tempted to interpret another readers spread

Michael Sternbach

Tarot is an art, not a science.

I beg to differ. I would say, it's both an art and a science. Much like astrology, or even applied psychology.

Michael Sternbach

I beg to differ. I would say, it's both an art and a science. Much like astrology, or even applied psychology.

Michael Sternbach

Michael Sternbach

Michael Sternbach

gregory

:bugeyed:

I've had trouble with double posts when the forum is lagging horribly - but this is just awesome. Is it part of the grinding slowness I've been posting about in help ? Posting here - off topic - just to draw attention to it !

Yarrow

Ha ha, Michael Sternbach, I get your point!

I don't personally like to look at tarot as science due to its lack of (consistent) reproducibility, specifically in terms of interpretation.

I worry that to tout tarot as scientific would inherently discount its virtue when two readers do not draw identical conclusions. (How can it be scientific, if you cannot reliably reproduce its results?) Honestly, this is just me being a stickler, and I would love to hear others opinions on this!

Kindest,
Yarrow

Rosewater

Back on topic, this is more of an issue for those of us who have studied Tarot card meanings and been readers ourselves. When getting a reading from someone else, it can be hard to put aside our own views, especially if we question the reader's interpretations, while someone who has no knowledge of Tarot might take it in uncritically.

It hasn't happened to me with getting Tarot readings, I've been fortunate to find good readers (good in that they were honest about the bad bits as well as the good, and offered advice when they could). I wouldn't return to readers I don't gel with, but unless the experience was so horrendous, I don't discourage others from seeing them.

By horrendous I mean, readers who drop a bombshell, shrug, and say 'next.' Or even worse, give platitudes like 'In the unfolding of the Universe it's all for the best…' That is neither compassionate or professional, and no sitter should accept it.

AriesVirgoAscending

Back on topic, this is more of an issue for those of us who have studied Tarot card meanings and been readers ourselves. When getting a reading from someone else, it can be hard to put aside our own views, especially if we question the reader's interpretations, while someone who has no knowledge of Tarot might take it in uncritically.

It hasn't happened to me with getting Tarot readings, I've been fortunate to find good readers (good in that they were honest about the bad bits as well as the good, and offered advice when they could). I wouldn't return to readers I don't gel with, but unless the experience was so horrendous, I don't discourage others from seeing them.

By horrendous I mean, readers who drop a bombshell, shrug, and say 'next.' Or even worse, give platitudes like 'In the unfolding of the Universe it's all for the best…' That is neither compassionate or professional, and no sitter should accept it.

I do not want to sound ungrateful.
But it's hard to not ask. It's clearly sensitive.

gregory

As I said when you "rephrased" - asking "can you tell me how you see that in this card ?" is one thing. It can well enlighten you - and perhaps even the reader.

Saying "but that's not what this card usually means" is quite another - that immediately says to the reader "I think you were wrong".