What led you to tarot cards?

SerpentaAzothi

Hi for me I was 9 when I was interested in tarot cards, I was at a summer camp, and a camp counseler was using playing cards for fortune telling, I thought this was so cool, so later that year I got a book out at a library on tarot, and ended up with it, so from 9-10 I read the book over and over and at the age of 11 my sister for my b-day got me a rider waite tarot deck. I have loved it since and I am now 24. I practically have been using the tarot for over half of my life. Funny thing is I was obsessed when I was a child of tarot cards. That gave me a good skills in interpreting, constant practicing like its your life. I dont use as often as when I was a kid, but it surely helped in the long run. Anyway thats my story...:)

Serpenta

geministar

I have always been amazed by various spirituality topics and have had a couple of readings done, then a few years ago I started to get some oracles but my mum was the one that got me into tarot. She has been into tarot on and off for over 20 years and it was only a few months ago introduced me to this site which got me into tarot. I wish I got involved sooner!

longhair

I was led to tarot by an ex-g/f ,best part of the whole deal.I don't have her of coarse,but do now have several decks.And thru tarot I have gotten reconnected with myself and my true love who I walked away from before.

Wandlimb

A friend told me she was into Wicca, and I hadn't heard of it so I Googled it. That led me onto runes (I was always into Norse mythology anyway). I never thought about tarot though, until I went into my local New Age-y shop one day, about 4-5 years ago. By this time I was into crystals too, and they sold loads, so I was always in there! I saw the tarot card section and one pack leapt out at me. They had Riders, Old Path, Thoth, quite a lot, but the one that caught my eye was Northern Shadows. So I bought it and put it away in my room, and then pretty much forgot about it (I was ill at the time, on anti-depressants, so I guess it's not surprising). As I got better I got more into runes, astrology, etc. but never got round to tarot. Then about six months ago I just started looking at my deck again and got interested in trying to learn tarot. I started looking on the Internet for information, found this site and that was it! :)

Mitchichen

back in high school, i was always into reading about all kinds of things...i would sit in the school library for hours (it wasnt much of a library...it was mostly old text books...my personal library is more varied and it only has two book cases).

One day, i was at a friend's house and i was lookign at her books when she lent me an old book about how to interpret the tarot (one of the best books i ever saw even till now...i need to find it again) and i read it almost cover to cover.

A year or so later, i started studying different things about the occult (i was in a catholic high school...which in the philippines is very different from the "sterotypical" catholic school) and a friend gave me a floppy disk with anime pictures and such, and one folder had the majors of the RW deck.

fast forward to three months ago, when i started hanging out with a diverse, openminded group of people who were as interested in new ageish stuff as i was. I read something about reading the tarot to help see the possible karmic reprocussions of a spell befor you cast it, so i decided to find a Thoth deck (had been my fave since i read about it in highschool).

On a trip to half price books (my sanctuary lol) i saw a pastel colored box on one of the shelves and it drew me to it. It was a Tarot deck, one i had never seen before - the haindl. I picked it up and immediately started looking through the cards, counting them to make sure they were all there.

strangly enough, for two weeks i contemplated using this deck, since i didnt particularly find it all that impressive (just hard to read actually), but the deck wouldnt let go of me. On the day i decided to stick with the deck and use it as my medium, i found a thoth.

I've been happy with my Haindl ever since and have barely touched my thoth.

Emily

When I was around 11 I started to read playing cards, dice etc but I wanted to take it further. On a shopping trip with a friend, we were both 15, we got lost in the next town to mine and we found an occult shop in one of the backstreets - this was over 20 years ago and it wasn't New Age but an amazingly full and well stocked occult shop.

On the advice of the lady shop assistant I bought the 1JJ Swiss, there was a 22 Majors only 1JJ but I had the full deck. There were a couple of other decks there but I can't remember what they were. I do remember that this deck kept the smell of the incense they used in the shop for years.

I went back a second time for the book for the 1JJ Swiss and they offered me private tarot lessons but I thought I could do it without a mentor. The third time I went back and the shop had gone, all in the space of a few months. They suffered from alot of persecution and had closed down within a year of opening.

I never took to the 1JJ Swiss and wish now that I'd looked more carefully at the other decks they had. It was only a few years ago that I started my tarot journey again with the RWS, much easier this time round. :)

Sunburst

My mum was into astrology since I was about six... so I always did that. But it was my good friend, Lawguy51 (who is also here on AT) who introduced me to tarot.

Sunburst :)

Tabby

What got me into tarot?

We'll I've always had a fascination with psychics and the paranormal. And that type of stuff always intriqued me. I bought a Rider-Waite deck at a bookstore a long time ago. And I would pull out the deck every so often and do a layout that came with the cards. But, I didn't get more seriously involved with it until a couple of years ago.

Poetic_Pirate

its actually kinda odd for me..

i was born and raised as a devote catholic. i even went to the catholic school, but every time i went to church, i envisioned something else..a world of magik so to speak...its odd because i was doing "magik" since before i understood what it was. then as the years went on, i met a friend of my sisters named willow. he was my genious, so to speak. him and his long blonde hair seemed to know everything about the magik, it was amazing. he kept throughing around the idea of the tarot, talking about the cards, but never mentioned the name for it -tarot-, so i had little to no idea what he was talking about. eventually highschool came around, and i met this crazy guy. we became good friends and still are to this day. but one day i went to his house after school, and i met his brothers girlfriend. SHE was the one who finally told me, who showed me, who taught me what this tarot this was. shortly after that, my sister, who i thought was as catholic as my mom, gave me her tarot. it was perfect timing, like it was fated to happen. and from there, my interesting path with tarot cards began to evolve. it has been one hell of a ride so far, i hope it goes on for a LONG time ^_^

anonymous_artist

Natural curiosity. Had a loyal and trusted person read my Tarot for such a long time I decided to finally learn myself. Give me insight into my life and who I am and how I move through the world.