The Psychometer/motor

Mycroft

Does anyone know if there's a homemade, easy to make version of a Psychometer?
I'd love to know if there's some easily constructable way to produce one of these. I have a couple of ideas, one of which involves an old Victorian Christmas decoration, but I have a feeling it would be way to heavy; and the other with a coat-hanger doesn't fill me with much optimism, so if anybody does have any ideas please let us know.
I'll even listen to that Top Gear performance as penance for mucking about your thread.
You seriously think you're getting off that lightly? Oh no, you're listening to this for a week;

peacewing

I have worked very successfully with sheet metal before. I imagine cutting out the spinning shape wouldn't be too hard. Just need to create a triangle, add the rod, weld.

Edit: I'm thinking in terms of metal, since metal appears to be one of those substances that takes kindly to the spirit...

Mycroft

I have worked very successfully with sheet metal before. I imagine cutting out the spinning shape wouldn't be too hard. Just need to create a triangle, add the rod, weld. I'm thinking in terms of metal, since metal appears to be one of those substances that takes kindly to the spirit...
I've been working on a far less ambitious version using paper and cardboard. So far it's not been very successful! Let us know how you get on and post some pictures please. I'll have to try again to get hold of some scans of the handbook, as I'm still not exactly sure how the Psychometer/motor is supposed to work, or where the 'Etheric Vortex' comes into it.

Mycroft

I've now got a scan of the handbook, which Brandon bravely risked the wrath of his wife to do for me - she was waiting for her dinner and was none too pleased at him scanning it, but it's always nice to know that a little suffering has gone into these things. Here are the title page, the apologia, and my favourite part so far, RULE 1, where we are warned that the Mystic Cross will lose rotation after a "night of perverted sexual indulgence" - so all you perverts out there (you know who you are) can forget about experiencing the etheric vortex.

Click on the small images below to go to the full-size ones;

upawell

I've been working on a far less ambitious version using paper and cardboard. So far it's not been very successful! Let us know how you get on and post some pictures please. I'll have to try again to get hold of some scans of the handbook, as I'm still not exactly sure how the Psychometer/motor is supposed to work, or where the 'Etheric Vortex' comes into it.

Let us have a look-see.

upawell

I've now got a scan of the handbook, which Brandon bravely risked the wrath of his wife to do for me - she was waiting for her dinner and was none too pleased at him scanning it, but it's always nice to know that a little suffering has gone into these things. Here are the title page, the apologia, and my favourite part so far, RULE 1, where we are warned that the Mystic Cross will lose rotation after a "night of perverted sexual indulgence" - so all you perverts out there (you know who you are) can forget about experiencing the etheric vortex.

Click on the small images below to go to the full-size ones;

Amazing. Thank you, Mycrofty.

Mycroft

Let us have a look-see.
Oh God! It went completely pear-shaped and ended up a total mess even before I tried putting it together. I think the modern phrase is EPIC FAIL! Here are some pictures of the top and bottom of the spinning piece which is just over 6cm in diameter and made of a very light metal, if anybody fancies having a go at making one.

Click Thumbs for Larger Size

Where have you and your pendulum being hiding then upawell?

GlitterNova

I think I've used something similar to this a long time ago. It was a pin held upright by a base of modeling clay, with a folded pyramid-shaped piece of paper balanced on top (like an umbrella). Putting your hands in an open cup shape around the paper and concentrating very hard, you could make the paper spin in different directions. It was quite a neat trick if I remember correctly.