I'm teaching my little daughter Tarot :)

gregory

Pagan Cats would be perfect IMNVHO ! AND it comes as a mini, so that's the size issue dealt with. (My granddaughter just met it and went wild :D)

MagsStardustBlack

Wow, cool! My son is turning 3 in a couple of months and I would love to teach him tarot. I will keep these ideas in mind, and start to expose him to his own deck soon. I will have to take care the cards dont get crayoned, torn up, bent, or strewn everywhere, or taken in the bath! Lol. He is such a boy!
Any ideas on giving him control of his cards yet finding a way to keep them safe?

Deck suggestions for children? I will have a look at Moon Garden. :)

This is a possibility, my daughter was careful with her deck and kept it in a wooden box, but over the years some cards got bent and crumpled up, but i just flattened them out and popped them back in the deck. Some cards got lost and then appeared again to my amazement after 3 house moves! I am surprised and happy she still has all of the cards. Her deck looks worn in and used and i don't mind that.... However i wouldn't have been happy with ripped cards, but that never happened. If i was you i'd just keep an eye on it, if he draws on the odd card don't worry, but ensure he doesn't draw on all the cards kind of thing. But it's entirely up to you. I taught my daughter from the beginning to respect her deck. The other thing i might suggest is to get two decks the same. I have a spare Moon Garden (mostly because i love it and want it for myself), so if she looses a card or one gets destroyed i can replace her cards when she is older if she still uses her deck. But its looking like the second deck is MINE HA HA HAAAA!!!

As far as suggestions, i'm not sure but something that will engage him in his age, the cats one sounds great (((((WANT IT))))).

opalbutterfly

How wonderful to go on the start of her Tarot journey with her!

I got a spare deck when I bought the Juliet Sharman-Burke beginners deck for a tiny amount in a charity shop. I was just getting back into Tarot and had so little money that I jumped at the chance to have any deck. It came with one fully printed and the other is a colour-your-own. I saved it at the time thinking it would be perfect if I had a child, to let them get to know the card by putting their own touch in and spend all that time looking at the picture. I plan to give it to him if he (or any future child) shows an interest in learning and having their own deck.

You could laminate the cards if you wanted I suppose, to make them more hardy, though it might make them a bit sticky to work with. I've often wished for a toddler friendly board book style deck - at least of the Majors - as he loves picking them up, moving them around, looking at the pictures. Something I might have to make one day!

Calayvie

Pagan Cats would be perfect IMNVHO ! AND it comes as a mini, so that's the size issue dealt with. (My granddaughter just met it and went wild :D)
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm curious have you used Mystical Cats before, and if so why do you suggest Pagan cats? I guess I'm asking why you might say Pagan Cats was better than Mystical Cats? (Besides the mini deck point).

Calayvie

This is a possibility, my daughter was careful with her deck and kept it in a wooden box, but over the years some cards got bent and crumpled up, but i just flattened them out and popped them back in the deck. Some cards got lost and then appeared again to my amazement after 3 house moves! I am surprised and happy she still has all of the cards. Her deck looks worn in and used and i don't mind that.... However i wouldn't have been happy with ripped cards, but that never happened. If i was you i'd just keep an eye on it, if he draws on the odd card don't worry, but ensure he doesn't draw on all the cards kind of thing. But it's entirely up to you. I taught my daughter from the beginning to respect her deck. The other thing i might suggest is to get two decks the same. I have a spare Moon Garden (mostly because i love it and want it for myself), so if she looses a card or one gets destroyed i can replace her cards when she is older if she still uses her deck. But its looking like the second deck is MINE HA HA HAAAA!!!

As far as suggestions, i'm not sure but something that will engage him in his age, the cats one sounds great (((((WANT IT))))).
Wow that's great your daughter took such good care. I hope to instill respect and wonderment in my son for his cards so he cares for them... But I won't get too bent up if its just not his thing.

Well, I'm not sure if it was synchronicity and intuition, or chance and impulse, but a cheap deck of Tarot of a Moon Garden appeared on eBay last night and I snapped it up! Oops! I don't believe in coincidences but I don't know if it was meant to be, or a test or a lesson...

Let's just hope I don't start "collecting" decks for my son like I'm trying to for myself! That would be taking my newfound almost-obsession (heavily restrained by lack of funds) too far to say the least! :)

MagsStardustBlack

:thumbsup: This is GREAT!

I agree. Besides, as you know, there is always something else to learn in tarot reading. By the time she is an adult, she will most likely be a bit ahead of the game by having the confidence in herself to read the cards--but perhaps as an adult she can take it to a whole new level, by maybe understanding how the cards relate to the planets or whatever--and begin learning that part of it. Who knows, she may also become someone who writes books and teaches classes to those adults who are interested in learning the skill!

I think its wonderful you are sharing this with her now. Not only will she possibly learn to read the cards, but its also a great mother-daughter activity to share with each other. :heart:

Your so right! I feel very much still a novice and it will take me an age to progress onto deeper tarot associations with Tarot such as you mentioned. And possibly il learn those with my daughter when that time comes for her. Its such an enriching process and adventure learning Tarot. She is ready now to start and I'm happy to let her lead. :)

celticnoodle

I keep thinking about this--introducing your child to tarot at a young age, and thinking how cool it would be if they continue to keep that very first deck that their parent(s) introduced them to at such a young age too.

Can't you just imagine one of these children, possibly belonging to a tarot group, (perhaps A.T. in the future, who knows?) and/or being a professional reader in another 20 years and saying, "this deck is one I've been using since I was *** (insert age) yrs old!" :D That will be so cool!

Calayvie, very cool that you got that deal on that deck! :thumbsup: sounds like it was definitely MEANT to be! :D

gregory

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm curious have you used Mystical Cats before, and if so why do you suggest Pagan cats? I guess I'm asking why you might say Pagan Cats was better than Mystical Cats? (Besides the mini deck point).
I have used both (and many other cat decks.) I find the Pagan Cats much more chatty - and VERY subtle. If you have it - have you looked, for instance, at four swords and 10 swords together ?

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=2629646&postcount=192

That kind of thing.

Here's a whole thread about it. There are more !The Mystical Cats is - to my mind - really nice too, but not in the same class.

Calayvie

Calayvie, very cool that you got that deal on that deck! [emoji106] sounds like it was definitely MEANT to be! :D

I hope this quote thing I did works, I've not got the hang of this yet :)

Great, thanks celticnoodle, that makes me feel better about buying it pretty much as soon as I saw it. I shouldn't be spending so frivolously, but it did feel like it was meant to be, I had only just learned about the deck here, and there it was!

My son can wait a while for a kitty deck, we'll see how he goes with this one first.
Oh yeah how much of a potentially great tarot reader could our children be by starting so young?!

But would there be a lag for a certain wisdom in their readings that you could only get from life experience? How much does that matter for a tarot reader? It intrigues me how well they could read at a younger age, without a large amount of life experience. It may be simply more applicable to my situation of exploring my life experience and growing wisdom with tarot at the moment, and I've only really just started so there's a world of knowledge in the cards that I'm still to learn, sort of a vice versa. If I'm making any sense...

Calayvie

I have used both (and many other cat decks.) I find the Pagan Cats much more chatty - and VERY subtle. If you have it - have you looked, for instance, at four swords and 10 swords together ?

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=2629646&postcount=192

That kind of thing.

Here's a whole thread about it. There are more !The Mystical Cats is - to my mind - really nice too, but not in the same class.
Thanks Gregory for the links.
I'm in a bit of a pickle now. Choices choices! :)
It'll take me a while to read through the thread, I don't get much me time at the moment. But I like the linking of the 2 cards, and it sounds as though its got lots of depth to it.

It may be quite good for my son too if he gets into tarot, although I have already snapped up a deck for him for now.
It may also get my vote if buying the mini deck is cheaper than a standard size of either, at least right now. Plus there's plenty of time for me to eventually get the other cat deck, which ever I choose.
Its the journey, not the destination- I keep telling myself this to keep from trying to buy too many decks at once.