Baba Studios Mythical Creatures Tarot

rylla

" Originally Posted by FLizarraga
P.S. Still no news of a scarf."

" RiverRunsDeep
Well, for goodness' sake, no scarf? What's the use of even creating the deck, then??"

Ha, ha, ha! Soooo funny! :) I laughed outloud at both posts!

Alta

That's true, to a point. But their prices have gone up A LOT lately. Like A WHOLE LOT.
True. Most of their earlier decks were very much in line with pretty well any deck. Well, I just wanted to note what she said because she has tried to explain it.

I am retired and have passed on a good many desirable decks in the past few years because I found the price points quite shocking. So, not arguing really, just putting out the other side.

starlightexp

I can't blame them for doing what they have done. They adjusted their prices to what the market was willing to pay. A good number of people would buy 2,3,5,10 copies of the deck and the issue price and then once they were OOP they would be slapped up on e-bay with an extra $100 added to the price and people were buying them left and right. I used to see the same thing with deck I issued. Fortunately I'm not a fan of MRP's style but from a business standing they made the absolutely right decision. They are still selling out of the decks, making 3 times as much money from them, stopped the huge secondary market and are still beloved by their fans as astounding artists. Why would they want to go back to selling a deck for $50 when they CAN get $100? To be nice? It's business that's all.

Now if the new deck came with some palazzo pants we'll talk.

reall

I completely agree Reall! Not having a huge budget to spend on my tarot collection,I frequently can't get certain decks that I'd love but are just too expensive for me,limited edition means little to me, the particular artwork is what matters to me-all it means when something is limited is its A.Going to cost more than regular,and B.May be a pain in the butt to get hold of.
I groan when I hear something is limited...
let's make a club and demand our non exclusive POD/ Printerstudio version! :) lolz joking aside as a serious selfpublisher(Yep, I call myself like that now when I have e bay shop!^^ :) I noticed once you start seriously selling costs just ad up! x.x e bay fee, paypal fee shipping etc and when you sum it all up even my deck I wish to keep low price end up more expensive than most of mass published decks!X.X like 2-4 times!x.x and that's just base price with no profit at all!X.X so I kind of understand it's even worse when you go with best print quality and run registered shop paying rent & worker & tax and all!x.x legal regulations are not made for small publishers! x.x and in my part of the world anything related to *art is treated like a luxury and get extra tax!X.X :)) still baba studio is so famous they could easly get good deal with big publisher? :) or go with printerstudio for bnw deck? :) for all of us in mass edition club!^^ lolz :)

rylla

I think I am going to pass this one (no scarf!).

Alta

Baba Studio protects their brand by keeping their quality to a certain standard, that is what Karen said on FaceBook and clearly that is indeed their policy. MRP is established, not a new studio, and has a reputation. I understand them for protecting that.

That said I also understand the disappointment at the price of some decks.

FaintlyMacabre

I regard it as a business-related decision which they have every right to make. After Alta's post, I read more on FB too, and Karen mentioned needing funds and talk of a preorder.

As for me, I haven't seen enough to preorder (and that was the price for the Prague reissue, not this, wasn't it?) but others were anxious. I'd take their money too. They obviously want to do things other than just print decks; e.g., scarves. Perhaps I underestimate the market for large bunny scarves, no matter how aesthetically pleasing.

Diana

FLizarraga

Not that it matters to anybody but wouldn't it be nice if Karen came by to explain what is going on with this new trend or at least to say hello ? :(

That would be nice indeed.

I can't blame them for doing what they have done. They adjusted their prices to what the market was willing to pay. A good number of people would buy 2,3,5,10 copies of the deck and the issue price and then once they were OOP they would be slapped up on e-bay with an extra $100 added to the price and people were buying them left and right. I used to see the same thing with deck I issued. Fortunately I'm not a fan of MRP's style but from a business standing they made the absolutely right decision. They are still selling out of the decks, making 3 times as much money from them, stopped the huge secondary market and are still beloved by their fans as astounding artists. Why would they want to go back to selling a deck for $50 when they CAN get $100? To be nice? It's business that's all.

Sadly, you do have a point. There has been a LOT of speculation with their decks.

Still, I'm sure some people bet on the fact that the new ones are all limited editions, so they just buy bulk and sit on them, knowing that their day will come. I have a feeling that's why the special ed Alice disappeared in the blink of an eye. Flipping decks like some people flip real estate properties, until the Tarot market crashes... :bugeyed:

I think I am going to pass this one (no scarf!).

I heard they were going to offer embroidered palazzo pants, instead...

nicky

palazzo pants - now you're talking!

Attachments

• palazzo.jpg
    palazzo.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 208

Alta

Hello all,

Karen Mahoney asked that I remove the image copied from their Facebook page.

Her comment was that members could post links to their (Baba Studio's) pages or post their own photos but they preferred to not have images just copied over without the context of the Baba Studio words.

Alta