reading cloths: materiality&protection?

Scarlet Woodland

I also have a question: for anyone who has made cloths from velvet or similar fabrics, have you ever had like...little bits of the velvety parts cover your cards? Like little fuzzies that stick to the cards and take forever to get off? I have a bag that does that, so I don't really use it very much, but I'm not sure if it's just specific the fabric or what. I wouldn't want a cloth I buy or make to do that, it's really annoying. Would lining a velvet fabric help?

This might sound overly simplistic, but if you haven't already (and they're not silk obv) give them a gentle wash or two. Should take care of the fuzzies as long as it's not raw edges causing the prob :) Hand washing would do the trick if you're nervous about using the machine. I had a nap under a length of new velvet once as it was cosy and close to hand... still haven't got all the scarlet fluff off my black skinny jeans :D I always wash them first now.

I mostly still use the plain, black silk cloth I bought for my first deck. Generally I try to use something subtle but there's the odd deck that loves my crazy emerald/purple/pink/yellow etc. etc. paisley silk scarf. The shadowscapes looks gorgeous against it. Do like a bit of silk... not for any supposed mystical properties, it just feels delicious and the cards glide nicely on it without slipping like mad as they can on satin.

Do plan to make a proper, thick, hand quilted one at some point when I have some time off and inspiration strikes... have the perfect fabrics all ready for a Wild Unknown one :)

Le Fanu

There was a great thread here with people listing their spread cloth collections. Mine has grown since then but and I just keep going on adding to it.

I have dozens. A while ago, I came across a nicely sized, metre-squared piece of old green, hemmed corduroy on the flea market for 3 euros. Really nothing special but I thought "ooh, that'll be practical" and bought it and, honestly, it is my go-to spead cloth. It's the one I use all the time. It's unintrusive, hard-wearing, cards lie well on it, it's a very neutral colour with lovely thick texture. I have all these lovely rich brocaded and silk ones but I just keep going back to the basic green corduroy. I love it!

But still I keep buying others; vintage silk scarves are a favourite. I've got some lovely 70s Pucci-style ones for the Hoi Polloi and Morgan Greer and Aquarian. But silk is not so easy to life cards off. Corduroy's the best! :thumbsup:

HallowedNight

This might sound overly simplistic, but if you haven't already (and they're not silk obv) give them a gentle wash or two. Should take care of the fuzzies as long as it's not raw edges causing the prob :) Hand washing would do the trick if you're nervous about using the machine. I had a nap under a length of new velvet once as it was cosy and close to hand... still haven't got all the scarlet fluff off my black skinny jeans :D I always wash them first now.

That's a great idea! Thanks so much! I should do that, it'd probably help a lot. c:

Shade

I just recorded a podcast episode about this very topic : )

I always use a reading cloth (not doing so feels wrong at this point)
I'm pretty strict about reading cloths:

Fabric has to be heavy enough it doesn't grab when I pick up the cards
Fabric has to be dark
I try to avoid patterns in general but will go with a simple one

When I read at parties I festoon the whole space and my reading table with attractive scarves and whatnot but I place this more rigid triquetra altar cloth over the cards have a nice flat place to be laid out on: http://bit.ly/1FsshqM

For when I'm out and abut I have a favorite dark blue scarf I wear that is something like 55% acrylic and 45% rayon - unnatural as hell but soft and it weighs enough that it stays put.

I have always admired but never purchased the cloths on Tarot Totes.

mothcloth

There was a great thread here with people listing their spread cloth collections. Mine has grown since then but and I just keep going on adding to it.

[...]

ooh, thank you for linking this thread!!

MissChiff

I have two of the Lo Scarabeo cloths... But they pick up hair out of nowhere.....

Nemia

I found a black Indian cloth with embroidery and little mirrors ... really beautiful and just the right size. I cover my card basket with it and use it as spread cloth.

I made two years ago a number of spread maps - I used large colorful calendar pages that I covered with gold colour except for the places where the cards belong. I did that for some of my trusted and most often used spreads. Turned out quite nice - but I still prefer the spread cloth... the black color just makes the cards pop visually.

Dara

When I go out with a tarot deck, I bring a large heavy banquet napkin that I dyed grey and use that as my tarot cloth. Works great.

At home, my desk is covered with two large black playmats ( http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/150984 ) that is typically used by card gamers to protect their cards. They come in many colors and fantasy artwork if you like that kind of thing. But a plain black works great without being distracting to the cards. They are essentially massive mousepads. They have rubberized backs to grip to the surface so it doesn't slide around. The surface is smooth and easy to pick up cards off of. If you have an area in your house dedicated to reading tarot, it might be worthwhile to get one of these. You can find them on Amazon or eBay as "playmat".

mothcloth

thank you to everyone for sharing your setups and giving me ideas on what to look for, i really appreciate it :)!

Le Fanu

I have two of the Lo Scarabeo cloths... But they pick up hair out of nowhere.....
Tell me about it! I love their "stars and moons" one and also the zodiac one, but I keep them in vaccum sealed plastic packs because if I take them out they suck white dog and cats hairs out of the stratosphere.