Work In Progress

darkling_raven

if you could ...

IronSkyFalling, Resident:
-Well, if you could suggest another freeserver webhost service, I could transfer & copy the files over to an alternate webhost site so those who can't access the geocities acc. can then view the work as well. =*.*=

-I woudln't mind copying the site over. Its just a matter of cut and pasting the coding.

M-Press, Citizen
-I'll try and see if I retain the sketch-line integrity. Though, I don't think my ink work is too bad *grinz* I'll do some mock-up styles with different mediums and see if I can scan them in another time.

Skytwig, Tattered Faerie
-I'll see to keeping the 'ram' wings =^.^= ... but HudsonGray had some good ideas to retain the quality of the horns :)

HudsonGray, Elder
-Thanks for the commentary. They really help :) The movement for the Magician is well spoken. Like before. I don't quite like the base myself (which includes the positioning of the feet).

-the Empress, I'm not entirely happy with. But they/re other thing I could try ad approach with it.

-the Hierophant, the figures before the central figure, I was thinking of using the facial (not shown) expressions to indicate state of mind that belies the body. But I'll work those kinks out. Again, I dont like the approach but I do like the idea that backs it up. As for the sexual overtures, I didn't think it was a big deal. I was thinking of challenging the idea of conventionalism by providing it in what seems to be a comfortable setting. But its another design issue i'll deal with.

-I like the suggestion of wildness, but I felt that card also needed some restraint and control. As if the prerogative is power absolute of strength that is used to 'tame' chaos. Like using power to contain power. Imposing self restricted order. Or something *haha* to that effect. But I'll look into more Horn curls and designs :)

---((added later))--

IRONSKYFALLING

http://darkling_raven0010.tripod.com/

Above link is the sketch site on a Tripod Lycos host. =^.^=

=========================================

I'm not a serious artist or anything.
Its just something I felt I should do. Expressing myself and the relationsihp of the impressions in the cards. *shrugs*
but thanks anyways :) ...

darkling_raven

UPDATE!

The original site now has a page 2 of updates.
Pages 1 and 2 respectively.

http://www.geocities.com/darkling_raven001/
http://www.geocities.com/darkling_raven001/index2.htm

On an alternate site:
For those who cant access Geocities. Pages 1 & 2 respectively.

http://darkling_raven0010.tripod.com/index.htm
http://darkling_raven0010.tripod.com/index2.htm

Though its not positive spin on things, I am am beginning to get a little disheartened. I see so many (through this form alone =^.^=) grand & great designs and decks. Many professional (if not then it is professionally done and very well too :) ... having no professional background myself, makes me feel a little 'out of league'.

Maybe I'll stick to something more 'oracle' ... *shrugs*
Or just maybe I'm undertaking something thats just a bit too great for myself right now. I dont even have any idea how to print them :) much less tranfer me art to a more printable medium.
I was actually thinking of printing it on paper *haha* and sticking them on cardboard ... and designing the back of the cardboard and stick a design on the back too. *haha* ... *sigh*

Or mabe I'm just a little frustrated that I have to go back to school now :( and that my holidays are over.

Yinn

baba-prague

Re: UPDATE!

darkling_raven said:
I am am beginning to get a little disheartened. .. having no professional background myself, makes me feel a little 'out of league'.

Don't be disheartened. One reason for doing a deck is first and foremost for yourself, don't worry too much about how it compares with others, or how people react. If it's something you want to do - just go ahead. The main thing is your own experience and satisfaction in doing it.

Astra

I think I may have been lucky that I didn't start looking all that much at other decks until mine was nearly finished. I'm starting another one, and have decided that I'll only browse decks that are very different in concept (well, I can try) until I've got the majority of the work finished.

One thing I know is that trying to compare your work with other people's while you're doing it can mess everything up - especially if it's close in concept, because you can lose the direction you have among other similar work.

Trust your own style and conception, and keep going. (Long breaks are legitimate).

HudsonGray

I agree, keep going. YOUR deck is part of your own cosmos, not part of any other deck on the market. It should always be looked at as a separate entity by you. Keep on going, keep running off sketches till you get what you like. Start on a different card if you're stuck on the present ones. Or work on backgrounds, or research hand positions in magazines & ads. Get the people in your mind's eye & have them move around so you see different poses & pick the ones you like best. If you don't want full frontal faces, think 3/4 view, downward tilts, upward tilts, head tilt off the vertical, anything to be different & get a nice feel.

Marie

Hi Yinn,

Don't be disheartened! Your sketches are very nice and a lot better than a lot of professionals. They have a nice life to them. You must know that many professionals who acheive realism or something close to it don't sketch like you do, they paint images taken from photographs of models. (some can sketch beautifully but just don't have time).

Believe me, the frstration doesn't end or get better as you get deeper into the deck, but that is one of the challenges, and once overcome you will feel very satisfied and proud of yourself! It is a big difficlt project, but it is worth it. Just in what you learn about tarot and yourself in the process is worth it, any kind of publishing is just icing on the cake.

If I may make one suggestion, it would be to wait until you have finished paintings and got them just how you want them before you invite critiques. I only say this becase everyone envisions things differently and you are the artist and it is your vision that you must stick to and render. People are free to like and dislike it when it is done, and those opinions are so valuable, but don't let opinions undermine your self confidence as you try to distill your image from head to paper.

As far as consistency, I think as you work on so many paintings patterns will naturally emerge and the deck will be coherant, as long as yo give it all equal weight and importance.

Medium: My personal theory was to do the very best job I could do, and so I picked the medium I was very best at. Not always the most convenient, easy, quick, or even reproducable, but a way can be found, at the very least just about anything can be photographed and then maniplated for printing on a computer. Simply do yor best job.

Good luck to you!
Marie, mary-el tarot

Chronata

Please don't be disheartened!

I think I understand how you feel...I too, was a little disheartened comparing myself with all the amazingly beautiful and professional decks being designed by members here and elsewhere.

But your work is very nice, (what I have seen so far), and is very personal, I can tell. You don't need to compare yourself to others.

Just don't give up on it! Keep going...and worry about all the print stuff after you are done with the originals!

Although...I admit that taking a break from the tarot to make an oracle deck can be a good thing...(it's what I'm doing now)It's very freeing to work on something that doesn't have so much history and expectations in it. An oracle is a lot easier to do, and can have as many cards as you want.

Just...please don't give up on your tarot ideas! I really like your style, and I look forward to seeing more!

Major Tom

Marie said:
Just in what you learn about tarot and yourself in the process is worth it, any kind of publishing is just icing on the cake.

If I may make one suggestion, it would be to wait until you have finished paintings and got them just how you want them before you invite critiques.

My friend Marie has got it right here. Hang in there. It is well worth the effort.

Your sketches are very good. :)

darkling_raven

Renovation

I've decided to head into a totally self encompassing direction.

I'm totally creating the deck for myself and a few personal readings between friends ... but mostly for self exploration.

Oh yeah ... and its an oracle deck. -^.^=

http://www.geocities.com/darkling_raven001/

Its actually becoming more personal now.
Almost complete too. I would say the pencilling is ALL done, I'm just trying to decide a medium, coz monochromatic would do nicely (black white schematic) but wth a touch of colour (highlights). I'll have to see what appeals to the cards and myself. Maybe black and white inks ???

If you wanna check out my colouring technique: here's one exmaple but its fully computer coloured.

http://www.geocities.com/darkling_raven001/images/sorcerer.jpg

Thanx for all your help and support,

Yinn.
ps: I hope the closeup's don't detract from the whole card as a style coz I got a little frightened by all the discussion on copyright and stolen stuff. So I only posted snippet close-ups of each card.

Major Tom

Re: Renovation

darkling_raven said:
Oh yeah ... and its an oracle deck. -^.^=

It looks a bit like tarot to me. :laugh:

Nice drawings. Couldn't you just reduce the resolution and show the whole thing?

The link to the one that's coloured in didn't work for me.