The Biggest Bust of 2012 ?

Rhoswen

Zombie. I just didn't connect with it. At all.

Le Fanu

If there's a lot of hype about a particular deck, for me that's a warning sign not to get it. That has been my policy ever since I bought Legacy of the Divine, and it has not let me down yet.
I don't really think that any tarot deck is hyped. That suggests something that the publishers do and that there is some elaborate marketing machine behind it all and you just don't see that in tarot. What you do get is people - I mean, just us - talking a lot about a deck. I don't really call that hype to be honest. Let's call it selective enthusiasm. Plus there are some decks that have been much talked about that I love; Victorian Romantic, Deviant Moon, Wild Unknown, Bohemian Gothic...

But I have to say the last few LoS decks have been very disappointing for me; Mystic Spiral, Dark Fairytale, Book of Shadows. They just feel so unnecessary.

I am sorry to say (and hate to admit this) that I am quietly rethinking my opinion of LoS decks. Let's see if the next few releases pull things back a bit from the abyss

Debra

I don't really think that any tarot deck is hyped. That suggests something that the publishers do and that there is some elaborate marketing machine behind it all and you just don't see that in tarot.

You're kidding? Fan clubs are part of marketing. A publisher develops a friendship (or sucks up to) a few "opinion leaders," feeds them free goodies (a book or lunch, whatever), there's a joyful noisy brouhaha here and loving reviews on the blogs, skeptics are slammed to the ground....that's a marketing machine.

Le Fanu

You're kidding? Fan clubs are part of marketing. A publisher develops a friendship (or sucks up to) a few "opinion leaders," feeds them free goodies (a book or lunch, whatever), there's a joyful noisy brouhaha here and loving reviews on the blogs, skeptics are slammed to the ground....that's a marketing machine.
Do you think that happens regularly in tarot? With fans being fed decks to gush over here?

Penthasilia

I might get tomatoes thrown- but I would have to say the Mary-El.

Not because of the art, it is stunning. But because of the horrible cardstock that Schiffer used that made it impossible for me to even keep.

So sad- as that was a deck I very much wanted to love and use. :(

Metafizzypop

The Hexen 2.0. Remember that deck? A lot of people got so excited when it first came out. And some people bought it. And then after they got it they found they couldn't read with it. Because it was just So Damn Weird.

I guess people liked it, at first, because it was something different. But it musta been a little TOO different. Incomprehensible, from what I can tell.

I didn't buy it and I guess that was a good thing (although I do find it a collectible item even though it seems to have fallen off the radar).

Eeviee

Witches Tarot by Dugan & Evans. I loved what I saw before it came out, and really disliked what I saw when it arrived. A little more time with it and it redeemed itself somewhat. But I still feel it could have been MUCH better.

Disa

I think I only bought 3 decks this year. Witches Tarot for me was the bust. I still can't stand to look at it. I've tried, I really have. It was the only deck I've ever bought that I wanted to sell immediately. I still have it though.

Debra

Do you think that happens regularly in tarot? With fans being fed decks to gush over here?

It doesn't take many. People love being "friends" with artists and publishers.

Like Penthasilia, I too am disappointed by the Mary-El set.

Miss Divine

I might get tomatoes thrown- but I would have to say the Mary-El.

Not because of the art, it is stunning. But because of the horrible cardstock that Schiffer used that made it impossible for me to even keep.

So sad- as that was a deck I very much wanted to love and use. :(

Since the Kingdom Within Tarot, I stay away from everything from Schiffer! That cardstock truly is horrible like you say.