Old People & Readings For Them.

Richard

I'm 74, soon to be 75 (knock on wood), and I'm enjoying the hell out of this. :) Hope this thread goes on and on and on.....

DownUnderNZer

I'm 74, soon to be 75, and I'm enjoying the hell out of this!. :) Hope this thread goes on and on and on.....

Must say...sense of humor is ageless as well as what is going on in the inside it seems :D

wildchilde

So, do any on here perhaps refrain from reading people over 65 to 70 years plus plus plus of age for certain reasons? If so, why not? If you do, how easy or difficult is it to do it?

Again not wanting to open up a can of worms...just bugged me what this 90 yr old did...but it did actually make me think as to why would she charge LESS the older you were and why she was more KEEN on me than the real person that wanted a reading. :)

I'm not sure I quite get why you are drawing the conclusion that age had anything to do with your experience or why it should have anything to do with who we read for and why. But to answer your questions...

I am in my 40's and have been learning Tarot for many decades now. I have never and would never "refrain" from reading for people who are adults and of (reasonably) sound mind for any reason related to their age. (I might refrain if I just didn't like them or didn't think they were open to Tarot, etc). After all, it was a person in her 70's who introduced me to reading cards to begin with when I was a teen (my grandmother), and a good friend of mine now (who is in her 60's) is someone I regularly have reading exchange with. I can also say, the majority of people I know who are in their 60's-80's would still be interested in answers to the "life" questions you listed except for perhaps the pregnancy issue. And it has actually always been much easier for me to read for people who are older because (generally speaking) the older a person is the easier it is for them to understand that a tarot reading is not set in stone and that they have control of their own lives and destiny. They are also usually more open to more introspective/spiritual readings (which I, as a reader, prefer to the mundane daily life stuff).

As to the reader you mention...perhaps this 90 something reader understands that the older a person is the more they have earned the right to certain "perks" like senior discounts and she probably also knows that people of retirement age generally live on a fixed income. Or maybe she just likes old people best ;)

As far as her trying to get you to "go first", maybe at her age she gets tired more easily and wanted to make sure she would be able to give you a decent reading...or maybe she saw something in you that made her feel like you were more in need of a reading. (as you said, the poor woman you were with was already hit by the train...she didn't need a reader to tell her that). Again, I'm not sure why you are automatically assuming her actions have anything to do with the age difference between you and your friend.

DownUnderNZer

I'm not sure I quite get why you are drawing the conclusion that age had anything to do with your experience or why it should have anything to do with who we read for and why. But to answer your questions...

I am in my 40's and have been learning Tarot for many decades now. I have never and would never "refrain" from reading for people who are adults and of (reasonably) sound mind for any reason related to their age. (I might refrain if I just didn't like them or didn't think they were open to Tarot, etc). After all, it was a person in her 70's who introduced me to reading cards to begin with when I was a teen (my grandmother), and a good friend of mine now (who is in her 60's) is someone I regularly have reading exchange with. I can also say, the majority of people I know who are in their 60's-80's would still be interested in answers to the "life" questions you listed except for perhaps the pregnancy issue. And it has actually always been much easier for me to read for people who are older because (generally speaking) the older a person is the easier it is for them to understand that a tarot reading is not set in stone and that they have control of their own lives and destiny. They are also usually more open to more introspective/spiritual readings (which I, as a reader, prefer to the mundane daily life stuff).

As to the reader you mention...perhaps this 90 something reader understands that the older a person is the more they have earned the right to certain "perks" like senior discounts and she probably also knows that people of retirement age generally live on a fixed income. Or maybe she just likes old people best ;)

As far as her trying to get you to "go first", maybe at her age she gets tired more easily and wanted to make sure she would be able to give you a decent reading...or maybe she saw something in you that made her feel like you were more in need of a reading. (as you said, the poor woman you were with was already hit by the train...she didn't need a reader to tell her that). Again, I'm not sure why you are automatically assuming her actions have anything to do with the age difference between you and your friend.

She dismissed my neighbor when she saw me and actually grabbed my arm. I SAW RIGHT THROUGH her even before she touched me and that was before she started bad mouthing the other tarot readers in the same location! :bugeyed: You know when you get a gut feeling that someone just isnt right or that they are as cunning as a fox....that is how I felt about her...and that was before she saw us coming. Just something about her made the bells go Ding Ding Ding. i even told my neighbor to think twice first...

Her reading palms came down to her telling my neighbor all about her STAR SIGN and it had nothing to do with what was in her palm at all... I walked away after 15 mins.

She didnt do discounts she did it by age. eg 30 to 45 $40/45 to 55 $35/ 55 to 65 $25 for 30 mins.

Like that.....

PS She knew my neighbor was coming as they had met briefly a week or so before that and arranged it.

Richard

Must say...sense of humor is ageless as well as what is going on in the inside it seems :D
Chronologically I'm 74, physically (no health issues) around 60-ish, emotionally 16 or thereabouts }).

Sulis

Personlly, I dont think I would read for anyone over 65 or 70 as I think as a reader I would be talking more about "who" is around them rather than about them and their work, new love, career etc. Who at 70 would want to know about a new career if we are being realistic? (Not trying to be rude or disrespectful, but I did pay attention to this 90 year old that tried to LURE me first rather than my friend/neighbor!!! Very very persistent).

So, do any on here perhaps refrain from reading people over 65 to 70 years plus plus plus of age for certain reasons? If so, why not? If you do, how easy or difficult is it to do it?

I know alot ask about Love, Money, Careers, Education, Marriage, Pregancy etc etc etc, so Im trying to work out, UNLESS its about kids and grandkids lives which might be prying, what an older person would want to know.

I'm sorry but I cannot believe that you actually think like this.. You really think that people in their 60s and 70s have nothing in their lives apart from the people around them, honestly???

You should look at your sitters as people, not as a number that represents their age - everyone has the ability to grow, no matter how old they are. Maybe you should seriously consider doing some voluntary work or something similar which will put you in contact with some old people and you'll realise that they're actually just like you, with the same fears and insecurities, the same hopes and dreams...

I'm shocked..

DownUnderNZer

I'm sorry but I cannot believe that you actually think like this.. You really think that people in their 60s and 70s have nothing in their lives apart from the people around them, honestly???

You should look at your sitters as people, not as a number that represents their age - everyone has the ability to grow, no matter how old they are. Maybe you should seriously consider doing some voluntary work or something similar which will put you in contact with some old people and you'll realise that they're actually just like you, with the same fears and insecurities, the same hopes and dreams...

I'm shocked..

Point is...its not really about what I think and feel as we all have our own preferences whether about dating someone or not, certain circles, where we go or not, religious beliefs, even the food choices we make....it's life...what I wanted to know was other peoples thoughts and feelings like below:

We ALL have our own choices as to why or why not we do things or not....doesnt make it right or wrong...unless another person is harmed perhaps and then it makes a difference.

PathWalker

Chronologically I'm 74, physically (no health issues) around 60-ish, emotionally 16 or thereabouts }).

I reckon I've made it to mid 20's emotionally, perhaps that's having babies ages you in the head?

:)

Richard

I reckon I've made it to mid 20's emotionally, perhaps that's having babies ages you in the head?

:)
I've had kids, but they are all now gone away (although they visit and call fairly regularly), so I have regressed to a pre-20s maturity level, although I have no desire to procreate: 2 children and 2 stepchildren being quite enough.

DownUnderNZer

I've had kids, but they are all now gone away (although they visit and call fairly regularly), so I have regressed to a pre-20s maturity level, although I have no desire to procreate: 2 children and 2 stepchildren being quite enough.

Wait to the grand kids come along...you may go down yet again in age when they make you feel young again...lets just hope they are not too active and full of mischief... as the mind is one thing, but keeping up physically is another. ;)