan to release the symbols into the world in varying forms -- but more on that later!!

And re the runes at the bottom of the card - you are exactly right. They are there as guides to the elements, and your explanation of them is wonderful. I couldn't have explained them better myself.

We have been on the Aeclectic Tarot Forum and have read the posts - and were totally blown away! You guys don't waste time, huh? Perhaps you could explain the symbols using the info above (you can translate it into your own words if you'd like), as it seems important for people to know my intentions, and I don't want them getting the wrong idea re the cultural origins of the symbology.

Thanks again, Elven

Scott
www.animaldreaming.com

For those in Sydney - Scott is holding an 3 day Course at Taronga Park Zoo in August - hopfully I will attend - maybe we can have a meet-up from Aeclectians too :D. For those interested here is the info:
http://www.animaldreaming.com/certified_course.php

~~~~~

Hi room :D
Just to clarify about the symbols on the deck, Scott has explained in his email. But just to give you my personal approach as well for when Im reading the cards.

I have read with 'similar' symbols from different artists of different cultures on other deck too - such as the Celtic Oracle, the Indigenous American, Zulu, Mayan, Egyptian, Indian, Maouri, and many others ... and as I understand, all symbology is a language of Universal communication - enabling the exchange of knowledge, wisdom, understanding, for all levels of existance - but also they are communicating at a subconscious level.

Symbols expressed in the Animal Dreaming Deck are unique expressions in themselves. Their design and inclusion in the deck speak to me of a culmination of old knowledge forever carried in the heart, one which has stayed with the animals of this desert land. It speaks of their survival and their heritage, their Dreaming, their connection to the earth.
In that context, the Symbols do offer another chanel or path to accessing that unique knowledge from the essence of the animals themselves.

room said:
Sorry Elven, I didn't intend to pick apart your lovely new deck, but what the heck are American aboriginal symbols doing in a deck about Australian animals? The whole thing seems derivative to me.

... and this is where I thank you room, you made me search for answers, and I think I found (my) connection to a better understanding of the cards, and the Symbols which have been designed for the deck ...

I was thinking about what you mentioned, and a word came to me ...Gondwanna Land. On further reflection, I went searching on the net and here is the connection of the symbols I now see as more relevant than I possibly would have ever before ... Some of the counties we talk about were literally connected at one time. The Symbology connects these areas nicely ...

http://watershed3.tripod.com/gondwana.html said:
The present day continental masses of Australasia, Antarctica, South Africa, Madagasca, India and South America were once a great, single continent that geologists call Gondwanaland or Gondwana. Evidence of the Gondwanaland connection is still seen in some of the living flora and fauna of those land masses. For example, marsupials are found in Australia and South America, and plants of the Proteaceae are found in Africa, India, S. E. Asia, Australia and South and Central America but not in Northern America, Europe, North Africa and Asia. Fossil records show the conncetion of the Gondwana land masses to a very strong degree. Some of our fishes, such as the Autralian Arowanas or Bonytongues (Scleropages jardinii and S. leichardti) also show a Gondwana connection. The Bonytongue family also includes S. formosus (the Asian Dragonfish), Osteoglossum bicirrhosum (the Sth American, Silver Bonytongue), Osteoglossum ferreirai (the Sth American Black Bonytongue), and the African species, Heteriotis niloticus.

Interstingly, cichlids are found in all of the Gondwana connected lands except for Australia. Rainbow Fish are found in Australia, New Guinea and parts of S. E. Asia but not in the rest of Gondwanna connected lands.

(Please go to the website to view the map)
Map Showing Ancient Gondwanaland (Carboniferous Period).

By the Eocene Epoch (55-38 million years ago, during the Tertiary Period), Gondwana had almost split apart, except for parts of old Gondwana such as Australia, Antarctica and South America that remained joined in the south. The Antarctic portion of Gondwana lay at the South Pole but it was free of ice and snow because the global climate was warmer. A forested corridor linked Australia and South America.

So the Symbolic designs to me have now further significance and relevance, and remind me of the heritage and lore of the Land from long ago which these animlas now call home. The Indigenous Lore and teachings considered Australia the oldest landmass in the world.
Hope ive been able to explain that OK :D
Blessings!!

... and as WolfSpirit mentioned - New Zealand is an inspiringly beautiful land very different flora and fauna - after all - its MiddleEarth! ;) :laugh:

The Tasmanian Devil is awesome!! LOL !!! :laugh: :love:

Hi peace_pixie :D
peace_pixie said:
Can you tell me if the deck has the thylacine (Tasmainian Tiger) in it?

Yes!! The Thylacine is depicted in the Earth elementals, and is card number 27, .... its Essence is Wisdom!

I will be opening a thread and doing some readings using the cards, so please join me. I will edit the post and put the thread link in if you'd like to put your name down and I can draw a card for you :)

Thanks everyone!!
Blessings Elven x

room

Elven said:
So the Symbolic designs to me have now further significance and relevance, and remind me of the heritage and lore of the Land from long ago

Yes for sure, very interesting Elven.

I liked Scott's take on those gorgeous symbols in the upper right of the cards. I honestly think they would make a great deck on their own. That's the way I'd prefer the cards myself, but with all the other information too.

So Scott can get double the money and fans by releasing a secondary deck featuring large depictions of those enchanting glyphs!

I don't think I've ever seen a deck creator do something like that. I thinks it's a fabulous idea, and you could use them together too.

Jewel

Elven thank you so much for all of the information, and thanks to Scott for imparting his insights as the deck creator. One of the things I love about AT is that we can usually get deck creators to come talk to us and share with us. We are lucky that way!

I now know I do want this deck, and will have to have it. It is a shame the symbols are not released in the book as it is a little difficult for those of us in the US to attend his seminars in Australia ... and some of us want all of the information pertinent to getting the most out of the deck NOW *LOL*.

Again thank you ... guess it is time to start saving to pay for the shipping from Australia!

WolfSpirit

Elven said:
I will be opening a thread and doing some readings using the cards, so please join me. I will edit the post and put the thread link in if you'd like to put your name down and I can draw a card for you :)

What a great idea ! *hops over to the readings section*

Elven thank you for all the information, your enthusiasm for the deck is contagious :D