Reading v/s Judging

bellathebrave123

The cards indicated a lot of depression. i probably should have just told her that, and left it alone.

(((Coco bird))) You wernt judging her or offering an opinion. You simply asked her a question and she didn't have to answer it . Often we ask questions in readings and often they are just things to contemplate or for the querant to explore in their own time. You are obviously a very reflective and empathetic reader and you did nothing wrong.

bellathebrave123

duplicate

bellathebrave123

and again...

Cocobird55

(((Coco bird))) You wernt judging her or offering an opinion. You simply asked her a question and she didn't have to answer it . Often we ask questions in readings and often they are just things to contemplate or for the querant to explore in their own time. You are obviously a very reflective and empathetic reader and you did nothing wrong.

Thank you so much.

AraLuck

I can't say I have much experience as a tarot reader, but my attitude with tarot is the same I have on my therapy sessions. I only state the facts after a careful evaluation and then I wait for their motivations. If they realize the "problem", then it's okay to give a suggestion (a politically correct one, of course. You should never let your personal opinion come between the two of you). If they don't acknowledge the issue, then there's no point. Even if your reading is correct, they won't acknowledge the reading because it's not what they wanted to hear. It's sad, but true.
Unless the person getting a reading is ready to face the issue, suggestions won't be heard. And this is the attitude I think it's correct. You should do the reading without any judgement and try to inspect their reaction to the news. Only so you can give a suggestion (or not).

Totally agree with that. Thank you Shibiusa. In retrospect, I think I just do offer some form of advice if it's been put in a question. Like I gave in the initial post of this thread. TBH, I have a harder time with the people I know and love, but still I try and keep the space. I really try and separate my own feelings and remain objective. In any case, if we are not objective in our readings, aren't we doing our querent/client/sitter a huge disservice? Are we even telling them something accurate?

AraLuck

i used to have a regular client. The last time i read for her, quite a few of the cards showed depression. So i asked if she was depressed (our conversations outside of reading made me think she was.)

She got all defensive and said she wasn't. i didn't argue with her -- just told her that if she ever felt that way there is a lot of help out there.

i haven't heard from her since, and its been months. i feel bad about it, but i honestly didn't push her into admitting her depression. Maybe she thought i was judging her. i hope not.

Like it's been said somewhere else on this thread, you can take a horse to the water, but you cannot make it drink. Someone also said it's like invading someone's boundaries if you're wanting to take more action about an issue than they are. Again I will bring up my ex with his drinking issue. I have offered to help. But he's in denial. So I just won't do anything but leave my door open. At the end of the day, it's a matter of free will. Whatever this person chooses to do with his/her life, you have to honour it and let them do what they want.

SunChariot

I've had this thought before, but it was rekindled by another thread I was following just now.

I went through a series of Tarot readers at a particular time in my life, and I used to hang up or walk out on any of them that would just offer a 'judgment'. By that I mean, I was uncomfortable just being told what the reader thought about the spread rather than what it what actually meant, so that I could make up my own mind about the pertinence of it.

A perfectly fictitious example:
Sitter: "Is it worth giving X a second chance. He cheated on me."
Spread: Rx King Wands - 7 Swords - Three Cups

Reader A (non judgmental) : "I think X is not the faithful man you would wish him to be. It still seems he's sneaking around as there's definitely the energy of a 3rd person here. My advice is it seems it would be risky to give him a second chance."

Reader B (judgmental) : "X is a casanova, he's not worth you honey. Why do you want to be with someone like this? He's already cheated on you. Have some respect for yourself. Why would you even think about a second time after what he did to you the first time? (Etc)"

So even though I know Reader B means as well as Reader A, I always prefer the A approach. It would be interesting to see how people feel about these styles. I wonder whether there should be more than an interpretation of the reading offered, until and unless the querent asks for advice.

I also read something about Life Coaches around here and I have come across a few readers who add this to their description - so am wondering whether this is what separates the plain simple reader from the coach/counsellor.

That's a complicated question in a sense. The first reason is as a reader I would never read on a question of that sort. I would never ask a question that tries to tell the querent what they should or should not do. Or what is worth doing for a querent or not. I would not read on the question as asked, although that may have been only an example and not necessarily a real question asked.

The way I see it, Tarot is a tool to empower us and to give us what we need to know to make the best decisions for ourselves. Not to make the decisions for us. Telling someone what it is worth doing for them, takes that away from them. Imho, they need to make the decision for themselves, what they feel is worth it to them or not.

Maybe I would ask instead about what would come in the future IF they gave X a second chance. Maybe even advice on things they could do to increase the chances of things going well. Then I would leave the querent to decide what is worth it to them or not.

That said (and not trying to be annoying, just to try to answer in the best way I can), I don't like either approach too much. Although I do myself MUCH prefer a non-judgmental method, the last sentence ruins it for me. I don't like that she is giving her advice. personally. I believe she should just say what she sees and let you decide. Without the last sentence, it works well for me. OR instead of "My advice is it seems it would be risky to give him a second chance", just "The cards are saying that is would be risky to give him another chance." To me, keep the personal advice out of it and just tell what you see in the cards.

The second one was, for me was much worse. I don't see that ANY of what this readers is saying is coming from the cards at all. A reading is a reading after all. Reader A is saying what they see in the cards. Reader B, it looks like pure opinion and nothing more that I can see.

I think it's important as a reader to keep our own opinions out of it.

It may well be clear to us that a person should have self-respect and not let themselves be walked over. But we have to understand too that each of us in on a different place in our life paths.

WE learned what we know through experiences we had in our lives, but others have not had the same experiences we have had. They learnt what they learnt under different circumstances. We can't just GIVE them our experiences, they have to learn on their own many times, just as we did.

What seems clear to us may not be to the querent. Not where they are in their lives as the current moment. We can't always just MAKE it clear by telling them. They may not be ready to change or able to inside just yet. And I think we have to respect where people are inside atm. Just as we would want them to respect who and where we are inside at any given moment.

I think that being judgmental disrespects the reader. Especially something like asking them WHY they want to be with someone like this is hurtful to them. And as readers we are meant to help not hurt.

IF they want to be with this person, it is because imo they have not yet evolved inside past the point of needed to do this. They can't help that. Inner evolution is a process, and not one that happens overnight. They are not more "advanced" than that at the present moment or they would not choose painful experiences for themselves.

None of us are perfect. Life teaches us more and more as we move forward. But they want to be there because they don't know yet how to stop. It's not for the reader to berate a querent, who is doing the best they are able at the current time.

Those are my opinions atm, if I explained them well (hopefully)

Babs

VGimlet

I always try to just let the cards to the talking.

Sometimes it's been a challenge, especially a couple of situations that have come up lately in readings where I REALLY WANTED to interject my opinion, but I didn't.

This is why sometimes I think it's easier to read for people one doesn't know. Because when you know details about a person's situation it's tempting to let the knowledge infect the reading (if you get my drift).

Sometimes before I do a reading for someone I know really well, I'll take a moment or two before the reading to remind myself of that very thing - let the cards do the talking. :p