how do you approach reading about public figures/events?

CrystalSeas

Well, you have to admit that a stranger looking into my house with their telescope is *against the law* and a clear breach of privacy.

In many places it is not. If it can be photographed from a public sidewalk, there is no expectation of privacy. You may want to double check with your police department, because you may be very surprised what is legal.

For me, taking snapshots from the sidewalk into someone's house is the same as doing a reading they don't know about to find out their feelings and thoughts. It's all legal; it's all public; but it's a little sleazy and creepy nonetheless

What's different with these questions that make them acceptable,
There isn't, which is why many Tarot readers will not do 3rd party readings.

Just like some people will take pictures through your windows while walking down the street, other people will ask Tarot readers to look into your mind and feelings. It doesn't matter to them whether or not you 'verify' the reading. They can use that information any way they like, just as the photographer can share the picture with anyone they want to.

nuttyprofessor

I don't understand that metaphor with the camera. We know that the camera is doing its job, because we invested money in it.

But what do we know about tarot? I do believe that tarot can be magic in a live setting, but I am still not sure whether it works at a distance, for another party, let alone at a distance and for another party.

It seems to me that you are intentionally making the whole thing sensational.

euripides

I don't understand that metaphor with the camera. We know that the camera is doing its job, because we invested money in it.

But what do we know about tarot? I do believe that tarot can be magic in a live setting, but I am still not sure whether it works at a distance, for another party, let alone at a distance and for another party.

It seems to me that you are intentionally making the whole thing sensational.

If you don't believe it works, then why bother? If you do, then you need to be realistic about the consequences.

I want to reiterate my point about celebrities being real people. I've often seen them respond unexpectedly to random threads on blogs or on social media. Imagine "Will Actress X be the next SuperChick? No! Actress Z is going to land that role". Harmless enough. Celeb X reads it. She's a little older than Hollywood would like, and going into her next audition, that Tarot reading - even though she swears she doesn't believe it - flits through the back of her mind. It's a tiny thing, but on top of all the other stresses, it adds a note of uncertainty and a furrow in her brow. She doesn't get the job.

"Is the rumor about A's husband and B true? Yes, says the cards." Now A would normally never get her cards read - Her mother had a bit of the second sight, and her predictions were unnervingly accurate. She prefers not to know. She stumbles across the reading. Most hollywood gossip she ignores, but this is Tarot. It's even one of the decks her mother read. Hairs prickle on the back of her neck. She confronts B about it. B is horrified. She's not having an affair, but how could she accuse her of such a thing, believe the gossip? They never speak again.

Tarot isn't trivial. Gossiping about other people's lives, in any form, whoever they are, isn't trivial.

Nemia

I'm with Nisaba and Euripides. Some time ago, here on AT was a reading about Prince Harry and his girlfriend. It made me feel really, really uncomfortable. They are people, they suffer intrusions into their private life all the time (does Prince Harry have a private life at all?), and then here he's treated like a fictive figure. I didn't want to be the nagging old aunt so I said nothing but I don't think the tarot should be used to spy or speculate. Neither on your ex nor on Prince Harry or anyone else.

It's sad that tarot readers who should have high sensibilities for the needs of others seem to forget their empathy for their subjects so much.

Fortunately, I believe, everybody has defenses and such readings don't have much value IMO. I don't think the cards reward disrespect or idle curiosity.

I feel that the most appropriate way to use tarot is to learn more about ourselves and get advice on how to act to change what we don't like in our lives. How does a reading about an unknown person's love life in any way further my understanding of myself or the options I have?

The longer I'm around here and see the waves of "does X think I'm sexy?" or "what's happening between Y and Z?" readings, the stronger I feel that this is not a good, constructive or ethical way to use tarot. Prying into the inner world of others is wrong, no matter what tool you use.

ETA: I do think readings about political events or developments are okay because they are part of all our lives. It's only the intrusive readings about others that have no relevance for our own lives that I frown upon ;-)

Sorry to be the grumpy old beast.

Alta

I cannot express this as well as others but I also find reading about the emotions or doings of others, whether celebrity or not, to be disturbing and intrusive. Like Nemia I feel that the tarot is a wonderful tool with which we can make ourselves and those who ask better in some way, more comprehensive, and that will be the small help to a better world which is all that most of us can do. I understand that others have other thoughts and that's fine.

DownUnderNZer

I think when you become a "Public Figure" whether a Hollywood star, Royalty, Rock star, or Politician etc - any privacy is naturally lost no matter what. That person comes under a magnifying glass via Social Media and especially when HOT off the press.

I think as long as a "reader" uses her/his head then so be it, but I do kind of agree that wanting to know if X is having an affair or if Y is going to divorce is not really anyone's business.

Now, the ones that really really know these Celebrities inside and out would be their domestic staff, drivers, chefs, and nannies besides family and friends, but usually "contracts of silence" are signed when employed.

I knew Sarah Fergusson's ex nanny when I lived in London (UK) and even met John Taylor's nanny and his daughter Beady at Movenpick in Bayswater. Gossip and inside information did pass hands I can tell you, but I never repeated it. Also, saw Harry and William playing on their bikes in the garden area near the front gate of Kensington as kids. My friend lived directly across the road. Surely I can read about them if I wanted as it is not like I have not seen them up, close, and personal?

Taylor's marriage was on the rocks back then and they split not long after (I already knew due to his nanny) and as for Fergie...wow oh wow...not a woman one would want as a boss!. Hell on fire with a temper to match.

I never signed an agreement, but I never told anyone anything either.

Common sense I reckon.

I did see Mariah Carey's palm once when I met her and I asked her if I could actually take a look - saw her relationship and separation. Never told anyone except my sisters (I think) - never told her. I was curious just to see the lines and if she would have the one that meant FAMOUS.

When a person is a "Celebrity" they become a "Public figure" and therefore lose their "privacy" to an extent. I think it is fine to read on them as long as no one is being slandered, defamed, and/or the questions asked are not wayyyyyy too personal.

Discretion, a level head, and consideration is a must regardless of who is being read.

DND :)

gregory

My first question actually would be - what FOR ? Leaving aside whether it is any of our business, what possible interest do we have in whether Harry loves whatever that lovely girl's name is ? How does it possibly affect us.
Reminds me of getting a new camera with a good telephoto lens and walking around the neighborhood seeing how good you are a photographing people inside their houses. Just learning to use my new lens, just for my own entertainment.

It may not be illegal but it sure isn't nice.
I agree entirely.
So this is key. If you think that Tarot can show you something real about a person, then you have zero right to use it to ask about their private lives. Just don't. Regardless of what other people do. We have to act with integrity.
And with this.
Things like 'what will the popular reception be to the movie', that might be reasonable to ask.
But that isn't personal in any way - it's about a movie, not a person.
Sorry, no matter which way I look at it, I just can't see it as right to read for someone who hasn't asked you to.
Nor can I.
Besides that, people talk about other people behind their backs all the time, for all kinds of reasons, some justified, others not so much. It's often the reason people go get a reading:

* Will he be coming back?
* is she cheating on me?
* is so and so interested in me?
* is my business partner doing drugs?

What's different with these questions that make them acceptable, but it's a breach of privacy asking if Brad and Angelina will be getting back together?
Because the Brangelina question has NOTHING to do with us or with anyone we know; it will not in ANY way affect us and it is therefore TOTALLY none of our business.

In fact I don't find the examples you have given as OK either, but at least they have something to do with your life.
In many places it is not. If it can be photographed from a public sidewalk, there is no expectation of privacy. You may want to double check with your police department, because you may be very surprised what is legal.

For me, taking snapshots from the sidewalk into someone's house is the same as doing a reading they don't know about to find out their feelings and thoughts. It's all legal; it's all public; but it's a little sleazy and creepy nonetheless

There isn't, which is why many Tarot readers will not do 3rd party readings.
I am one of those people.
Just like some people will take pictures through your windows while walking down the street, other people will ask Tarot readers to look into your mind and feelings. It doesn't matter to them whether or not you 'verify' the reading. They can use that information any way they like, just as the photographer can share the picture with anyone they want to.
I've even SEEN rubbish on line about this kind of thing. "Well, my cards tell me that the queen is actually dying" was one.... About 8 years ago. It even made it into National Enquirer (no I do NOT buy that rag; it was the headline when I was at the checkout ! and some people were actually WORRYING out loud :bugeyed:) And clearly the reading was a mite off... :D
If you don't believe it works, then why bother? If you do, then you need to be realistic about the consequences.

I want to reiterate my point about celebrities being real people. I've often seen them respond unexpectedly to random threads on blogs or on social media. Imagine "Will Actress X be the next SuperChick? No! Actress Z is going to land that role". Harmless enough. Celeb X reads it. She's a little older than Hollywood would like, and going into her next audition, that Tarot reading - even though she swears she doesn't believe it - flits through the back of her mind. It's a tiny thing, but on top of all the other stresses, it adds a note of uncertainty and a furrow in her brow. She doesn't get the job.

"Is the rumor about A's husband and B true? Yes, says the cards." Now A would normally never get her cards read - Her mother had a bit of the second sight, and her predictions were unnervingly accurate. She prefers not to know. She stumbles across the reading. Most hollywood gossip she ignores, but this is Tarot. It's even one of the decks her mother read. Hairs prickle on the back of her neck. She confronts B about it. B is horrified. She's not having an affair, but how could she accuse her of such a thing, believe the gossip? They never speak again.

Tarot isn't trivial. Gossiping about other people's lives, in any form, whoever they are, isn't trivial.
Yes yes yes.

I cannot express this as well as others but I also find reading about the emotions or doings of others, whether celebrity or not, to be disturbing and intrusive. Like Nemia I feel that the tarot is a wonderful tool with which we can make ourselves and those who ask better in some way, more comprehensive, and that will be the small help to a better world which is all that most of us can do. I understand that others have other thoughts and that's fine.
And yes to this too. I realise others disagree with me - just as people disagree with me about whether it is or isn't OK to go after someone else's partner and suchlike. We all have our own ethics, and mine do not allow of reading for others (or on others) without their consent. But what is SO odd about this one, what baffles me about the question in the first place, is why anyone would want to read at all on celebrities etc. What's the POINT ?

nuttyprofessor

I think you really should try your tarot divination skills on celebrities.

First of all, they chose with all their hearts for a life in the limelight, because most of them crave to be rich and famous (drug use not mentioning). They tread a life that is contra-spiritual, which should be discouraged. Also in the case of royals, because they artificially misrepresent tarot archetypes.
Secondly, it's an excellent way to check the validity of your skills in case truths about their lifes are revealed by the media. If you are right, it will be a tremendous boost to your confidence.
Thirdly and most importantly, if you are right and made your insights public, the art of tarot will rise in esteem.

I suggest to create a thread named "celebrity gossip", in which people can compare their findings, which will add a competitive fun element.

HOLMES

some good points

First of all, they chose with all their hearts for a life in the limelight, because most of them crave to be rich and famous (drug use not mentioning).

the only thing I would add here not all celerities choose with all hearts to be in the limelight,, some of them get thrusted into the light due to having famous parents, famous spouses. or perhaps just get into movies for the love of acting and not so much wanting people to adore them.
examples ,
Rowan Atkinson loves his privacy about his home life, etc and so will avoid parts that may bring that out.
steve martin love his privacy so will ignore people when he is in the park excerising.
I guess not every celebrity is like bill murray , and I think bill murray is a sort of a recluse so when he does stuff it is on his terms.
I think people who grew up in with famous parents sooner or later end up with their pictures in the paper, that most celebrities parents try to shelter their little ones from the media.

oh let us not forget the child actors who just figured it would be fun to act in a movie and how their lives go downhill for the fame put on them. and as they grow older they have to adapt to perhaps that adoration gone as they out grow parts.

but going back to the topic , I would pick then a celebrity who is very socially media open , like good old blake Shelton making tweets when he is drunk eheh .

and it could be a learning experience. I guess it would depend on what you are wanting to learn, and how much the celebrity has a connection to you.

I guess I have an illusionary relationship to old clint eastwood having watched him my whole life so I would ask "how many more movies would he direct. , or perhaps "will he ever star in a movie again before he croaks ".
is there really anyting wrong with that. ?

the second part of the question is how much do you share it for me that is the real question..

I think though subforum if people really start doing readings on celebrities, public events, would have to have some guidelines talked about.

so if we went that route,, we would be no longer talking about ethics and personal takes, but how we conduct ourselves on atf, and keeping to the high values the sites tries to enstill in its readers as they practice.

edited to add
I will go post this question for astrology in the astrology forum, as there are lots of charts of famous people online.

gregory

I just hate gossip. All those silly magazines with yes they are together, no she had someone else's baby no she didn't yes she did.

It's all so SILLY. Leaving aside the ethics. You only need to look at the number of celebrities who come out and tell us (their now selves) how the nonsense like this has driven them nuts. They are human too. How would we like our lives all over the tabloids ? But if they weren't the people they are thing of all the movies, books, shows we wouldn't have. If we don't leave them alone, they might just pack it all in.

Reading about them/for them (and it sure isn't FOR them - they will never hear what you say) contributes to that. Tacky.