Seven of swords and dating?

CCTheGreat

So I was feeling anxious or rather I wanted to know what my deck would tell me about this situation I was thinking about this morning. I went on a third date with this rather reserved and polite guy two days ago. He didn't reach me the next day (I should point out that up till this point all my assumptions about him have been wrong). Anyway I asked my deck "What should I know about this situation?" And the seven of swords came up. I immediately went "oh" and proceeded to push him to the back of my mind.

He did text me about 4 hours later and I turned down an offer to meet with him. I met with a friend who had feelings for me in the past. Long story short, I kissed him. While writing this there is a long term, long distance flirtation messaging me.

Um am I the theif? The one acting dishonestly? I never thought of it this way because the only other time this card appeared a guy had led me on so. I've always read this card and plans and schemes behind your back, someone not telling you the whole story or being misleading.

Thoughts?

Barleywine

I recently came across a few useful ideas about the Sevens in general while reading Elizabeth Hazel's The Tarot Decoded.

They can represent a "test" to your sense of equilibrium (the unbalanced Seven coming after the balanced Six) as well as an indication that "something needs clarification." This led me to the idea that they can represent a kind of "temptation" to get moving, to break out of a neutral stance and take a new direction. Of all the Sevens, the 7 of Swords (at least in the RWS deck) seems to show the most movement (even if it does look rather devious). Whenever I see an obvious division of the suit symbols like this (the 5 of Cups and 5 of Swords are other examples), I wonder what's being kept and what's being let go. In that sense, there can be a choice involved, but it can be a case of too many options to keep it straight. At least the 7 of Swords is less ambivalent in that regard than the other Sevens. I would see any need for honesty to be with yourself first. Figure out what the imbalance between the five swords in hand and the two stuck in the ground means to you.

CCTheGreat

I recently came across a few useful ideas about the Sevens in general while reading Elizabeth Hazel's The Tarot Decoded.

They can represent a "test" to your sense of equilibrium (the unbalanced Seven coming after the balanced Six) as well as an indication that "something needs clarification." This led me to the idea that they can represent a kind of "temptation" to get moving, to break out of a neutral stance and take a new direction. Of all the Sevens, the 7 of Swords (at least in the RWS deck) seems to show the most movement (even if it does look rather devious). Whenever I see an obvious division of the suit symbols like this (the 5 of Cups and 5 of Swords are other examples), I wonder what's being kept and what's being let go. In that sense, there can be a choice involved, but it can be a case of too many options to keep it straight. At least the 7 of Swords is less ambivalent in that regard than the other Sevens. I would see any need for honesty to be with yourself first. Figure out what the imbalance between the five swords in hand and the two stuck in the ground means to you.

So you would agree that this card is speaking towards my own behaviour rather than some external actor? I've always perceived it as such.

Barleywine

So you would agree that this card is speaking towards my own behaviour rather than some external actor? I've always perceived it as such.

Yes. If it were a court or trump card I would probably see it as more interactive.

headincloud

Key word for the 7 is head games.

Padma

Figure out what the imbalance between the five swords in hand and the two stuck in the ground means to you.

Thanks to Barleywine's explanation, I suddenly saw this about your situation - you are hedging your bets. Keeping two guys on a string, so that you have more chances of having a relationship. You already have the one guy from your past in your hands, and are keeping the new guy stuck there, just in case things don't work out with the other one.

Well, that was what sprang to mind...

Barleywine

Thanks to Barleywine's explanation, I suddenly saw this about your situation - you are hedging your bets. Keeping two guys on a string, so that you have more chances of having a relationship. You already have the one guy from your past in your hands, and are keeping the new guy stuck there, just in case things don't work out with the other one.

Well, that was what sprang to mind...

And thanks for this! I could consider almost any card with an obvious division between groups of suit symbols as "hedging your bets." It's kind of what retailers do with "loss leaders:" they offer something at a very low price to get you into the store, where you're exposed to higher-priced items that you will (hopefully) be inspired to buy. It's a bit opportunistic and maybe cynical (a "bird in the hand" mentality), and I can see the 7 of Swords being cynical as well. I will use this idea in readings from now on.

Padma

And thanks for this! I could consider almost any card with an obvious division between groups of suit symbols as "hedging your bets." It's kind of what retailers do with "loss leaders:" they offer something at a very low price to get you into the store, where you're exposed to higher-priced items that you will (hopefully) be inspired to buy. It's a bit opportunistic and maybe cynical (a "bird in the hand" mentality), and I can see the 7 of Swords being cynical as well. I will use this idea in readings from now on.

Well, let's shake hands! We've just taught each other something ;) I love this forum...!

I was also, like Barleywine, thinking "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" and so this might be the tarot giving you advice on the situation - keep the one you already have, and lose the other one. Tarot can be very literal at times. :)

Grizabella

I sometimes think of the 7 of Swords as getting creative about one's strategies or thinking in an unconventional way about how to get what one wants. It can mean being sly and self-serving, too.

As others have said, it could be referring to your own behavior. But on the other hand it could mean the guy from your past who has texted you has ulterior motives. You may have dumped the wrong guy.

CCTheGreat

As others have said, it could be referring to your own behavior. But on the other hand it could mean the guy from your past who has texted you has ulterior motives. You may have dumped the wrong guy.

The guy I'm texting is new, we've been seeing each other for about 2 weeks now. The guy from my past is the one I kissed last. I haven't dumped anyone at this stage.

This sounds so awful. *nervous laughter*