Animal Totem Tarot...

Michellehihi

Oh, it's in stock now! (I've had it in my saved items for a while.) But there sure aren't many pics of the cards around.

I've been looking forward to it. Always on the search for the perfect animal deck.

I even typed up lists of cards/animals for the Animal Wisdom and Animism Tarots over the weekend in preparation for comparing with this one.

(Let me know if you want a copy of the lists. And I'll do one for Animal Totem when I get around to ordering it!)
Yes I would love to have that list, thank you for your offer!

Asher

My Animal Totem deck just arrived! I have had several animal decks over the years and none truly inspired or satisfied me.

But this one is outstanding!

First of all, the cards are borderless!! And the only titles are the names of the cards in a small banner at the bottom. (I have to admit there were several animals I was not familiar with, so I had to look them up in the book, which is very good as well). Eugene Smith's artwork is well served by the cards. The animals are in naturalistic poses and surroundings, not in human poses that other decks have used is the past. The pips are integrated nicely with the animal and its environment.

Leeza Robertson's book is a treasure trove of animal information and card meanings. The meanings are definitely RWS based and the animal choices have been carefully selected. Each card is illustrated with a full page black and white image. There is a channeled message from each animal and some general meanings. Leeza then offers meanings for three categories: Business and Career, Family and Relationships and Health and Well-Being. Also included are several writing prompts to encourage journaling and some lined pages for additional notes.

The cards sit in a cardboard well in the box, along with the book. It is a tight fit, though...it was a challenge to get the flap open without tearing it (typical Llewellyn box), and I didn't even try to put things back into the box. Fortunately, I recently got a beautiful bag for the deck to live in. And my one reservation has to do with the card stock...it seems a bit on the thin side, different from some of my other Llewellyn decks. Yet, after handling the deck for awhile, I think it will withstand careful shuffling. As always, YMMV.

I am looking forward to using this deck over the coming days and weeks. It has been quite a while since I got a new Tarot deck (I have been immersed in my work with Lenormand and Kipper cards). And I would recommend this deck to those who are looking for a well thought out animal deck that is attractive and easy to read.

WhiteWolfy

If someone could post some pictures of the cards that would be great :)

rachelcat

This just landed on my desk so I quickly typed up a list of the animals.

A few I've never heard of: echidna and raccoon dog, for example.
I was not able to identify by the picture the Tasmanian devil or the sugar glider.
But I did recognize the capybara! (The rodent of unusual size!)

Here's the list. I'll post the others for comparison later this evening. And some pictures if no one beats me to it!

Attachments

• Animal Totem Tarot.pdf
    18.6 KB · Views: 545

Obsydian

Thank you so much for that!
If there is a penguin I'm all in.
Now if only I'd get paid soon, it needs to be mine!

Michellehihi

If someone could post some pictures of the cards that would be great :)
I googled it and it is very hard to find pictures of this deck!
Those who have it, could you post some pictures?

rachelcat

Here are some (very poor) pics! I hope they help!

Attachments

• Animal Totem 1.jpg
    Animal Totem 1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 957
  • Animal Totem 2.jpg
    Animal Totem 2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 918
  • Animal Totem 3.jpg
    Animal Totem 3.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 954

WhiteWolfy

Thanks for doing the pics. Very nice, i like it!!

rachelcat

Here are the lists from other animal decks as promised.

I haven't read the Animal Totem book yet, but I'm still leaning toward Animal Wisdom as my favorite, simply because it seems to follow Golden Dawn ideas (ram for Aries for Emperor, etc.). And I like the titles for the majors (on the attached list).

I think Reincarnation has the best artwork (Audubon-style). On the other hand, it has a whole suit of bugs(!) and French suited minors. (I also don't know if it's available anymore, so sorry for any drive-by enabling if you can't find it!)

Animism's artwork is charming, and, like Animal Totem, the animals are more varied, not just fish for cups and birds for swords, etc.

(Also, I changed out the Animal Totem list in my post above because Priestess is called "Black Widow," and I had put plain old "Spider" by mistake.)

Attachments

• Animal Wisdom Tarot.pdf
    19.5 KB · Views: 411
  • Tarot of Reincarnation.pdf
    25 KB · Views: 260
  • Animism Tarot List.pdf
    19.1 KB · Views: 276