What led you to tarot cards?

WolfSpirit

What got me interested was a LeNormand deck a friend found in her second hand couch (that had belonged to an old lady). She started doing readings "just for fun, don't believe in it at all" and stopped when she got all negative cards that made her nervous (despite her nota believing in it ;) ) but my interest was awaken for the first time. It still took a long time before I got a tarot deck - I think because it was not so popular then and I knew noone into it. Looking back, I wish I had had a book or person that would have thought me to be creative and playful with the cards, like I prefer to use the cards now. I was so very serious and trying to get it right !

Orlando

Follow me...

What lead me down the twisting & turning path to Tarot land was my discovery of the Aquarian Deck when it originally appeared. I still love it from a purely artistic point of view, but it is a bit to 'light' in terms of its symbolism to be used for readings. Personal opinion only!

Baroli

What led me to Tarot?

Let's see I could give you a wonderful story of mystery and tragedy, but to tell you the truth, it was during the time of a rennaissance of occultism in the late 60's and 70's in the US. I was about 15 or 16 and a devoted watcher of and I know some of you will remember this soap "Dark Shadows". I loved the gypsy lady (oye what a stereotype) predicting everyone's death with cards, or using Tarot cards, or I-Ching being used. I thought it was too cool, so I went into a bookstore and bought a deck(RWS) with a paperback book by Eden Gray I think it was. I had no idea what I was doing. I had them with me in college doing readings etc. That's where I had the bad experience with the Ouija board. Then I put them aside for a bit, and started to work, about three 3years into my career, I took a vacation down to sunny Ft. Lauderdale Fla. where I came upon Sacred Rose, which I purchased, along with a book call "Tarot for Yourself." Again, I didn't know what I was doing. I put them aside one more time after finding religion,(I actually threw all my cards away, SHEESH!!). I made a friend in Germany who was a reader and gave me a reading with her LeNormand Oracle. That got me thinking, I ordered a RW deck and started reading again, but this time everything clicked. I think it was meant to be at this time, in this year, and finding this forum.

Baroli:love:

HearthCricket

Baroli52 said:
I was about 15 or 16 and a devoted watcher of and I know some of you will remember this soap "Dark Shadows". I loved the gypsy lady (oye what a stereotype) predicting everyone's death with cards, or using Tarot cards, or I-Ching being used.

Yes, Magda! I remember her, and the whole Dark Shadows gang. It was fun to see her whip out those cards, wasn't it?

Memories....like the corners of my mind....

RiverDaughter

well, i've always been kind of offhandedly interested in nature-based things and divinations. tarot was a particular interest, but I was never in a place where I could find out much, so I never really put much into it, until about a year ago I guess - I looked into getting a deck, couldn't afford it so I didn't, and let the matter drop again.

then tarot came up again on another forum that I'm on, and all the stuff I'd looked at came back and I started reading stuff about it online and wherever I could find things. and dug up an old deck that I got as a gift (a cheesy little one, I'm still waiting to be able to afford a better one).

maszat

For me it started a couple of years ago. At the time I was reading everything about spirituality and practised meditation on a regular basis. Then a friend of mine recommended a meditation course which of course I had to try and the teacher used tarot cards and even did a reading for me. That picked my interest and as I didn't know too much about tarot and went and bought the same deck that she used, however as I tried getting to know more about tarot I realised that it just wasn't working for me. I wasn't sure whether it was me or the deck but it lead me to give tarot a rest for a year or so.Then suddenly I had a real interest in it again. Found this site, realised that there were other decks than what I had and started the process again. But now thankfully I feel more confident and don't think that I will loose interest in it ever again. :)

coeur

I've always been interested in the paranormal and I chose to do a research project based off of divination and accuracy for a middle school English class. My first deck used (lent to me by a teacher) was actually the Thoth deck. Later on, someone gave me a deck of tarot cards. Finally I bought my very own Thoth deck and it's been smooth sailing since.

lucky star

This has brought back a happy memory actually because when I was 21 (I'm now 34) - I used to meet in my lunchbreak from work in the lcoal pub!! and I had a friend called Anna. She had a pack of Tarot cards one day (can't remember the actual pack) and done a few of us a quick reading. I was fascinated and wanted more, more, more, but with Anna - one reading and that was it!!! I never thought that much about the cards after that until a few years ago, browsing in a library and encountered some good books on the tarot - so rediscovered them!!

The happy memory of Anna - such a lovely woman - sadly, never kept in touch.

Bat Chicken

I had just come off a long illness in my twenties and a friend pulled out a Tarot deck - I don't even remember what it was. She did a wonderful reading on me and I never forgot it.

It was another 9 years and around the same time the illness returned, before another friend of mine lent me her Haindl deck and I began to look at tarot as something I could work with. I was hooked. I have since made it a large part of my life and it has influenced my spirituality. I purchased my own Haindl - the first deck I ever got in 2004. I have since become an avid collector and my main reading deck is my DruidCraft. It has become an excellent tool for healing and helped me come to terms with the changes I have had to face and how lucky I really am.

SunChariot

a broken heart.

It was not long after I lost the love of my life, for the second time. He had found me again 12 years after we had been forced to split up, and again circumstances made us do so.

I was pretty well trashed. I was online a lot on facade.com, just trying to find advice and some way or other to cope. I started using the online Rune readings there. Very often I kept getting the same Rune coming up saying I was "misunderstanding the will of G-d" on the issue. It came up often enough that it did not seem like coincidence and I knew something was wrong.

One day, when I was on that site there was an ad there for AT. I went there, read up a bit on Tarot, and checked out the decks.... Within a few hours I knew for sure that Tarot was something I needed to do in my life. Within a few days my first deck (the Haindl) was in the mail working its way to me.

And yes, the cards did show me why and how I was misunderstanding the will of G-d and much much much more. Not to mention how it helped heal all wounds etc..And I could not imagine what my life would be without them now. I would not want that to be my life, I want the life path Tarot has set me on. :grin:

Babs