Baroque Bohemian Cats Tarot

lunakasha

Astra said:
Karen, I feel a bit sacreligeous suggesting changes, but if you put a haze over the city photo in the two of wands, so that the detail either blurred or lightened with distance, the cat would actually be a whole lot more visible, and I think the impact would be heightened.

I agree, Astra...other than that, I think it is absolutely amazing! The cat's face, the red coat, the golden globe....it is yet another beautiful piece of art, Karen! I really am getting anxious for the cards to come out...hopefully this summer!

:)) Luna

baba-prague

Yes, I agree totally on screen, but not sure in print

Don't worry about suggesting changes, and yes I agree that on screen this all merges a bit. The problem is that we don't want to knock the backgrounds back too much until we see them in print - it can make quite a difference. But it's something we are both very aware of and thanks for being honest and saying it. We'll look again when we do our draft prints - we may indeed need to take the backgrounds back a bit.

By the way, you are going to say exactly the same of the next card! But bear in mind the reason that we are keeping all this very high colour for now.

Oh - card stock? This is always hard - yes we want it to be a little less antique in feel than Prague (not too much though). We are looking at test prints on a special-order paper on Wednesday - it sounds good - but the proof is in seeing it printed. It is supposed to be "snappy" if you know what I mean.

Book? Funny you should say that ;-) We are experimenting around with the idea of starting work on a book later this year, but it's such early days as yet - and it isn't tarot so I guess does not have a place here really (though it is tarot-related). But, well, not certain as yet...

contrascarpe

Re: Yes, I agree totally on screen, but not sure in print

baba-prague said:

Oh - card stock? This is always hard - yes we want it to be a little less antique in feel than Prague (not too much though). We are looking at test prints on a special-order paper on Wednesday - it sounds good - but the proof is in seeing it printed. It is supposed to be "snappy" if you know what I mean.

Book? Funny you should say that ;-) We are experimenting around with the idea of starting work on a book later this year, but it's such early days as yet - and it isn't tarot so I guess does not have a place here really (though it is tarot-related). But, well, not certain as yet...

On the card stock issue, I know exactly what you mean. It did feel like a "snap". I went through the cards sooooo many times and they felt good. Upon my first reading, I did feel that snap, and, although I could live with it, thought about how it would feel to someone used to typical playing cards (I hope to one day be professsional in my readings, and since Prague is the only deck I thought highly enough to own two copies of - Paris may be my next - I did think about the querent's reaction).

Regarding your book - please keep me posted. I can re-send my email address, but I must say I love your artwork. My uncle is a professional artist, specializing in oriental works. But since I have a love of all that is Europe, your work speaks to me on alot of levels. In other words, don't forget us "little folk" when you finally achieve the fame you deserve :)

Dan

baba-prague

Re: Re: Yes, I agree totally on screen, but not sure in print

contrascarpe96 said:
don't forget us "little folk" when you finally achieve the fame you deserve :)

LOL! Thank-you, but I doubt we will ever be famous! Still, we love what we're doing and that's the main thing.

Here is the Eight of Pentacles - a little different from RWS :)

http://www.tarotofprague.com/cats/c_small8pent.jpg

and a close-up, because again this card needs to be seen in some detail

http://www.tarotofprague.com/cats/c_8pentcloseup.jpg

Oh - any Tarot of Prague fans may just spot a familiar figure. We wanted him in there as a little curtsy to ToP.

Hedera

Great card!

And it's wonderful to see my favourite character from the Tarot of Prague make a return! :)

baba-prague

Yes, he always looks so miserable that we just had to sneak him in again. I thought he might cheer up a bit in such interesting company - but oh no!

By the way, a lot of this was photographed in a really nice puppetry museum in Cesky Krumlov. Now those people we WILL give a free set to - because they were lovely and friendly and good fun. I think they'll like this card.

edited to say - and I hope no-one throws up their hands in horror at the deadly bride - we just had to include her, she is quite something!

ncefafn

He looks cranky to me, like an artist who's just been interrupted.

Kim

baba-prague

Well, indeed he has that cat "don't interrupt me" look - after all, he is having to make a lot of these puppets...

ncefafn

baba-prague said:
Well, indeed he has that cat "don't interrupt me" look - after all, he is having to make a lot of these puppets...

That wasn't a negative criticism, by the way. I should've written that I like the fact that he looks cranky. This is the look I get most often from my cats. :laugh:

Kim

ncefafn

One more thing -- are the puppets holding cookies???

Kim