Where do you hide your decks

Kimberly

dadsnook2000 said:
Edited to add: Please visit my site http://www.tarotpride.com and fill out the survey on storage of decks -- I have some new low-cost ideas and I need to find out if those ideas match the needs for storage, accessibility, visibility, and similar issues. If all goes well I will be able to announce some new options in August.

I just did your survey! I also put some feedback into the little comment field :D

WalesWoman

My intitial reaction to the title was almost exactly as Netzachs... I don't hide my decks, but realized that they are up in our bedroom in bags or boxes on the shelves of the headboard, so are basically "hidden". But in the past few months there is usually a deck or two next to the monitor smack dab in the middle of the house, so anyone sitting down at the table will see them. So far, no one has even made one comment about them being there. Maybe they are afraid I'll ask if they'd like a reading. LOL

I have stopped hiding Tarot for the most part. What people think about it or me doing it, doesn't bother me as much as it used to. If someone came to visit, I'd run my decks upstairs before answering the door... I hid it from my mate for months and months and then felt like I was being deceptive, so told him and he didn't even blink. It was such a relief, even if he wasn't into it, he didn't reject it either and wanted to understand why I did it, and what it meant.

Judith D

I'm proud of my decks and don't hide anything at home. My husband is quite used to me doing what he considers to be weird things, and has no interest in tarot anyway. My decks are currently on my craft table in the diningroom with the files and books and decks in piles - I am studying up on some things so keep them all together. I keep my decks in little bags just to keep them dustfree, together, and safe.
At work it is a slightly different matter - several of my co-workers are 'born again christian' types and tend to think I am the antichrist because I am following buddhism, and do odd things like reiki and tarot. Still, it's my office and if they come in while I am busy meditating or checking my cards that is their problem. I just said I am the same person I was before you saw this, so why look at me differently? Still get odd looks though.

SarahRose

My room is the kind of mess that no one wants to go into, and I mean no one, lol.

I keep my decks and journal in one of my drawers in my room, covered by stuff. I do have to actively hide them.

StarUpInTheSky

My Gilded came with a pouch so I leave the deck in there when not in use and then i have two pillows in one pillow case so i put the deck between the two pillows. It sleeps with me every night. lol. No one thinks to look for it in there. Although I may have to find a new place as my collection expands and I buy 1 or 2 books.
~*Mel*~

punchinella

--Thought I'd "revive" this thread because for me, unlike most of those here, it does hit home. I'm 37 but live with parents. Last year we bought a new house, and I had an $8,000 wall installed to create private space for decks & altar. This room I keep locked, key hidden. The decks/books are in another locked cabinet in this room. The altar is set up in such a way as to be (hopefully) unidentifiable from the perspective of someone who's not looking for it, so even if space is compromised, full disclosure will not ensue . . .

The problem? Father. The other day my mother purchased a newspaper to look for a movie showing (the Al Gore global warming thing). He came through the room, saw the paper, and just flipped out, implying we had no right to it . . . Turns out the problem was a 4"x6" ad for the Da Vinci Code in a corner of the page she was reading. He broke the glass he was holding, and angrily described the film as "the most filthy and disgusting thing ever devised by the mind of man." It was a real blow-up, in spite of the fact that neither one of us defended the movie in any way, nor admitted to having seen it. Were he to find one tarot deck . . . were he to find 50 tarot decks . . . occult literature . . . the consequences are unthinkable.

Alpha-Omega, I can relate to the title of your thread :(

SarahRose

punchinella said:
--Thought I'd "revive" this thread because for me, unlike most of those here, it does hit home. I'm 37 but live with parents. Last year we bought a new house, and I had an $8,000 wall installed to create private space for decks & altar. This room I keep locked, key hidden. The decks/books are in another locked cabinet in this room. The altar is set up in such a way as to be (hopefully) unidentifiable from the perspective of someone who's not looking for it, so even if space is compromised, full disclosure will not ensue . . .

The problem? Father. The other day my mother purchased a newspaper to look for a movie showing (the Al Gore global warming thing). He came through the room, saw the paper, and just flipped out, implying we had no right to it . . . Turns out the problem was a 4"x6" ad for the Da Vinci Code in a corner of the page she was reading. He broke the glass he was holding, and angrily described the film as "the most filthy and disgusting thing ever devised by the mind of man." It was a real blow-up, in spite of the fact that neither one of us defended the movie in any way, nor admitted to having seen it. Were he to find one tarot deck . . . were he to find 50 tarot decks . . . occult literature . . . the consequences are unthinkable.

Alpha-Omega, I can relate to the title of your thread :(

You need to get out of that house. You are an adult times 20 years - you should not have to live under that dictatorship. How awful to live in such fear - and I would definitely be scared there.

I feel really bad for you, but also annoyed. Why are you not on your own? I'm sorry to criticize, but it just... aggravates me.

Bad_Calvin

I guess I am lucky. I don't have to hide mine either. Before I even started classes I let my parents know, and my wifes parents know. They are ok with it. They know that I would never do anything that I felt was "wrong". They did have questions but I was able to give them reasonable answers.

Edge

I just dug a big hole in my backyard to hide my all my tarot stuff. Hahaha!! (jk) This thread is killing me.... I mean cmon. It's one thing if your a minor and mommy and daddy object but grown adults who hide their tarot cards books etc. this is pretty sad IMO. FREE yourselves for crying out loud.

On a more serious note, I'm sure that if the great black brotherhood had their way all tarot cards, readers, books etc. would be burned! In some countries these vipers are in fact the lawmakers, and so called leaders. I joke about hiding tarot but I guess it could easily become reality for many... apparently for some it already is. I for one won't go out without a fight. :)

punchinella

SarahRose said:
You need to get out of that house. You are an adult times 20 years - you should not have to live under that dictatorship. How awful to live in such fear - and I would definitely be scared there.
I have been out for most of those 20 years, now I'm back :laugh:

Most of the pagans, tarot enthusiasts, etc. I know in person place a high value in living freely and 'coming out'; however, in some circumstances I don't think this ideal is worth the pain it causes. And, I'll sacrifice freedom for the chance to be close to the only blood relatives I have while they're still living :)