I'm teaching my little daughter Tarot :)

celticnoodle

I hope this quote thing I did works, I've not got the hang of this yet :)
you did well! :thumbsup:

Great, thanks celticnoodle, that makes me feel better about buying it pretty much as soon as I saw it. I shouldn't be spending so frivolously, but it did feel like it was meant to be, I had only just learned about the deck here, and there it was!
I would take it as a sign that it was definitely meant to be!

My son can wait a while for a kitty deck, we'll see how he goes with this one first.
Oh yeah how much of a potentially great tarot reader could our children be by starting so young?!
I would agree. He is young, so wait for awhile before getting him another deck. See how he is with the first deck, and if it seems he is attracted to playing with the cards often, then maybe in another year or two, you can get him a different deck then. Especially at this young age--I think you should just let him be with it and perhaps take time out a few days a week to play with him and this deck. Maybe to first use the deck to teach him his numbers, perhaps? Pointing to the picture and admiring whatever it is in the picture. Such as with the wheel of fortune, pointing to the carousel and saying something like, look at that! the carousel goes around and around, etc. that sort of thing. Engaging with him in telling a story about one of the cards when you play with him and the deck. But also at this age, realize that their attention span may not last very long with this activity. He's most likely not going to be as into the deck and playing with it as we adult tarot card lovers are! :D

But would there be a lag for a certain wisdom in their readings that you could only get from life experience?
No, I don't think so. Perhaps this is suppose to be a major part of his development. A part of his life experience.

How much does that matter for a tarot reader? It intrigues me how well they could read at a younger age, without a large amount of life experience. It may be simply more applicable to my situation of exploring my life experience and growing wisdom with tarot at the moment, and I've only really just started so there's a world of knowledge in the cards that I'm still to learn, sort of a vice versa. If I'm making any sense...
Its not that you would expect him to be reading the cards at this age or even within a specific amount of time, (like another year from getting this deck). I think the thing to encourage with him and the cards is for him to get to see the pretty pictures in each card. To be able to point out something specific in the cards drawing perhaps. To tell you a story--even if he only says a few words and then praising him for his story. Taking the wheel of fortune card again. In this deck it is a pic of a carousel. So if he points to one of the things (I can't tell what animals are on the carousel to ride as I am only viewing the deck online) and tells you what it is. Praise him for getting it correct.

At this young age especially, it is important to keep it light and enjoyable and to praise them throughout. If they make a mistake don't make them feel bad about that--just correct it and move on to something that they can do positively and praise them for it. Make this a fun activity. Not something that they will come to dread and roll their eyes over. If they can enjoy the activity, then it will become a positive point in their life that they will want to repeat throughout their growing up years. And, this will in turn become a positive event in their life that they will continue to remember and build upon.

Ruby Jewel

I'm so excited!! My daughter is 7 and a half and she has had her own deck since she was 3. I bought her Moon Garden so she would leave my deck collection be. She has used her deck ever since she got it. While she was very little she would look at the pretty pictures, then as she got a little bit bigger we would play Snap with her deck with the suits. Recently we have been playing Eye Spy with her deck and Moon Garden is perfect for this, tiny hidden bunnies and unicorns peeping round corners! She has such a bond with her deck, it is literally growing with her, from a place of pure innocence through a childs eyes and it will become more mature as she see's connections to more sophisticated themes as she gets older.

A few weeks ago she said she wanted to learn the card meanings and then last night she asked again. I was going to wait until she was 10 maybe but as she is keen i thought okay. So i asked her to organised her deck into suits and numbered correctly and to organise the majors in order of numbers to. She did a great job and she understands the uniform of a deck. She also totally mastered the roman numerals! I told her the very basic of the energy of the 4 suits and their seasonal alignment.

I bought her a tarot journal today and i plan to have her make a page for each card. What i want her to do is write a few key words, in her own vocabulary (how a child may see it) and then write a small paragraph of what she feels and thinks when she looks at the image (such as a little story).

I find this whole new adventure magical. And her little tarot journal will be so special, so appropriate for her whimsical imaginative age and a treasure she can always keep. I want to keep the learning fun and exciting for her.

Has anyone ever taught a child tarot? Have you any lovely ideas i may use to teach her?

This is so precious.....now I see what fun I missed never having a child....I have stayed single....had a whole lot of fun times, but they pale next to this experience. Blessings.

gregory

But would there be a lag for a certain wisdom in their readings that you could only get from life experience? How much does that matter for a tarot reader? It intrigues me how well they could read at a younger age, without a large amount of life experience. It may be simply more applicable to my situation of exploring my life experience and growing wisdom with tarot at the moment, and I've only really just started so there's a world of knowledge in the cards that I'm still to learn, sort of a vice versa. If I'm making any sense...
What's the "wisdom" lag ? The little girl (now a bigger girl) I mentioned earlier was picking up the "usual" meanings from the cards the minute she saw them - with no teaching at all - her mother wisely left it to her to decide how to use them. I still tend not to; I read the images rather than the "accepted" meanings. The cards do the work.

It works for each individual the way it works for that individual,. I think.

Calayvie

you did well! [emoji106]

I would take it as a sign that it was definitely meant to be!

I would agree. He is young, so wait for awhile before getting him another deck. See how he is with the first deck, and if it seems he is attracted to playing with the cards often, then maybe in another year or two, you can get him a different deck then. Especially at this young age--I think you should just let him be with it and perhaps take time out a few days a week to play with him and this deck. Maybe to first use the deck to teach him his numbers, perhaps? Pointing to the picture and admiring whatever it is in the picture. Such as with the wheel of fortune, pointing to the carousel and saying something like, look at that! the carousel goes around and around, etc. that sort of thing. Engaging with him in telling a story about one of the cards when you play with him and the deck. But also at this age, realize that their attention span may not last very long with this activity. He's most likely not going to be as into the deck and playing with it as we adult tarot card lovers are! :D

No, I don't think so. Perhaps this is suppose to be a major part of his development. A part of his life experience.

Its not that you would expect him to be reading the cards at this age or even within a specific amount of time, (like another year from getting this deck). I think the thing to encourage with him and the cards is for him to get to see the pretty pictures in each card. To be able to point out something specific in the cards drawing perhaps. To tell you a story--even if he only says a few words and then praising him for his story. Taking the wheel of fortune card again. In this deck it is a pic of a carousel. So if he points to one of the things (I can't tell what animals are on the carousel to ride as I am only viewing the deck online) and tells you what it is. Praise him for getting it correct.

At this young age especially, it is important to keep it light and enjoyable and to praise them throughout. If they make a mistake don't make them feel bad about that--just correct it and move on to something that they can do positively and praise them for it. Make this a fun activity. Not something that they will come to dread and roll their eyes over. If they can enjoy the activity, then it will become a positive point in their life that they will want to repeat throughout their growing up years. And, this will in turn become a positive event in their life that they will continue to remember and build upon.
Thankyou! Yes I will keep it enjoyable for him. Essentially he can't really make a mistake because its what he sees that is what he reads. Its his to read. This thread has been very helpful to me and I will reread it later to keep on track!

Calayvie

What's the "wisdom" lag ? The little girl (now a bigger girl) I mentioned earlier was picking up the "usual" meanings from the cards the minute she saw them - with no teaching at all - her mother wisely left it to her to decide how to use them. I still tend not to; I read the images rather than the "accepted" meanings. The cards do the work.

It works for each individual the way it works for that individual,. I think.
I am in a phase of confusion I guess and because I am new to tarot, started 4-5 months ago, I think I'm confusing/integrating my spiritual awakening with my tarot learning.

MagsStardustBlack

We are finding that some of the cards in Moon Garden are not very pictorial and harder to read the narrative so I'm treating her to a new deck, a mini in a tin but not sure which one. She can read RWS so well so definitely one from this systems. Any ideas? Il need to look on Amazon to see what they have in a tin.

DownUnderNZer

Gummy Bears...if not too young and I got two of these really cool decks some years ago that would be ideal.

gregory helped me with information and something a rather....

Tiny Tots maybe?

We are finding that some of the cards in Moon Garden are not very pictorial and harder to read the narrative so I'm treating her to a new deck, a mini in a tin but not sure which one. She can read RWS so well so definitely one from this systems. Any ideas? Il need to look on Amazon to see what they have in a tin.

MagsStardustBlack

Thanks for the recommendations. Just had a look at both of those. I think they are not her thing though, a bit young, even though she is 7 she is quite mature and smart for her age and she tends to like something some sophisticated. For example she loves Tarot of Vampyres but she isn't getting that for sure. I had a look at Morgan Greer in a tin. It looks bright and colourful, but obviously I can't see all the cards to know if there is anything unsuitable in it for her.

MagsStardustBlack

Hanson Roberts ? Happy Tarot ? It does depend on her individual artistic tastes. :) Even the Wizards Tarot could be something she may find interesting ...
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/wizards/

Oh okay, yes and I'm going to have to see what she likes, maybe look online with her. For decks in a tin however there doesn't seem to be many. Is there a list somewhere I can see them all? The Radiant Is pretty too. She said she would prefer a tin deck but that really does limit her. She loves withches and wizards and general fantasy il have a look at the Wizards Tarot.