reading cloths: materiality&protection?

karlwb

One more thing. I like using several layers of cloth at my home station. Seems like I can handle cards better on a cushioned surface than a hard one.

mothcloth

Tell me about it! I love their "stars and moons" one and also the zodiac one, but I keep them in vaccum sealed plastic packs because if I take them out they suck white dog and cats hairs out of the stratosphere.

i just had this image of somebody preparing a reading on one of these cloths and very casually setting down a reading candle, some crystals and a lint roller, haha. x)

nisaba

do you read with a reading cloth/mat?

Not really. It's a mere tablecloth. I don't infuse it with any weird mystical powers.

if so, what kind of fabric/pattern are you currently rocking?
Currently, I'm favouring a blue-and-black sarong. Previously I favoured a rainbow sarong, but a client put a bleeding pen on it, and I can't get the stain out, even after years. :(

what makes a 'good' reading cloth in your opinion?

Large enough to cover the table, heavy enough not to get displaced and messed up by picking up and putting down cards.

do you use different ones for different occasions/spreads?
No.

is your set-up completely different?
what kind of material do you use for your cards?
wood? glass? plain table?

For impromptu readings, I'll just lay my cards out wherever. Café tables. Next to me on the seat of a bus. I once got the labour costs of installing a new radiator in my car written off completely for throwing a few cards around on the dusty bonnet of a car in my mechanic's workshop. Tarot works, and it works anywhere. Dressing up my working table is for the clients' benefit, not for mine or the cards'.

nisaba

A while ago, I came across a nicely sized, metre-squared piece of old green, hemmed corduroy on the flea market for 3 euros. Really nothing special but I thought "ooh, that'll be practical" and bought it and, honestly, it is my go-to spead cloth. It's the one I use all the time. It's unintrusive, hard-wearing, cards lie well on it, it's a very neutral colour with lovely thick texture.
And that's all you need. :)

I have all these lovely rich brocaded and silk ones but I just keep going back to the basic green corduroy. I love it!

But still I keep buying others; vintage silk scarves are a favourite.

You know what? In your Tarot room, you could have Tarot prints under glass ... and cloths hung from the walls! I have a friend who collects but doesn't wear scarfs, and has them all looped over a varnished but natural-look bough of a tree running along the wall to show off their different fabrics.

nisaba

but I keep them in vaccum sealed plastic packs because if I take them out they suck white dog and cats hairs out of the stratosphere.

<laughter>

Oh, le Fanu, I've missed you!

littlethings

I almost always use a reading cloth. My favorite is my newest one, which is actually a placemat I got from the Disney store. It has the characters from the Haunted Mansion ride on one side and the purple wallpaper from the ride on the other.

Calcifer

Each of my decks is in a silk bag (from Tarototes), and folded up in each one is a 17" silk pocket square that I got from Royal Silks (most are black, but I have other colors as well). Perfect for 3 to 5 card readings. Often I'll put the silk square on a large piece of chamois - if I'm reading outside, to protect it from the ground.
If I'm really getting into it though, I'll put the silk square on a beautiful reading cloth I got from our Sulis.... large, purple silk on one side, and black on the other. I LOVE that thing.
After many years of reading on anything and everything (ala Nisaba), I find the concept of a reading cloth to be a very nice refinement and I'm completely hooked on it :)

Michael

lark

Each of my decks is in a silk bag (from Tarototes), and folded up in each one is a 17" silk pocket square that I got from Royal Silks (most are black, but I have other colors as well). Perfect for 3 to 5 card readings. Often I'll put the silk square on a large piece of chamois - if I'm reading outside, to protect it from the ground.
If I'm really getting into it though, I'll put the silk square on a beautiful reading cloth I got from our Sulis.... large, purple silk on one side, and black on the other. I LOVE that thing.
After many years of reading on anything and everything (ala Nisaba), I find the concept of a reading cloth to be a very nice refinement and I'm completely hooked on it :)

Michael
What a wonderful site for silk ...thanks!
http://royalsilkusa.com/silk-pocket-squares.html

What kind did you buy..I like the look of the crepe silk.

Calcifer

Most are plain black squares, a few are assorted solid colors, and one is an iridescent two toned one...
M

SunChariot

hello!

i haven't found a thread dedicated to talking about reading cloths/mats, so i figured i would make one :)

a couple of questions to get this thing going:

do you read with a reading cloth/mat?
if so, what kind of fabric/pattern are you currently rocking?
what makes a 'good' reading cloth in your opinion?
do you use different ones for different occasions/spreads?

or

is your set-up completely different?
what kind of material do you use for your cards?
wood? glass? plain table?

-

personally, i'm still experimenting what is best for me and i'd be delighted to hear about your preferences :)

Interesting question. :grin:

I want to start out as saying I do not read in person. I do my readings only via e-mail. And basically sitting cross legged on my bed with my laptop in front of me

Yes, I do use readings cloths though, as it feels a bit disrespectful to me to just plop the cards down just where I sleep. LOL'

I could not even begin to tell you what materials my cloths are made of. I have had them for years and have no idea now. But what makes a good cloth to me is made up of two things. It has to set a mood. Some of mine have the words "hope", "joy" and "believe" in them. Others have chinese symbols for good luck on them. Warm colours. I want cloths that inspire. To inspire the reader and to feel good to me. If I am looking at something pretty, I feel more relaxed. If I feel more relaxed the reading will be better.

Next I have a number of cloths, sometimes I even use pretty scarves that I have as well. I like to match the colour of the cloth I use that day to the major colours in the deck. It has to look good together. I will not likely use a purple cloth, for example with a deck that is predominantly orange. I would more likely choose my copper coloured one. I like to try to create a feeling of harmony and continuity through the colours, if you know what I mean.

What makes a good reading cloth in my opinion is what feels good to YOU. When you see it with the cards you take a deep breath and say WOW they just look so beautiful together. Then you feel all relaxed inside and your readings go better because of it. Whatever feels inspirational to you and whatever you believe may feel that way to the querent.

As an e-mail reader I do photograph the cards on the cloth and send them with the reading. I want it all to look attractive as the querent may print and keep that reading for years or even decades.

So the place I read is on my bed. It's a place of relaxation for me, that relaxing helps readings. The cloth, just whatever looks good and pretty and inspires you and that you feel might be inspirational in some way to the querent.

I don't use spreads at all, so that has no effect in the equation.

But I might, for example, choose a cloth to suit the reading. Eg IF the querent asked how they can increase their faith and belief in life, that could inspire me to use my cloth that says "belief" and "faith" written on it. To help them in some way with the topic.

Babs