The De-Enabling Thread

magpie9

QueenofPentacles said:
So I noticed ... :p
....................well, not successfully.....but then, we all have our little secrets, yes? ;)

Queen of Pentacle

Art Nouveau by Matt Myers

RaeBelle,
About the Art Nouveau by Matt Myers, The majors cards are very 80, indeed, with very "next door" peoples. You'll probably reconize your favorite aunt from way bach then, or your cute neighbour's son.

My major complain would be about the minors: they are pictured like stained glass windows, with a different color sheme for every suite, which is cute. But every suite seems to picture a story which is depected in order from card to card (from ace to 10). I like having a theme, but the point is that for each and every suit, this is a love story. So all four suit depict love and relationship.
And most of all, all the story seem quite alike.

Why dont you five a glance at
http://www.tarot.com/about-tarot/decks/browsedecks.php?newdeck=61
It could be sufficient for you to de-enable yourself.

jackdaw*

Matt Myers' Art Nouveau:

- Wands are air and Swords are fire. If you don't follow that system it can confuse you.
- Pip cards follow a (love) story, and only occasionally and tangentially the RWS system.
- Majors focus on being pretty rather than deep. They ARE lovely, but they cover such a very very small piece of the archetype as a whole.
- The artwork of the Courts makes you think that they are not part of the same deck at all. The style is different.

Queen of Pentacle

Universal Marseille and Lenormand tarot.

What's about "Scarabeo Universal Marseille" and "Lenormand Tarot" ?

rosesred

It's that time of the year again: In february we all need something to cheer us up from the miserable weather, and lack of light. Well, maybe not everybody, but I do. One of the ways of cheering myself up is to spend lots of money on lots of decks. Please save me from myself and tell me lots of bad things about these decks:

Giant RWS
Golden edition of the Victorian Romantic
Bright Idea Deck.

I can't afford to get them all, and I certainly don't need them all, so I'd rather just get one I will really, really love.

jackdaw*

Don't know about the Bright Idea Deck, as I've never had it or seen it in person. The Giant RWS, I understand, does not have a very good reproduction quality, and the pictures are somewhat muddy.

As for the VR, many other attempts have been made to de-enable that one! But if you were going to get only one, I'd say that one. Or maybe just the standard version.

gregory

Forget the giant RWS - it really isn't worth the money. And while the Bright Idea is interesting, it isn't one you come to "love" - so although I don't (yet) have the VR, I think that's the one to go for !

Queen of Pentacle

About the "Bright idea" deck, liking Marck McElroy book, I had it a while, but I was very deceived. It's one of the few decks I never had bee able to connect to. And I tried. It is just flat, "blank flat".

The giant Rider Waite I don't know it personnaly, so I won't comment.

For the Victorian Tarot on the other hand, I am enchanted of it. I loved so much the Gold that I buy the kit to get the book, and belive me, the book is outstanding. For the last months, it is one of my favorite deck, so I could note de-enable you about this.

The gold edition is very lovely and subtle, the standard one is very close to it... But frankly I prefer the gold one.

Emily

I have the Bright Idea deck too - I don't class it as a tarot deck, its way too far removed and it takes alot of getting into. I don't use it much because it always feels like trying to learn a new system to be able to read with it.

I also have the Giant RWS and I love it. I use it for study and for reading. It's just the standard size RWS made alot bigger so all the flaws you have in the standard RWS are still there in the Giant one. I've compared the two decks together and, apart from the size, the quality of drawing is identical but even so its a firm favourite - Not too good at de-enabling from this one. :)

rosesred

:D Thanks all for some quality de-enabling (bad decks) or (enabling) good decks. I really love this forum, and the in depth feedback you can get on a subject.

Still torn between getting the VR, not getting it at all, or even getting the Gold edition and book. *sigh*. I'll have to do some soul and money searching. :)

Edited to add:

Rereading I realised that Gregory, you don't actually own the VR yet???? What is the world coming to? ;)