When Tarot Readers Get . . . Scary

rabid

In the words of my friend, after visiting a local tarot reader; "But she looked like a real estate agent, not a tarot reader!... Scary."

nisaba

I didn't know that either Tarot readers or real estate agents had to look a particular way. In fact that could be a problem - all people look different.

As long as both estate agents and Tarot readers have brains and a bit of understanding of human nature, then I'm good with whatever they look like.

SunChariot

214red said:
lol i am scared by alot of readers, often their tables are filled with mystical stuff that makes me want to run away!

sometiems reading i feel like a fraud as i dont have the paraphenalia associated with it, people are surprised i dont fish out a turban from my bag like mystic meg

Honestly, imo, this all makes me wonder what those people are thinking. If they are in a helping field, and Tarot readings are to help people, why keep things out on the table that are intimadating to the average person. Tarot should be about warmth and connection. It should be about workign from love, not creating an atmoshere of intimidation or fearfulness. A reader ought to create a loving caring atmoshere that immeditatly make the querent feel at home, the way I see it,

Plus, none of that paraphenalia is necessary to do a good reading, so why then have it? For me personally, I would have my doubts about a reader with a set up like that. Like if the reader was not doing his/her best to make the querent as comfortable as possilbe, WHY where they trying to intimidate rather than comfort. Maybe underneath he/she does not have enough confidence in his/her skills and is trying to hide it behind some smoke screen of illusion.

Like trying to get the querent so bambouzed with the mystery of Tarot that they will believe anything. When really it is no big mystery and a skill that anyone can learn if they try.

For me personally, I'd have more faith in a reader who didn't try to create a "spooky kind of" mystical atmosphere".

If I read in person, which I don't, I wouldn't do that. I've have a warm atmosphere, hearts around me...To me that stereotype of the scary reader is something that ought to be dispelled and I try to whenever I can. I'd so much like to see Tarot become mainstream and practiced by almost everyone.

As for what I think is scary in a reader....those readers (the fake ones) who try to scare you about something coming up in your life, then tell you you need to spend more money on the cure....

Babs

Miren

My favorite image of a tarot reader is an older woman, grandmotherly sort, in a home where she looks comfortable doing a reading at her kitchen table. Dunno where I got that, but I wouldn't mind growing up to be her. :)

Scary--I found the little girl in the 2nd series of Torchwood (on my mind today because 3rd series is airing on BBC America) to be rather unnerving. She looks like she should just be playing a kid's game with the cards and instead she's a psychic. Maybe it was just her deck that gave me the creeps, Jack is definitely the KnS, but it was bad photoshop *shudder*