Old People & Readings For Them.

DownUnderNZer

Before Christmas a neighbor/friend in her 60's wanted me to go with her to see this 90 year old Gypsy palm reader who incidentally turned out to not be a very good one at all in my eyes.

Anyways, the older you were she charged LESS which I found interesting and it actually made me think about "readers" and "sitters"...especially "old old sitters".

Personlly, I dont think I would read for anyone over 65 or 70 as I think as a reader I would be talking more about "who" is around them rather than about them and their work, new love, career etc. Who at 70 would want to know about a new career if we are being realistic? (Not trying to be rude or disrespectful, but I did pay attention to this 90 year old that tried to LURE me first rather than my friend/neighbor!!! Very very persistent).

So, do any on here perhaps refrain from reading people over 65 to 70 years plus plus plus of age for certain reasons? If so, why not? If you do, how easy or difficult is it to do it?

I know alot ask about Love, Money, Careers, Education, Marriage, Pregancy etc etc etc, so Im trying to work out, UNLESS its about kids and grandkids lives which might be prying, what an older person would want to know.

Again not wanting to open up a can of worms...just bugged me what this 90 yr old did...but it did actually make me think as to why would she charge LESS the older you were and why she was more KEEN on me than the real person that wanted a reading. :)

mahafrins

Before Christmas a neighbor/friend in her 60's wanted me to go with her to see this 90 year old Gypsy palm reader who incidentally turned out to not be a very good one at all in my eyes.

Anyways, the older you were she charged LESS which I found interesting and it actually made me think about "readers" and "sitters"...especially "old old sitters".

Personlly, I dont think I would read for anyone over 65 or 70 as I think as a reader I would be talking more about "who" is around them rather than about them and their work, new love, career etc. Who at 70 would want to know about a new career if we are being realistic? (Not trying to be rude or disrespectful, but I did pay attention to this 90 year old that tried to LURE me first rather than my friend/neighbor!!! Very very persistent).

So, do any on here perhaps refrain from reading people over 65 to 70 years plus plus plus of age for certain reasons? If so, why not? If you do, how easy or difficult is it to do it?

I know alot ask about Love, Money, Careers, Education, Marriage, Pregancy etc etc etc, so Im trying to work out, UNLESS its about kids and grandkids lives which might be prying, what an older person would want to know.

Again not wanting to open up a can of worms...just bugged me what this 90 yr old did...but it did actually make me think as to why would she charge LESS the older you were and why she was more KEEN on me than the real person that wanted a reading. :)

I have never been accurate with very old people for some reason i feel tarot is not very good for oldies. Infact i did some experiment of 2 old people it didnt go well. I feel tarot is more for younger persons.

Next is suppose the death card comes they acutally think they will die or we might just think so. Next health issues for old people are unpredictable. You dont know when they will plague tarot in short in my experience which only 8 months now doesn't hold good for people above 70. That would be my bench mark.

Even reading for my granny is tough she is 90 years tried her reading and it was so unusual it was not able to say anything was discribin how she really is and all her past.

Spiderwoman

Good morning
OOUCH!! The closer I get to 60 the more I realise I AM NOT OLD!!!
I feel that a reading for an older person would be a challenge in a different way. But my understanding of Tarot is that it is about self discovery as much as "will I have a baby etc". I feel a discussion with the client before the reading to see what it is they hope to gain and chat about what you are prepared and not prepared to read on - ie a third party would be useful!! As to love - a couple in their 80s got married recently to someone they meet on a dating site!!
Spiderwoman

Chiriku

I think you know you were opening that can of worms (65 is "old" now? I don't think so), but no matter.

Your post suggests you--like many young people, no doubt---have some underlying assumptions about older people that I personally do not believe to be true. Your examples suggest that you think older people have no opportunities for growth, self-analysis, discovery. By those criteria, old people do not dream or hope; they do not long for anything (except perhaps a comfortable death) and they are already mentally halfway out of this world as evidenced by their judging their life in terms of who they have left behind them (grandchildren, as you suggested).

Maybe this is the case for some older people, but I cannot believe it is the case for most of them.

I suspect that many people in their 70s and 80s are like I was when I turned 30---they stopped and scratched their heads and said, "How the hell did that happen?" They were so busy being "themselves" and being in their own heads that they didn't realize what it looks like to the outside world, that they have allegedly passed into some new state of being such that their old life and all the old rules they lived by no longer apply.

In short, the only way a person could believe it's not necessary or beneficial to read for older people is if he or she subconsciously believes that after a certain age or period of fecundity or ability to get hired for a job has passed, a human being stops thinking, dreaming, wondering, and longing--that they have stopped living and now merely exist. I don't believe that, and so I am glad to read for such people.

By the way, most of the examples you gave are couched in "answers"-based readings. "Will I get X," or "What does Y think about Z?" And while there are many querents who come to readers for The Answers, there are also some who are interested in tarot for matters of spiritual inquiry or personal growth. And here's hoping that tarot will always be of use to such people.

Chiriku

...(Not trying to be rude or disrespectful, but I did pay attention to this 90 year old that tried to LURE me first rather than my friend/neighbor!!! Very very persistent).

Maybe she feels you and/or other younger people are more gullible and/or prone to spend money coming back for additional readings on repeated questions related to "Will so-and-so ask me on the date?" or "What did Jimmy think when he was flirting with me?"

Perhaps an unfair assumption to make of all young people but then, there have been some unfair assumptions of older people floated in this thread.

DownUnderNZer

Good morning
OOUCH!! The closer I get to 60 the more I realise I AM NOT OLD!!!
I feel that a reading for an older person would be a challenge in a different way. But my understanding of Tarot is that it is about self discovery as much as "will I have a baby etc". I feel a discussion with the client before the reading to see what it is they hope to gain and chat about what you are prepared and not prepared to read on - ie a third party would be useful!! As to love - a couple in their 80s got married recently to someone they meet on a dating site!!
Spiderwoman

Self Discovery...as in guidance...although you would think someone in their 70s would know themselve by then surely. ;)

Sweet that two old 80 something year olds met like that....and married...impressssssive! :)
Must have to come down to discernment and gut....all that.

Thanks for sharing! :)

DownUnderNZer

Maybe she feels you and/or other younger people are more gullible and/or prone to spend money coming back for additional readings on repeated questions related to "Will so-and-so ask me on the date?" or "What did Jimmy think when he was flirting with me?"

Perhaps an unfair assumption to make of all young people but then, there have been some unfair assumptions of older people floated in this thread.

I only see a proper reader once a year or two and am not so young like you think...heading more towards the old age direction rather than young although I do look alot younger. ;)

And my neighbor (68 yrs old) had valid reasons to see a reader I feel after being ditched by her partner of 31 years for no reason...only that was in August that that happened...so she didnt see that reader until December and just wanted to understand the situation more since he wasnt so forth coming.

The 90 yr old had other plans though when she saw us both together....

Aulruna

I don't see why Tarot is not useful for oldies. I read for people who are 60+ all the time, and while it's true that the pregnancy question doesn't pop up any more :D the relationship questions are still similar - more mature than "what does he think of me" type readings, but in-depth looks into relationships that may be a 40 year marriage or a new romance.

Quite a few help raising grandchildren, so parenting questions are still frequent, as are other family issues.

Same career-wise ... my stepdad is in his 70ies, he was mayor for 25 years and still works as a tutor for administrative law, writes articles for the local paper and gives keynote speeches. Some people are lucky enough to be able to pick a 2nd career not for the monetary need, but for the love of it, and the resulting readings are exciting and rewarding.

DownUnderNZer

I don't see why Tarot is not useful for oldies. I read for people who are 60+ all the time, and while it's true that the pregnancy question doesn't pop up any more :D the relationship questions are still similar - more mature than "what does he think of me" type readings, but in-depth looks into relationships that may be a 40 year marriage or a new romance.

Quite a few help raising grandchildren, so parenting questions are still frequent, as are other family issues.

Same career-wise ... my stepdad is in his 70ies, he was mayor for 25 years and still works as a tutor for administrative law, writes articles for the local paper and gives keynote speeches. Some people are lucky enough to be able to pick a 2nd career not for the monetary need, but for the love of it, and the resulting readings are exciting and rewarding.

More maturity...that I do like. :D

I must say I did sit down with my neighbor and looked at Tarot and the Oracle for her...to help her come to terms with it more...and it did help her alot although at the time I wasnt sure if I was doing the right thing especially with such a sensitive topic.

Anyways...I caught up with her on Saturday (just the one that passed) by chance, so she actually updated me on everything that the cards told her in December including that he would contact her etc and the things going on in his life that she didnt know....but does now.

She said everything I told her was accurate even that he didnt seem to be wanting to come back to her, but at least he was in contact again.

Having said that....could never imagine reading for my mum only as she has a very simple uncomplicated life in her old age...she would more than likely want to know that her kids and grand kids are fine Id say. :)

Thanks for your input...cant wait for the maturity thing myself....not the aging just the maturity :heart:

PathWalker

Wow, you made me feel blasted by your assumptions about how narrow my life might get when I get older! And that I'll have no more need for self-discovery? Is that because I'll be perfect or a lost cause?

If that's how you feel about "people of age" I guess that's how it is - but not everyone has those feelings about ageing I think.

Pathwalker