Reading Cloths for the Season upon Us

Holly doll

It does have a little stretch. It's actually kind of slinky feeling. It will lay flat on the table.

I have a cotton reversible cloth, and I've tried to iron out the creases but they won't come out.

Trying ironing it while it's still damp, that may fix the creasing...

greatdane

I wound up taking this finicky but lovely velvet cloth

to a dry cleaners....that was what finally got my velvet cloth (the black velvet one I have that's smooth) to lose a crease I couldn't get out.

Padma

So this is my Russian gypsy reading cloth. A nice heavy gage cotton with great fringe work! lol! This is the one I have that made me think of Disa's one for her Buckland R deck.

I didn't bother to take pics of the pashminas, as they are all just solid colour with no pattern. But I have them in most colours.

Ugh - I took a very blurry pic! loL! Removed it and will post one again in a sec - ETA There! This pic is much better!

Attachments

• IMG01614-20131001-1929.jpg
    IMG01614-20131001-1929.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 138

greatdane

oooh lovely Lotus Padma

May I ask what that is in the top right corner?

nisaba

Cloths?

Tablecloth, if there is one. If not, the surface of the table.

I like to wrap favourites in large squares of tie-dyed watered-silk, but it's not compulsory. :)

tarotbear

Not a good picture - about 10 years old. A square of a mottled, spattered blue cloth with purple and blue spatters, sewn in silver thread. I'll try to take a better picture tomorrow in the light...provided I can figure out where it is now that I moved .... :confused:

Attachments

• spread cloth.jpg
    spread cloth.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 130

Padma

It's nice, TB - looks like the cosmos ;)

tarotbear

It was actually yardage! It would have made some interesting things! But when I found it there was only a remnant, so I squared it off and sewed the hem in silver thread.

This picture of it in my booth isn't much better..

Attachments

• Booth B 600.jpg
    Booth B 600.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 147

Madame Squee

My favorite reading cloth is a cotton reading quilt.

They stay put, and they are easy to care for: washing machine and dryer.

Plus, every cotton reading quilt develops its own character and texture over time -- just like the cards.

I like to put a pattern on one side of the quilt and a solid color on the other side. Then, I lay the cards on the solid side, so that the pattern doesn't compete with them.

I've only recently learned how to apply a binding to a quilt. Previously, the raw edges have been fending for themselves, which has actually worked out quite well. There's a picture of one below, which I've been using for about a year. It has been machine washed and dried about a dozen times.

Attachments

• Quilt small pattern with cards.jpg
    Quilt small pattern with cards.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Quilt pattern and solid sides.jpg
    Quilt pattern and solid sides.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Quilt raw edges.jpg
    Quilt raw edges.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 103