Seven of swords and dating?

CCTheGreat

Well, let's shake hands! We've just taught each other something ;) I love this forum...!

I was also, like Barleywine, thinking "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" and so this might be the tarot giving you advice on the situation - keep the one you already have, and lose the other one. Tarot can be very literal at times. :)

I actually had to look up that expression to get it's true meaning. Well the question becomes which one do I already "have"? Let me be clear nothing has happened at this point. One persued me in the past, I turned him down. He dated someone else who was also there last night (not currently together, not that I'm aware of) and we've been sort of in touch. The new guy is new, not really here for a long time (neither of them are, nor am I) and getting to know him is a slow process.

CCTheGreat

Yes. If it were a court or trump card I would probably see it as more interactive.

Yknow a new meaning occurred to me today. Maybe the card could serve as a reminder to look out for yourself. Persue your own interests but not in necessarily devious way but where you put yourself first. So for example networking to find another job where you're being treated well, or withdrawing from people that are bad for you?

Barleywine

Yknow a new meaning occurred to me today. Maybe the card could serve as a reminder to look out for yourself. Persue your own interests but not in necessarily devious way but where you put yourself first. So for example networking to find another job where you're being treated well, or withdrawing from people that are bad for you?

One time I had the notion that the thief had all he could carry, so he left the two swords sticking up in the ground as markers to find his way back and finish the job. It's a similar idea to the 7 of Pentacles as "unfinished business" but more along the line of insufficient foresight or inadequate preparation. From a mental perspective, it suggests being unsettled in your mind about your course of action.

nisaba

I once pulled this card for a relationship I was on the edge of starting.

They had told me that their neighbours were career-criminals, and I assumed that this was what the card was saying.

The first few weeks were bliss. Then the lying started, and went on for years, accelerating into all sorts of nasty stuff.

So heed the warning. I didn't, and I paid by trashing years of my life.

Laurelle

Yikes! Isn't that more of a two of swords?

Two of Swords is a stalemate. Nothing like the 7 of Swords. The woman is holding the swords against her heart and has made up her mind. Similar to the 4 of Pents, they aren't letting anyone get in.

CCTheGreat

One time I had the notion that the thief had all he could carry, so he left the two swords sticking up in the ground as markers to find his way back and finish the job. It's a similar idea to the 7 of Pentacles as "unfinished business" but more along the line of insufficient foresight or inadequate preparation. From a mental perspective, it suggests being unsettled in your mind about your course of action.

Firstly, thank you so much for your input it's been really helpful. I wanted to say that not only do I think this card is about my behaviour but it's advising me to act in certain way. I asked "what should I know about this situation?". As someone who naively stepped into a relationship last time I'm going to be a lot more careful in selecting and choosing what I want. That is taking the 5 swords (what I want from a situation) and leaving what I don't want behind (the two swords left). I think have an idea of what the clarification in now or rather I'm going to take my time in deciding. My last relationship was also my first one and it was all wrong for me and I changed a lot of who I was/what I wanted to be able to fit with him. I won't do that again. I'm going to assess the situation and the right decision will become apparent.

CCTheGreat

Two of Swords is a stalemate. Nothing like the 7 of Swords. The woman is holding the swords against her heart and has made up her mind. Similar to the 4 of Pents, they aren't letting anyone get in.

I always read the two of swords as a fight. Mentally and verbally between to people. Mind games, silent treatments, blanking etc

CCTheGreat

I once pulled this card for a relationship I was on the edge of starting.

They had told me that their neighbours were career-criminals, and I assumed that this was what the card was saying.

The first few weeks were bliss. Then the lying started, and went on for years, accelerating into all sorts of nasty stuff.

So heed the warning. I didn't, and I paid by trashing years of my life.

Noted. Though I doubt I'm on the cusp of a relationship. But hearing your story does make me feel like I need to examine these men over a period of time before making a decision

Laurelle

So I was feeling anxious or rather I wanted to know what my deck would tell me about this situation I was thinking about this morning. I went on a third date with this rather reserved and polite guy two days ago. He didn't reach me the next day (I should point out that up till this point all my assumptions about him have been wrong). Anyway I asked my deck "What should I know about this situation?"

Thoughts?

So, you specifically asked about the situation with this new guy, correct? And your assumptions have all been wrong, correct?

It sounds like he is the Seven of Swords. There are things you do not know about this man. There are things hidden from you at this time and he is the one hiding them.

You didn't ask the cards, "Tell me something about my love life between two men?"

That wasn't the question, so I would gather that the 7 of Swords is indicating that this man who is quiet and reserved is being so for a reason. He is listen to you, so that he can make a calculating move. The advice the 7 of Swords is giving you is to listen more to him talk. Ask him more questions. See who he really is. Have you been to his house? Have you confirmed where he works? These might be questions the 7 of Swords is advising you to ask yourself and him. How well do you really know him?

If you haven't made a commitment to either men, then I don't see how the Seven of Swords would indicate any dishonestly on your part. Plus that wasn't the question asked.