Original Mythic Tarot

Thoughtful

The original Mythic was one of the first decks I bought upon my return to tarot in 2011 (right after that "other Abomination," the Tarot of Meditation). Before that, it was solely the Thoth for a couple of decades. I never did warm up to the Mythic, though, and shortly after I bought the Radiant RWS (my first one of those since 1972) so I was set with two of the three archetypal deck types (TdM came much later, as did my side-trip into Lenormand).

Maybe you did not warm to the Mythic so much because it appears to be quite subdued in it's colouring, and the artwork from what l have seen from the scans appears to be a little naïve, that's the appeal for me though, no CGI, no in your face here l am gloss. That's what appealed to me in the Roots of Asia. It's also what appeals to me with the 1JJ Swiss it's innocence and quirkiness. l tried the Lenormand but l could not get on with it for some reason, too much like hard work learning the system :laugh:

Barleywine

Maybe you did not warm to the Mythic so much because it appears to be quite subdued in it's colouring, and the artwork from what l have seen from the scans appears to be a little naïve, that's the appeal for me though, no CGI, no in your face here l am gloss. That's what appealed to me in the Roots of Asia. It's also what appeals to me with the 1JJ Swiss it's innocence and quirkiness. l tried the Lenormand but l could not get on with it for some reason, too much like hard work learning the system :laugh:

Actually, I think it was more the mythological angle. I have similar subdued decks that I like very much. The Greek and Roman mythology is not something I ever spent a lot of time absorbing, and I couldn't relate to it in a system of divination. On the other hand, I do appreciate decks designed around Celtic mythology. I should probably give it another chance at some point.

Lee

Maybe you did not warm to the Mythic so much because it appears to be quite subdued in it's colouring, and the artwork from what l have seen from the scans appears to be a little naïve [...]
The artwork certainly is naive but I have to disagree about the coloring being subdued. When looking at the actual cards, I find them to be vividly colored. Also, while naive in general appearance, the artwork isn't sketchy or rushed, in fact it's very finely done with lots of attention paid to textures, landscapes, and clouds.

Thoughtful

Thanks for that Lee it's making me really impatient to see them in person. As l have only seen the scans at the moment perhaps the scans have not done justice to the colouring. Also l have only seen a few of the cards, l am really looking forward to seeing the whole deck and seeing what you describe :)

Thoughtful

I should probably give it another chance at some point.

Maybe the Universe is giving you a prod as well :laugh:
I'm not into mythology per se but l am going to read the book and see how it explains the cards. l like the fact that they have a psychological angle as well which should prove interesting.

Thoughtful

They have arrived! they are the purple/navy 1986 edition so l am more than happy.
Just been going through the cards one by one. The High Priestess l particularly like, its the one card that has to be special for me.
Lee you are so right about the vibrant colouring, the scans did no justice to the beauty of the artwork, the colouring on the page of cups is wonderful.
Did have a smile at the Ace of Swords, Athene looks like she really means business with that two edged sword.
This Tarot for me will be alongside my Roots of Asia as being my two very special decks.
The book l found really absorbing hard to put down in fact, well written and informative.

All in all l feel truly blessed to have this well loved Tarot in my possession it could be gone forever (well at a price l could afford) and l would not have known the joy of it.

Always late to the party but get there in the end :laugh: with a little help from my friends.

Lee

I'm glad you like it! The Page of Wands is another particularly vivid card. The book is one of my very favorite tarot books, certainly one of the best (if not the best) deck-accompanying book ever published.

Thoughtful

l totally agree with you Lee about the book. This book is wonderful not only for the mythology it presents but also for the depth and explanation given in the interpretation of each card, l particularly like the psychology that comes into play. Its so readable l couldn't put it down.

Page of Wands what a lively colourful little fella he is. l am really enjoying getting to know this Tarot and all the wonderful characters within it.

Sar

I am so looking forward to this deck.

Starshower

Thank you for reminding me about the merits of this deck, Thoughtful & Lee.
I bought my copy years ago & had quite forgotten it. Now I intend to root it out again and enjoy. :)

(Like many others, I really disliked and couldn't buy the new 'version' which looks Disneyfied and cartoony / crass by comparison.)